Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Reputation System abuse crack down

......... Carport Converter jeffro ra28's Avatar

Default Re: Reputation System abuse crack down

Quote Originally Posted by JZA70 R View Post
    Have you considered either of the following?

Removing the Reputation system all together? - Over time we come to know who's posts are worth reading and those who's aren't.
    So what about the people that aren't regulars, the noobs etc and randoms just trying to source some accurate info?

I think from a "noob" point of view that peoples reputation is a big factor in how their information should be taken.

I also agree that a rep system that supports members ride thread information is very important!

Junior Member Carport Converter Z2TT's Avatar

Another vote for removing the rep giving system, I don't think you have to be "given" rep as such, you earn it when you make useful posts, and knowing that you have helped others with your posts, and others knowing that you have helped them.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffro ra28 View Post
    So what about the people that aren't regulars, the noobs etc and randoms just trying to source some accurate info?

I think from a "noob" point of view that peoples reputation is a big factor in how their information should be taken.
    How many threads do you see where someone posts something technically incorrect and it goes by un-noticed? What has been said above stands true imo. People are not scared to jump on mis-informed posters and correct them, so for the most part the 'noobs' will know what is correct and what is not just by reading the thread in whole.

The whole reason this thread exists is because the 'Rep' system is flawed and most likely always will be regardless of how much you tweak it.

We dont need to babysit or spoonfeed new members with colourful numbers that represent one's technical input on a forum, we just need to be vigilant and helpful.
    JZA70|R / 12.45 @ 111 mph.

Is a Chief Engine Builder wilbo666's Avatar

Why not turn rep into a "Number of constructive / helpful posts" sort of thing?

I.e.

Rep power stays at 1.

A list of all the posts rep has been gained for is available for every user to view.

Just an idea

Cheers
    Wilbo
    Wilbo's Wiki (Includes 2JZ-GTE Wiring, etc! )

Wilbo's JZA80
    Wilbo's JZZ12

I <3 Vito Conversion King RiceburnaGTV's Avatar

In all honestly im still trying to get my head around who is being offended by people of less technical stature having more rep then them or what the major issue is with repping people for anything you like. I have made alot of new friends via the rep system and had some good laughs inbetween. Are we really leading noobs that far astray because they are believing everything as gospel because the bloke who wrote it has 10,000 rep? We all know who talks shit,who whores and who floats about and very rarely do you get someone taking the piss these days in a serious thread without them getting flamed or the right info being posted straight after. Who are we trying to protect here?

Maybe we need to start back at the begining and work out exactly what rep is supposed to indicate.

Monitoring private rep comments seems a little NAZI to me, if I want to rep Karl for giving me a hand on the weekend and do it via the first post I come accross of his then so be it.

I honestly think a post count like I suggested that outlines ones activity in each area of the forum is a better way to gauge ones stature on here ragarding tech,whoring,or trade.

cheers
    Nath
    -Just Alloy Radiators-
    www.alloyradiators.com.au

......... Carport Converter jeffro ra28's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JZA70 R View Post
    How many threads do you see where someone posts something technically incorrect and it goes by un-noticed? What has been said above stands true imo. People are not scared to jump on mis-informed posters and correct them, so for the most part the 'noobs' will know what is correct and what is not just by reading the thread in whole.

The whole reason this thread exists is because the 'Rep' system is flawed and most likely always will be regardless of how much you tweak it.

We dont need to babysit or spoonfeed new members with colourful numbers that represent one's technical input on a forum, we just need to be vigilant and helpful.

You make some good points mate.

Opinionated Arsehole Backyard Mechanic

Edited post!
    Last edited by 4DaDrift; 05-02-2010 at 11:03 PM.
    Punctuation is the difference between...
    'I helped my Uncle, Jack, off his horse'
    and...
    'I helped my uncle jack off his horse.'

Quote Originally Posted by 4DaDrift View Post
    And you personally will be providing the free training to bring people up to speed with a complicated rep system ?
    Thought as much
    Its not a rep system! Its an individual post count for each section that indicates how much activity one spends in each section. Which I think would be the best way to gauge what each person does on here and where their expertise lies.Quite easy to understand really,and if someone cant get ther head around it there can be a sticky like all the other things on this forum that require some form of detailed explination. If theye cant grasp the concept from there then they are probably not going to add much to the forum..

Kapish?

All my love,
    Nath
    -Just Alloy Radiators-

actually not a bad idea...
    JZA70|R / 12.45 @ 111 mph.

Gary Motorsport Inc. Too Much Toyota takai's Avatar

Besides, then we get to play tetris with it all afterwards.
    -Chris | Garage takai - Breaking cars since 1998
    Sparky - AE86 IPRA Racer | RZN149 Hilux - Parts and Car Hauler
    I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

Toymods Club Member #194 Conversion King Lambolica's Avatar

Nath, You do forward valid points. However, currently we are restricted to what the vanilla vbulletin software can provide.

There is an "aftermaket" add-in that seems to operate along the lines of what you suggest however I can't understand the eleventybillion options and it it still in beta testing.

Keep in mind that the aim of the club is to provide tech knowledge to the greater Toyota community. And the rep system is there as a trigger to upgrade of down grade forum users permissions in particular for classifieds access. if the trigger for classifieds acess was post count noobs would jump on, post whore for a bit then sell stuff with out contributing to the aim of the forums. This is why rep was restricted to areas where it is deamed to come from a contributing post. If we can come up with an altrnate way of triggering permissions. the rep system then becomes irrelevant.

I'd love to limit rep points to 100 and rep power to 1 or 2 but vb can't do it in vanilla form.

Cheers
    Simon
    Beige.... The new Black!!!

Could you not incorperate the 2 then?
    Keep rep, keep it where it is now and how it is accumulated(but for members rides too I reckon). 30 gives you access to forsale forums,cap max +5 for pos rep and max -5 for neg rep. Cap it at 10,000 points(this would effictively take years to achieve and would act like the rings inside a tree showing the age of the member, and underneath that have the post count gauge as I suggested. (scrap the trade rating suggestion so it doesnt get too busy).

That way we still have to follow all the necessary protocol to get access to the forsale forums,and it will take atleast 6 people to back you to enable you to get access as pos rep is capped at 5.

As for the setting all of that up,im just an ideas man!
    Last edited by RiceburnaGTV; 06-11-2009 at 05:50 PM.
    -Just Alloy Radiators-

Craig the baker Automotive Encyclopaedia puzzle man's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by river View Post
    Hi,

There is a lot of tech knowledge in the members rides, but also a bucket load of crap.
    seeyuzz
    river
    I've posted it before and I'll post it again..

Quote Originally Posted by puzzle man View Post
    I think a better idar is having it like whats on http://forums.toyspeed.org.nz/index.php

you post a thread about you ride in Members Projects and only you can reply to.

then start a thread in Project Discussion then every Tom, Dick and Harry replys to asks questions and talks crap,
    its a HEAPS nicer look at a build up in the members projects and don't have to troll through 10 pages of crap talking
    Time is priceless yet it costs us nothing.
    You can do anything you want with it but you can't own it.
    You can spend it but you can't keep it.
    And once you've lost it, there is no getting it back, it's just gone."

Toymods Net Nazi Too Much Toyota river's Avatar

Hi,

You're still going to have the same crap, except with your idea the crap is across 2 threads instead of one. Sure, the actual "rides" thread will be neater without the extra posts from others, but a lot of those posts from others are asking how things were done, and from there things go off topic. So, at the end of the day, you will end up in the project thread, trying to find how the owner did something, and that thread will have 10 pages of crap.

seeyuzz
    river
    The thinking man's clown and the drinking woman's sex symbol
    RA25GT - There is no substitute | 18R-G - Toyota's Dependable Masterpiece
    Toymods Car Club Treasurer, assistant Historic Plate Registrar & Forums Admin

and the irony of someone deleting/un'stickying'my reputation thread is, well, ironical

i reckon the rep works as its supposed to. just some random numerical indicator of how much 'use' a person has provided the forums, as judged by others. removing it from non car is sensible, being complete control freaks about it as just dumb
    ../delete/ban
    tech moderator
    E46 M3 Nürburgring Nordschleife - 8.38