Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: NEW Forum Feature - Infractions

Toymods Net Nazi Too Much Toyota river's Avatar

Default Re: NEW Forum Feature - Infractions

Hi,

Quote Originally Posted by The Witzl View Post
    Didnt know someone other than Gav was messing with his signature. I thought that Gav editted his signature to be a little bit smart-arsed.
    Gav made his sig the large size it was.

seeyuzz
    river
    The thinking man's clown and the drinking woman's sex symbol
    RA25GT - There is no substitute | 18R-G - Toyota's Dependable Masterpiece
    Toymods Car Club Treasurer, assistant Historic Plate Registrar & Forums Admin

Junior Member Domestic Engineer

Lotta bitchin' and carrying on in here by the masses. How about using some common sense and just get the fuck on with life for Christ's sake.

Cheers, Greg.

Junior Member Too Much Toyota oldcorollas's Avatar

so what is the solution when forum users deliberately edit their sigs to deliberately take a shot at the forum rules and the mods?
    apart from being really f##kin petty and childish, it just shows a complete lack of respect for the forum, for the mods etc etc... maybe these people should be given a holiday until they learn some respect?

really sad when people have to be FORCED to be respectful

I am specifically talking about STOMPSs sig
    I have an ae86 with no bonnet..it feels like a hole deep in my sole.. can anyone help fill my void.. can anyone complete me??
    geez mate, do you feel really smart(smug?) for rewording the "wanted" part of your sig?
    why not just grow up and put a wanted thread in the wanted area of the classifieds and be done with it?
    Why not show a little respect for the forum, and respect the intent of the rules?

and to a lesser extent Gavs sig. I was watching yesterday when Gav changed it to the largest text he could, with the Line1, Line 2 etc... it was not a mod that changed it to the pisstake large sized sig..

why do people feel the need to be smartarses ALL the time?
    C'mon guys, grow up.
    "I'm a Teaspoon, not a mechanic"
    "There is hardly anything in the world that a man can not make a little worse and sell a little cheaper" - John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

AU$TRALIA... come and stay and PAY and PAY!!! The moral high horse of the world!

Gaters gonna Gate Conversion King Stomps's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by oldcorollas View Post
    so what is the solution when forum users deliberately edit their sigs to deliberately take a shot at the forum rules and the mods?
    apart from being really f##kin petty and childish, it just shows a complete lack of respect for the forum, for the mods etc etc... maybe these people should be given a holiday until they learn some respect?

really sad when people have to be FORCED to be respectful

I am specifically talking about STOMPSs sig

geez mate, do you feel really smart(smug?) for rewording the "wanted" part of your sig?
    why not just grow up and put a wanted thread in the wanted area of the classifieds and be done with it?
    Why not show a little respect for the forum, and respect the intent of the rules?

and to a lesser extent Gavs sig. I was watching yesterday when Gav changed it to the largest text he could, with the Line1, Line 2 etc... it was not a mod that changed it to the pisstake large sized sig..

why do people feel the need to be smartarses ALL the time?
    C'mon guys, grow up.
    out of hibernation then..

as for feeling smart of smug... come on.. do you honestly think i take it that seriously..

as for respect- i have no intention to disrespect the rules.. my point is exactly like yours..

Quote Originally Posted by oldcorrolas
    intent of the rules?
    the intent of the rule which i am apparently disrespecting... or so im led to believe by the answer given by big zop earlier in this thread.. is to not allow people to bypass the rules of the classified area.. as in not everyone having access..

given that everyone has access to the wanted section.. im not bypassing anything.. hence not breaching the intent of the rule... its the bullshit wording of the rule that is the problem.. and the only reason i was given was that all links to classifieds are not allowed because its simply too hard to police.. so a simple rule like "no links to classified items" is put in place as a blanket response.. the intent is to stop links to for sale items..which would be bypassing the rules of the classifieds section

so go on.. feel disrespected as much as you want.. but you got fuck all reason to do so..

Stomps

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia eeeyan's Avatar

I dont see any problems with his sig in fact i think its entirely acceptable especially line 4.

Line 5 well harden up sunshine....
    Wish I had a F#%ken awesome toyota.. saving for the goodness now.... stay tuned....

Quote Originally Posted by Stomps View Post
    as for feeling smart of smug... come on.. do you honestly think i take it that seriously..

as for respect- i have no intention to disrespect the rules..
    You obviously do take it that seriously if you deliberately word your sig to be a wanted ad but avoid directly saying it to "get around" the rules.

So.. you have no intention to disrespect the rules..... unless it is a rule you disagree with?
    In which case, what is the point of having any rules, if people like you just ignore them, even after having to explicitly agree with them to be able to post on the forum?

it's like saying "yeah yeah yeah, i'll abide by the rules.. but i won't if i don't like them"

anyway, this is just meant to be an example of how people deliberately try to f#ck with the rules, rather than accepting that they should be "reasonable" w/r use of the forums.
    "There is hardly anything in the world that a man can not make a little worse and sell a little cheaper" - John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

AU$TRALIA... come and stay and PAY and PAY!!! The moral high horse of the world!

You obviously do take it that seriously if you deliberately word your sig to be a wanted ad but avoid directly saying it to "get around" the rules.

So.. you have no intention to disrespect the rules..... unless it is a rule you disagree with?
    In which case, what is the point of having any rules, if people like you just ignore them, even after having to explicitly agree with them to be able to post on the forum?

it's like saying "yeah yeah yeah, i'll abide by the rules.. but i won't if i don't like them"

anyway, this is just meant to be an example of how people deliberately try to f#ck with the rules, rather than accepting that they should be "reasonable" w/r use of the forums.
    i like to point out absurdity....

im not saying i dont like the rule at all.. but the intention of the rule is to stop people bypassing the rules of the classifieds section.. as i have been told.. im sure the intention of the rule is not to prevent people from getting car parts they may need.. hence me wanting to question it... so it can be reworded to better reflect the rules intention..

also... yeah it may be considered fucking with the rules.. but i fail to see how its not reasonably using the forums.. im not inciting riots FFS.. i just want to find some car parts.. and potentially help another forum user to sell theirs.. therefore making everyone involved happy.... what is the harm in that?

Stomps

I'm not saying I disagree with your reasoning about the wanted section.

However there IS a wanted section. use it.
    As has been already said, it is MUCH easier to moderate if ALL advertising is removed from sigs. That way a mod doesn't have to check each persons sig to make sure it is just asking for parts, rather than selling.
    Plus with smaller sigs, forums look cleaner, rather than having larger than message text (like you do), coloured text (like you do), and wanted ads (like you do)

funny that i wander back in after 6 months and it is still the same people pissing on the forum

I'm not saying I disagree with your reasoning about the wanted section.

However there IS a wanted section. use it.
    As has been already said, it is MUCH easier to moderate if ALL advertising is removed from sigs. That way a mod doesn't have to check each persons sig to make sure it is just asking for parts, rather than selling.
    Plus with smaller sigs, forums look cleaner, rather than having larger than message text (like you do), coloured text (like you do), and wanted ads (like you do)

funny that i wander back in after 6 months and it is still the same people pissing on the forum
    i wasnt aware it was a beauty contest..

Plus with smaller sigs, forums look cleaner,
    rather than having larger than message text (like you do), forgive me.. ill change it now
    coloured text (like you do) no rule against that
    and wanted ads (like you do) no i dont..

and just to clarify.. im not advertising.. i dont have a link to anything in that text... im just saying deep inside i need something.. i can understand that having links to the wanted section would cause moderators issues.. but just text??? seriously??

Stomps

Zub Zub Domestic Engineer Gavatron's Avatar

I changed it to the large text to make a point. I had not broken the rules at all, but have received 2 infractions for doing so. The only funny buggers was a mod deleting my sig and turning them off in my user options, which pissed me off a bit.

This is a load of shit, with people being able to interpret the rules as they see fit.
    Quote Originally Posted by YLD-16L View Post
    Guilty until proven innocent.

Awesome.
    Exactly.

Witzl/Karl, I am unable to infract you cos you are a mod, but the original one I got last night, which IS YET TO BE RETRACTED, was for a sig almost identical to yours.

Quote Originally Posted by river View Post
    We seem to be forced to put in specific rules as there are some people who seem to lack the basic intelligence to understand the spirit of the rule, and rely upon literal translation. It's a never-ending circle... more stupidity and smart-arsedness equals more rules.
    The lack of basic intelligence was not on my behalf to begin with, but with one of the moderators, infracting me for having a signature that was within the rules.
    Last edited by Gavatron; 25-11-2009 at 04:47 PM.
    || 91 MX83 Cressida Grande 1JZGTE - Daily || 84 MA61 Supra 2JZGE - Track ||

MR 18RG Chief Engine Builder The Witzl's Avatar

Stomps,

having been a member of the board when these rules were originally written, I can give some insight into the reasoning behind them.

• The "No for sale/wanted/classifieds advertising in signatures" rule is in place to prevent people attempting to circumvent the restrictions in place on the classifieds section of the forums which only allow those with enough rep to post for sale threads.
    • This can be further expanded upon, to say that the rule must indeed be strictly adhered to, as a "one rule for all". Otherwise if we allowed people with enough rep to post for sale/wanted stuff in their signature... the people without enough rep would do the same and then complain about why other people can do it.

.... also the reasons Stew has just given (thanks Stew).

Trust me - the rules have been quite liberally discussed and debated ad-nauseum when being drafted up when this latest version of the forums was first introduced (back in 2005).

All rules are in place for a reason, and they are DEFINITELY not intended to be draconian. They are an unfortunate necessity thanks to the few who ruin it for the majority.
    ...... butt scratcher?!

Quote Originally Posted by The Witzl View Post
    Stomps,

having been a member of the board when these rules were originally written, I can give some insight into the reasoning behind them.

• The "No for sale/wanted/classifieds advertising in signatures" rule is in place to prevent people attempting to circumvent the restrictions in place on the classifieds section of the forums which only allow those with enough rep to post for sale threads.
    • This can be further expanded upon, to say that the rule must indeed be strictly adhered to, as a "one rule for all". Otherwise if we allowed people with enough rep to post for sale/wanted stuff in their signature... the people without enough rep would do the same and then complain about why other people can do it.

.... also the reasons Stew has just given (thanks Stew).

i understand about circumventing the classified rules.. but is it true that everyone.. no matter what rep can post in the wanted section?

it appears so.. hence everyone can see wanted ads and place a wanted ad?

in which case saying you want something in your sig is no different to posting in the wanted section... which everyone can do anyway..

so it would still be "one rule for all" but the only difference would be it would only apply to "for sale" and not "wanted" its got nothing to do with rep..

but hey.. fuck it.. do as you like.. i found the parts i needed anyway..

Stomps

the Afterbirth Tycoon Automotive Encyclopaedia PlacentaJuan's Avatar

these forums used to have such a great sense of friendship and community.

what a shame how it is turning out.

i just hope that we can turn it around before we lose any more valuable contributors.

Building Corollas Chief Engine Builder Cuzzo's Avatar

Agreed Juan.

If i wasnt so hooked on checking toymods id been long gone now. However theres some good characters that keeps me here aswell.
    KE30 4agte - Bullet - Rick Rolled
    UZX83 1UZ W58- Cruiser - Tow Car - Fun Car
    Quote Originally Posted by -GT- View Post
    You had an oil and plastics engine bay fire, with flames that reached at least to the roof - of course shit got hot, it wasn't burning jiffy firelighters back there.

Toymods Net Nazi Too Much Toyota river's Avatar

Hi,

It still does have that sense of friendship and community.

So... what do you think is causing this alleged loss of such friendship and community, plus what do you think needs, or can, be done to turn it around?

seeyuzz
    river
    The thinking man's clown and the drinking woman's sex symbol
    RA25GT - There is no substitute | 18R-G - Toyota's Dependable Masterpiece
    Toymods Car Club Treasurer, assistant Historic Plate Registrar & Forums Admin