Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: NEW Forum Feature - Infractions

Zub Zub Domestic Engineer Gavatron's Avatar

Default Re: NEW Forum Feature - Infractions

I have just received an infraction for a signature over 5 lines. It is in fact only 5 lines and meets the rules, including the 'Quote' part of the Quote. The fact that using a quote puts what seems to be a blank line under itself is not my doing.

I have not done anything wrong. I have sent a PM to the person who sent it to me. Hope it will be removed once he gets the PM. Maybe check things out more thoroughly before handing them out next time.
    || 91 MX83 Cressida Grande 1JZGTE - Daily || 84 MA61 Supra 2JZGE - Track ||

busy adding lightness Too Much Toyota MR22ZZ's Avatar

looks like 6 lines to me

the quoted line wraps around on the 'approved' resolution even if it may not with yours.
    Past Toyotas - Snow White (TA23), Blue Stivo (ZZE123)
    Current Toyotas - Hamster (AW11)
    Quote Originally Posted by X kyle X View Post
    the aw11 is rougher and more angular so it's sex Appel is more that of Sylvester stalone rather then brad pitt

The Aberrational Chief Engine Builder Andrew162's Avatar

Perhaps you could rearrange the rides and the quote to suit, and hopefully thus taking out the extra unnecessary line?
    Clicky -> THEN: 1999 RAV4/GT-Four Hybrid
    Clicky -> NOW: 1985 ST162 Celica SX (Gen III 3S-GE) - Kitted & Resprayed

TRIKKE | Video

So what text size at 1024x768 does this apply to? Whatever the moderator is using?

On my second monitor at 1024x768 it shows as 5 lines. Does that make me right or wrong?

Gary Motorsport Inc. Too Much Toyota takai's Avatar

Looks like 5 lines here.
    -Chris | Garage takai - Breaking cars since 1998
    Sparky - AE86 IPRA Racer | RZN149 Hilux - Parts and Car Hauler
    I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

Non-event now. Sig changed.

It seems to me that the quote puts in the extra line, however when you mouse-over it, it doesn't show up. Personally I think it's a bit petty.

Nice sig there too Mr Gavatron.

Edit: on a 1680x1050p monitor (22") it's still using the same lines. Made no difference.

TRIKKE | Video

Yeah, that was my thinking. I can't get rid of this 'phantom line' (as I shall now dub it). Nothing better to do I guess...? And damn, wouldn't you know it, you can't give an infraction to a moderator for "Abuse of Reputation or Demerit System"
    Last edited by Gavatron; 24-11-2009 at 11:06 PM.

Gary Motorsport Inc. Too Much Toyota takai's Avatar

I think the individual differences of the systems is a bit ridiculous, hell even on my laptop which is a 1280x800 display it wasnt over 5 lines.
    -Chris | Garage takai - Breaking cars since 1998
    Sparky - AE86 IPRA Racer | RZN149 Hilux - Parts and Car Hauler
    I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

Ah sorry, I just turned the font size up in my browser and now your sig takes up my whole screen. I infract thee!

the Afterbirth Tycoon Automotive Encyclopaedia PlacentaJuan's Avatar

hey i only read the first post so sorry if this has allready been discussed BUT,

whenever someone instroduces a great new idea to manage or improve the forums, the reply is invariable ":we dont have time for any more rules etc"

just a thought....

Gaters gonna Gate Conversion King Stomps's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gavatron View Post
    Ah sorry, I just turned the font size up in my browser and now your sig takes up my whole screen. I infract thee!
    I would rep you for that if it wasn't for my fear of being infracted into oblivion..

Lets hope they don't backtrack too far in the WPMO thread.. I had enough profanity in there to make a whole shipload of Gordon Ramsey type sailors blush..

Stomps

Quote Originally Posted by Stomps View Post
    I had enough profanity in there to make a whole shipload of Gordon Ramsey type sailors blush..
    QFT Capt. Potty-mouth

TRIKKE | Video

Forum Sponsor Grease Monkey

Quote Originally Posted by big_zop View Post
    Most of the rules have not changed in a long time, so if it had been picked up when you first posted it, it would have been deleted and you would have been given neg rep. Just because you were infracted for something that broke the rules before infractions existed doesnt mean that you should be exempt from any form of punishment.

Its a system designed to be separate from reputation and its intention is to give users sufficient warning that they are breaking the rules. The bigger the rule broken, the higher the chance of getting banned. Users make mistakes and its application is also intended to allow the user to rectify their mistake once alerted.

The "old" way of the thread getting deleted or negative rep doesn't concern me and seems appropriate.

Its "The bigger the rule broken, the higher the chance of getting banned" and "This infraction may result in restricted access until it expires" that mainly concerns me since it appears I may not be able to post in the classified section, - part of which I have paid to sell commercially in.

So far this system hasn't given anyone sufficient warning or a chance to rectify anything, it’s simply deleted and infracted

So before I get banned, do I actually need to go through and delete or change all my old posts that are now infractable?

Toymods Net Nazi Too Much Toyota river's Avatar

Hi,

I don't back-infract against old posts. I only do the new posts and sigs.

To answer PJs post regarding "lack of time to introduce new rules"..... We need to use functions that are available to us on the VBulletin software which runs the forums, and to enable the users of the forums to use these functions; specifically reputation and infractions.

With nearly 14,000 forum members it is to our advantage to let the vast majority of them have some power and ability to self-moderate their peers. It is nigh impossible for the limited admin/mods to check every post in every thread each day to ensure the rules are not broken. We depend upon each and every person to adhere to the rules of the forum - which really, as Big Zop stated, have always been in place - and more so to help run these forums by using the rep and infraction system, in the way they are intended. We have effectively given the users the power to do this, but when I saw that last night someone has given another user a 0 point infraction, for an absurd reason, it appears that the infractions (like rep) is going to be subjected to abuse.

Any rule we have, including the ability to penalise for breakage of the rule, needs to be introduced to all users, otherwise it puts more load on the admin/mods. However, when the reward/penalty systems are abused, it makes the whole concept of self-moderation rather pointless.

I don't think it makes any difference what we put in to give people the ability to moderate their peers, it will be mocked and abused. I am not sure if this is because there is a general defiance against authority, or a lack of maturity, or no respect for the forums and other users... or maybe a combination of these.

seeyuzz
    river
    The thinking man's clown and the drinking woman's sex symbol
    RA25GT - There is no substitute | 18R-G - Toyota's Dependable Masterpiece
    Toymods Car Club Treasurer, assistant Historic Plate Registrar & Forums Admin