Thread: coil-on-plug vs individual coils

Incompetent Automotive Encyclopaedia

Default coil-on-plug vs individual coils

i'm setting up my 3sgte. it is an st215 engine so has a coil-on-plug setup. i assume this also has a built-in ignitor.

interested in people's thoughts regarding converting to external coils and an external ignitor... what I would need, what the drawbacks/advantages are, etc.
    Must.... avoid.... urge... to... upgrade... parts I haven't.... used.... yet.....

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia stidnam's Avatar

Default Re: coil-on-plug vs individual coils

Why are you doing this? Yes COP apparently does not last as long as it gets heat fatigued where it is located but surely it doesn't burn out that quickly, look at the 1jz motors they have COP. Ensure that they are adequately cooled then less issues?

Why? Am putting the ST215 3SGTE into a different car with a different ECU, wanting to know if it is worth replacing the COP setup or not. I'm fairly sure I have an igniter from an older 3SGTE in my garage so there's no reason I couldn't hook that up instead while I'm wiring the ECU.

If there's a genuine performance/reliability benefit then I'll look at doing it that way with external coils (not that I know what I'm doing, but there's a first time for everything). If there's absolutely no reason you would replace them at all then I'll keep running them... but I've heard that they can be unreliable and farked if I know where I'd ever get another one if one died.
    Must.... avoid.... urge... to... upgrade... parts I haven't.... used.... yet.....

Backyard Fabricator Automotive Encyclopaedia

Stick with the ST215 standard COP setup, they're excellent COP units and the adaptronic can drive them perfectly.
    That style of Denso COP is actually used a lot as an upgrade on other engines. In the Adap just set them up to run 3ms dwell.

You wont get any better performance from a different coil setup. The Japanese made denso coils dont seem to have any issues, the indonesian made denso coils had some issues on some of the other late toyota engines.

If you were using an ECU that has a configurable dwell table, Motec recommends to set it up with the following:
    8V 6.3 ms
    9V 5.3 ms
    10V 4.4 ms
    11V 3.8 ms
    12V 3.2 ms
    13V 2.7 ms
    14V 2.4 ms
    15V 2.2 ms
    Last edited by JP; 20-10-2009 at 10:16 PM.

Great, well there's my answer. Just need to figure out how to wire them now...

Forum Member

I was told most ignition modules where the ecu controls dwell are interchangable? so you could use any 4 cyl module and keep the neet looking COPs

Backyard Fabricator Automotive Encyclopaedia

The late toyota COP's have built-in intelligent ignitors, you dont need an external ignitior to drive them.

Senior ****** Carport Converter Sam_Q's Avatar

all toyota coil-packs have the same connection

http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/fo...ead.php?t=7098