Thread: Mr2 turbo fitting st215 caldina head on rev 2 block

Forum Member

Default Mr2 turbo fitting st215 caldina head on rev 2 block

Hi. Need bit of advice if any one can help I'm fitting st215 caldina head I'm using rev 3 intake and exhaust manifolds on rev 2 block the block forged Ross pistons Eagle rods etc I've got ecu master black and using stock cam sensor from caldina head and fitting 60-2 tooth on crank and using hall sensor for crank position and uprated to top feed 850cc injectors with new rail and 75mm throttle body I've ported intake etc and I'm happy with all wiring side but timing got me bit stressed would I be using rev 3 oil pump pully with rev 3 tensioner and 177 tooth belt or rev 2 pully and 178 tooth belt. If any one can help answer would be much appreciated. Thanks

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic jondee86's Avatar

Default Re: Mr2 turbo fitting st215 caldina head on rev 2 block

If you are referring to the cam timing, all you need is twice as many teeth on the cam sprockets
    as you have on the crank sprocket. The number of teeth on the belt does not affect the timing,
    and you should select a belt that sets the tensioner near the start of its stroke when you fit and
    tension a new timing belt.

Cheers... jondee86

Forum Member

I'll be sticking with stock st215 cams and cam gears. So I'll be good sticking with the rev2 oil gear pully and tensioner and just use 178 timing belt then? Only got confused because read a thread that timing belt was size was done by cylinder head ie 177 on rev 3 upwards and 177 on rev 1 and 2.
    Thanks for reply and explains why gates racing use 178 teeth for All revs.

Cheers
    Darren

Forum Member

Meant 178 rev 1 and 2

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic jondee86's Avatar

Yes... sometimes when mixing and matching heads to blocks (such as the 4AGE head on
    a 7A block) or even taking a big cut off the head can change the centre distance between
    the cam sprockets and the crank sprocket. Then a one tooth longer belt may be required.
    Vernier cam sprockets may also be necessary for accurate cam timing, and are always a
    good thing on a built engine

Cheers... jondee86

Forum Member

Nice one thank you I've actually seen a nice set of adjustable cam sprockets at isworkz I'll order. Thanks again

Junior Member Domestic Engineer

use whatever belt matches your timing assembly. crank cam and water pump gears are the same regardless.
    for example gen 3 tensioner and idler + 25 tooth oil pump gear = gen 3 belt

alternatively gen 2 tensioner and idler with 27 tooth oil pump gear = gen 2 belt.

i would not mix and match beyond that.

further more if you can get a gen 4 sump and crank gear they run a 36-2 crank angle sensor. this would also enable you to run a black top oil pump which has the widest rotor of all 3s oil pumps.

lastly be sure your sensor and ecu can read the 6 tooth gear at the rpm you plan to run. i believe some sensor and ecus struggle over a 36 tooth when using hall effect sensors. resolution is nice but a running motor is nicer
    1990 ST185 Running stock Gen 3 power, 216awhp at 15psi. 13.6 second down the quarter

Forum Member

Thanks for that advice I have both 27 and a 25 tooth oil gear I think what going to do is when removing old engine is has a 178 tooth belt on I'll fit 27 tooth oil gear and rev 2 tensioner as I have those and spin by hand 20 or so times and if belt still tight and not slipped any timing marks I'll order new toyota rev2 tensioner and hks 178 tooth belt with new pump. Black top?? Which rev pump is that??