Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Hello and Welcome Thread.

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Default Re: Official Hello and Welcome Thread.

Hey everyone me and a friend recently brought a nice and cheap TA22 with genuine 45,000kms on the clock. Body has small amount of rust and bog but the chassis is near perfect.

Engine needs a bit of a tidy up with some new gaskets and waterpump, so I was wondering if anyone knows the best place to purchase engine bits and pieces? Repco seems to be about 2x the price of stuff on ebay but not sure if it is very trustworthy.

Just looking at making the original engine nice and reliable and using it for khanacross, etc. One day once the engine gives up might look at putting something else it but will look at that when it happens.

Hope to get to know everyone around here soon

Forum Member

Hey guys, new member all the way from Canada. I have a 1990 Supra with a 1G that Ive been working on getting back on the road. I came across this forum, saw all the knowlegaeble members and thought id join up. Looking forward to getting to know everyone and contributing back to the forum any way I can.

Blasphemist Chief Engine Builder Bananaman's Avatar

Welcome guys!

Menco, in my experience repco is typically more expensive than other chains, e.g. Auto One, barring when they have discount weekends and/or using NRMA discount. I've bought some gaskets on ebay myself, and generally it is no big deal - sometimes it is better to use genuine though (e.g. I prefer the layered steel exhaust gaskets some cars get from the factory). Water pump itself isn't really worth the hassle of a bodgy product though.

Cheers
    Bardin
    KE20 CA18DET / RN25 12R / IS200 1G / NA MX5 B6

Blasphemist Chief Engine Builder Bananaman's Avatar

Welcome guys!

Menco, in my experience repco is typically more expensive than other chains, e.g. Auto One, barring when they have discount weekends and/or using NRMA discount. I've bought some gaskets on ebay myself, and generally it is no big deal - sometimes it is better to use genuine though (e.g. I prefer the layered steel exhaust gaskets some cars get from the factory). Water pump itself isn't really worth the hassle of a bodgy product though.

Cheers
    Bardin
    KE20 CA18DET / RN25 12R / IS200 1G / NA MX5 B6

Forum Member

Hi all,

I own a 1970 LC 2dr Torana and are about to fit a 1jzgte.

Cheers Colin

80's stylin Domestic Engineer Sammich's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lc308 View Post
    Hi all,

I own a 1970 LC 2dr Torana and are about to fit a 1jzgte.

Cheers Colin
    greetings and welcome

probably worth heading over to the driveline conversions thread with a project like that

http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/eng...e-conversions/
    MA61 + 5M-E POWAZ: sold :'( | MX73 + 5M-GE: asploded. RIP :'( | MA61 + 2JZ-GE: 80's radness with 90's power/reliability/economy
    Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    these wheels are so jap I even want to kill a whale. For strictly scientifical purpose, of course.

Forum Member

Hi, my name is teejay and I like long walks on the beach, and basketball, and hip hop...

Anyhoo, for any of the WA folk who have been around antilag, you will know who I am.

Ive had... well alot of cars.

Ill be Toyota specific for now -

MX83 with a 1JZ GTE - one of the first to be done in WA, R154 included. Made just over 300 rwhp, loved that car. For a skid happy young man, it was brilliant.

Jzx100 - for a slightly older skid happy man, it was still quite good.

Corolla Sportivo - almost the most fun car I have ever owned. VVti was just so addictive - had full suspension catalouge including c-one braces, intake, exhaust, headers.. Just a hoot.

Leaves me with the current ride.

Its a 1990 Aussie LS400. ~270km, grey interior. 1UZ V8.

Recently re-regoed, 4 new tyres to do so - air con regassed 21/12/13, drives really nice, no apparent leaks. Showing as having had dealer fitted timing belt and pump at 240.

Smokers can so it stank hard. 3 bottles of freebreeze later and its heading to normality. Had massive yellow paint marks down passenger side. Huge thanks to Buffman Car Detailing for sorting those out on short notice. They came out real easy.

Few little issues -

Dash. When I got it tacho did not work - on hard throttle it comes up from zero, then falls as soon as you lift off. Speedo was also out by 5km. Fuel and temp were fine. Someone suggested tapping the top of the dashboard....

It is now borked - excused the potato pic.

I am sure I will find someone on the forum who fixes these.. links appreciated.

All windows work - but pass side will drop with main switches, will not rise with them, need to use the individual door ones. Not a huge one.

Roof and boot have paint burn, but car relatively straight for its age. Interior is also fair good knick.

So - for what I paid, its a steal.

The plan -

Sort paint. Not sure whether to plasti dip, wrap or paint. The colour, whilst nice, doesn't lend itself to blending too well with other colours, even a black roof may look weird due to the body lines being along the doors.

Redo tint - this stuff has had a good life, not dark enough either.

Lower - not coilover, prefer to drop it on springs to retain some sense of comfort, though its not a huge issue as its a luxo barge and the seats soak it up anyhow.

Some wheels - No I don't want 20x11 hectic stance - probably 18 by 8.5 +20 give or take. As fake China or as second hand as can be to keep costs down.

And some tunes - stunned at how cheap audio has gotten - will need to mess with it to bypass the factory on-board active stuff.

First V8 I have owned, so far its been a nice thing, if not fast.

Thanks!

Forum Member

Hi, my name is Ryan.

I have just moved to Canberra from NZ. I currently own a JZS147 Aristo as my nickname might suggest some pics etc can be found here http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/showthread.php?t=82228.

In New Zealand I had another 2 Aristo's one Na and one Turbo. I plan on getting either a JZX90 or 100 as my next car and turn it into a drift car.

Thanks

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

hi im up on the nsw mid nth coast
    i recently purchased a really tidy 92 mx83 cressida..ive always wanted one and this was the right price..so far im really enjoying it and have had no dramas with it..im hoping i can pick up a few tips and meet some good people..
    cheers

Forum Member

Hi (apols if this is a double post)

I am in the UK and I use my 1980 TE71 Corolla GT (2TG) in historic stage rallying.
    I also have (as a resto) another TE71, ex rally car, converted into a circuit race car. Its a replica of the 1982 Win Percy winning touring car.
    Love them but parts supply is a nightmare !
    Nick

Forum Member

Hi, my name is Paul, I have an MGB GT, they’re similar to a first gen Celica in terms of size and weight (a little bit lighter), however the B series engine that was fitted to the MGBs was as bad as an engine gets – 163kg under square pushrod engine that is prone to breaking if you ask it to produce more power. Most people swap in a V8 of one sort or another; mostly the Rover alloy 3.5-3.9lt etc, however I’m not very fond of pushrod engines. The UZ would be great, but as the car is gifted with a long bonnet I think it begs to have a 6 cylinder. I really like the 5mge – sort of has a period look about it, and I’m a fan of hemi heads.
    But, the 1ggte interests me more; I just can’t get past the idea of a turbo 2lt 6-cylinder engine, and I think that characteristically it would suit the weight and size of the car. It’s just shame the 1ggte wasn't more popular, for the sake of aftermarket parts and spares.
    So in the short term I’m looking for a 1ggte, in the long term I want to get an AW11.

Junior Member Conversion King timbosaurus's Avatar

Great idea! And welcome!

The 1g was never popular because it was the baby brother to the 7m and 1j... Both higher capacity. But it's a great engine, sound fantastic, and looks pretty good when u ditch the ugly turbos and intake, the dizzy leads, and fit the gze cam covers.

Yeah, everything is custom, but I'm guessing your not picking a straight six turbo mgb because it's an easy option...
    Current rides...
    2) White RA25ST
    1) Red RA28LT (NOW WITH 1G )

Forum Member

Hi my name is Niclas. a little about me I 24years and I come from Sweden working as an electrician. I have two car a toyota celica ra61 -84 & a nissan 350z -04.

Forum Member

Hi guys,
    I'm new to the group and looking for owners of Z20 series Soarers in Canberra.
    If you are a member with one of these in Canberra or you know someone please get in contact with me.
    My email is [email protected]
    Thanks

Justin

Old School Fanatic... Automotive Encyclopaedia jezz's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bump View Post
    Hi guys,
    I'm new to the group and looking for owners of Z20 series Soarers in Canberra.
    If you are a member with one of these in Canberra or you know someone please get in contact with me.
    My email is [email protected]
    Thanks

Justin
    Justin check here

http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/sho...ht=ACT+spotted

and here

http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/act-events/

Most of the Canberra Toyota crowd hang around in the ACT spotted thread and go to the ACT events.

I can't remember the last Z20 Soarer we had in Canberra.
    Bottom line: Life's too short, drive something you love.
    Canberra Celica Group