Thread: 4agze valve springs - green or yellow?

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Question 4agze valve springs - green or yellow?

I was gonna buy new OEM valve springs for my 4agze rebuild. Apparently there is a choice involved. There are green and yellow valve springs... I'm guessing not literally because my current valve springs are neither green or yellow.

See here what I mean:
    http://www.toyodiy.com/parts/p_J_199...html?hl=13711B

So should I 16 x green springs, 16 x yellow springs or perhaps one color are meant for the exhaust valves and the other for the intake valves?

Jack of all trades Automotive Encyclopaedia mattysshop's Avatar

Default Re: 4agze valve springs - green or yellow?

why not just buy better aftermarket ones, if your going to run big cams.. or just not touch them..?? unless there buggered... not very common to snap a valve spring in a 4age.. but i spose if you have it all apart you might as well.. i've never replaced them... inspected yes... replaced... never...

if you MUST use stock valve springs......

90501-33001 are valve springs for a 4AG smallport head according to that website..

there will not be a measurable difference in the stock valve springs in the 16v variants..

ALL 4AGE 16v's had one of 2 factory cam, they usually relate to which head they were in, with the exception of the GZE..

smallport and ALL GZE's - 232 duration, 7.1mm lift
    bigport - 240 duration, 7.56mm lift

people swap and change bigport cams into smallport heads all the time.. no drama's.. and use up to 264 duration, and 8.1mm lift on STOCK valve springs.. turn them to about 8k all day.. not problems with the valvetrain..

either or.. it doesn't really matter.. as long as you get 16 of them

hope that helps you.

Toymods Board Member Chief Engine Builder Hiro's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mattysshop View Post
    ALL 4AGE 16v's had one of 2 factory cam, they usually relate to which head they were in, with the exception of the GZE..

people swap and change bigport cams into smallport heads all the time.. no drama's.. and use up to 264 duration, and 8.1mm lift on STOCK valve springs.. turn them to about 8k all day.. not problems with the valvetrain..

hope that helps you.
    I have been led to believe that there is a difference between the bluetop bigport and red/blacktop bigport cams, and it is only the bluetop ones which are desirable for the swap (the red/blacktop ones aren't too different from smallport ones)
    AE102 - Charlene the Old Faithful, Reborn
    JZZ30 - Lexi the Spacecruiser, 1JZGTE>>3SGE. 200rwkw, hunting Skylines and n00bs in SS Commodores
    ST162 - Charlie the non-ghey Celica, 3SGE>>4AGE. GOOOOOOOONE
    AE82 - Rosie the Bitsa from Hell, 70.8kw atw. Has been converted into garage space and money at last
    KE55 - Billie the Beast, sadly missed

think they might have been talking about the bigport GZE.. the MR2 and early AE92 AFM version.. they had 232's in them.. that is the only bigport that came with 232's all na bigports came with 240's..

thats what i have experienced.. if somone wants to pull open thier red/organge/purple top (i never use these to identify 4age's as they are not really relevent IMHO) and confirm otherwise i'll be all ears..

Toymods Board Member Chief Engine Builder Hiro's Avatar

think they might have been talking about the bigport GZE.. the MR2 and early AE92 AFM version.. they had 232's in them.. that is the only bigport that came with 232's all na bigports came with 240's..

thats what i have experienced.. if somone wants to pull open thier red/organge/purple top (i never use these to identify 4age's as they are not really relevent IMHO) and confirm otherwise i'll be all ears..
    Toyota list different part numbers for bluetop (ie 3-rib) bigport camshafts compared to the red/blacktop (ie 7-rib) bigport camshafts. If you look at AW11 MR2s as base, they have the same part number for the 4AGZE camshafts as they do for the 7-rib 4AGE, but different to AE86 3-rib camshafts.
    AE102 - Charlene the Old Faithful, Reborn
    JZZ30 - Lexi the Spacecruiser, 1JZGTE>>3SGE. 200rwkw, hunting Skylines and n00bs in SS Commodores
    ST162 - Charlie the non-ghey Celica, 3SGE>>4AGE. GOOOOOOOONE
    AE82 - Rosie the Bitsa from Hell, 70.8kw atw. Has been converted into garage space and money at last
    KE55 - Billie the Beast, sadly missed

Olde mechanic Carport Converter oldeskewltoy's Avatar

Stock springs fatigue....

Information is POWER... learn the facts!!

Quote Originally Posted by Hiro View Post
    Toyota list different part numbers for bluetop (ie 3-rib) bigport camshafts compared to the red/blacktop (ie 7-rib) bigport camshafts. If you look at AW11 MR2s as base, they have the same part number for the 4AGZE camshafts as they do for the 7-rib 4AGE, but different to AE86 3-rib camshafts.
    fair enough, the AW11's versions of 4age's just seem to be a moungrel of an animal.. bits from both main generations of the 16v.. it makes things really hard when toyota don't put part numbers on thier cams!

maybe the bigport head/7 rib block, with weird dizzy and leads had been fiddled with before i got it?

why not just buy better aftermarket ones, if your going to run big cams.. or just not touch them..?? unless there buggered... not very common to snap a valve spring in a 4age.. but i spose if you have it all apart you might as well.. i've never replaced them... inspected yes... replaced... never...

if you MUST use stock valve springs......

90501-33001 are valve springs for a 4AG smallport head according to that website..

there will not be a measurable difference in the stock valve springs in the 16v variants..

hope that helps you.
    Well yes I was planing on keeping my stock smallport gze cams. I've read that the map based 4agze engine with stock ECU tends to have problems with idle if you change cams.
    Any thoughts on this?

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia

I never ever came across colours with valve springs in my 6 years at Toyota.
    i would not take that site as 100% gospel, check with Toyota themselves first.
    Also I would be rather surprised if the 4agze springs were different from the 4age ones
    I DONT WORK FOR TOYOTA ANYMORE
    please, no more PMs!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Revhead View Post
    I never ever came across colours with valve springs in my 6 years at Toyota.
    i would not take that site as 100% gospel, check with Toyota themselves first.
    Also I would be rather surprised if the 4agze springs were different from the 4age ones
    It was the guy at Toyota who asked me which color springs I want. He didn't know the difference

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia

Well that's pretty weird....
    I DONT WORK FOR TOYOTA ANYMORE
    please, no more PMs!