View Poll Results: To rebuild, or not to rebuild?

Voters
3. You may not vote on this poll
  • Keep it cheap and see what happens, 22Rs run forever!

1 33.33%
  • Do the head while the thing is apart but leave the bottom end alone!

1 33.33%
  • Bite the bullet, spend the money and enjoy the bliss of reliable motoring - with a warranty!

1 33.33%

Thread: To rebuild, or not to rebuild?

Incompetent Automotive Encyclopaedia

Default To rebuild, or not to rebuild?

Hi guys

I'm doing a fairly major overhaul on my 22RE Corona. The Corona is my second vehicle and mostly gets used for light towing duties (about 500kg including trailer). The car has done 307,000km but drives wonderfully and generally runs smoke free.

It had a bit of a nasty rattle which was getting worse by the day, so I decided it was best to do the timing chain. As a result the mechanicals are somewhat disassembled as it needs a new timing chain, water pump, rear main oil seal and sump gasket while it's apart.

As I am going to this trouble, I am trying to decide if it is worth rebuilding the engine. A rebuild will cost about $1250 for the bottom end and about $150 for basic machining & new valve stem seals for the head. That's a LOT of money when the car cost $750... but given the trouble & expense I am going to, combined with the fact that I will be keeping the car for at least a few years (I have no need for anything better as it is simply my tow car), I am still considering a rebuild.

What do you think!?
    Must.... avoid.... urge... to... upgrade... parts I haven't.... used.... yet.....

Gary Motorsport Inc. Too Much Toyota takai's Avatar

Default Re: To rebuild, or not to rebuild?

I reckon leave it all alone, replace the timing chain and do some preventative on the head, but not much at all.
    While you are at it though start looking around and see if you can pick up a 22RE cheaply so that when one goes you can throw the other in,
    -Chris | Garage takai - Breaking cars since 1998
    Sparky - AE86 IPRA Racer | RZN149 Hilux - Parts and Car Hauler
    I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence