Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: GUIDE - 85amp EA Falcon Alternator onto 18R or T series engines

Junior Member Domestic Engineer

Default Re: GUIDE - 85amp EA Falcon Alternator onto 18R or T series engines

i picked up one of these alternators the other week, (witzl's style, not the style you are talking about on ebay).
    BUT
    before i put it on my car i got the slip rings, and the bearings replaced in the alternator first.
    in doing this i actually pulled the thing apart to get the autoelec to replace the slip rings and realised how easy it would be to just grab an 85 amp alternator and the appropriate pulley wheel and putting them together.
    If you find an 85 amp dooberie but it has the wrong pulley on it, all you really need to do is grab the correct pulley off of an alternator that does have one.
    i was able to remove the front bolt that secures the pulley by wedging the alternator into the vice to stop the span from spinning.
    if you were doing this down at the wreckers, just find a way to stop the fan from spinning (possibly a screwdriver although this is mean and cruel for the next person that might want the alternator)and remove the bolt, grab the pulley, and you have everything you need to get what you are after to make this work.

My Wife says I have Too Much Toyota o_man_ra23's Avatar

Why not just get one with the right pulley?? If the 18R pulley will fit (maybe redrill the hole) then you should be all good with either model. Dont forget to get the plug.

Cheers, Owen
    Cheers, Owen
    1977 RA28 with 1JZ-GTE (Was 18R-GTE)
    Lancer EVO Brakes into old Celica/Corolla/Corona
    Doing the things that aren't popular... cause being popular and being good are often distinctly different.

on the ea one, the pulley bit that makes up the v.belt arrangement is actually made up of two conical shaped pieces turned inside out to allow the v belt to fit between it.
    so the arrangement is nut-washer-outside v casting-inside v casting - another washer-casing (or something like that).
    when i was looking at the wreckers i did come across an alternator that was right but it was multi ribbed so i immediately dismissed it...but that was before i pulled the one i eventually found apart and saw how easy it was to change the pulley arrangement.
    if 18r is the same style then you could probably be on a winner, just grab any 85 amp alternator from that general series failcan (bosch brand), regardless of belt arrangement and use the 18r pulley when you get home.
    I will pull apart my pulley on the weekend and confirm if this would work or not.

i still need to get a regulator for mine however (so far cheapest price i have found is 40 dollars for a new one from our local auto store.)

My Wife says I have Too Much Toyota o_man_ra23's Avatar

40 squid for a regulator is pretty good, we used to pay $25 plus tax trade price from a wholesaler (did not sell to public, account only), and then sell them for $60... sold quite well...then we charged another $60 to fit it (took about half an hour). Fords are a cash cow if you are in the business of fixing them or selling parts for them.

Cheers, Owen
    Cheers, Owen
    1977 RA28 with 1JZ-GTE (Was 18R-GTE)
    Lancer EVO Brakes into old Celica/Corolla/Corona
    Doing the things that aren't popular... cause being popular and being good are often distinctly different.

Junior Member Too Much Toyota

Ripco sell the regulator for these for >$50 - unless you can buy trade, then $40 might be a reasonable price.
    ------------------------------
    ST185 road barge / MZ11 forest barge / RA65 garage barge

alas my cheaper price i found ended up being for a regulator without a plug on top of it.
    you guys are right about that price though $54 seems the going rate at the moment.
    Apparently the one i am after is bosch part number RE60.
    Does anyone know of any cars out there that might have an equivalent regulator in them with this same plug. I am not quite willing to spend that much on an alternator i don't even know if it works or not.
    I figured if i can get one off of a wreck, then if it is ok, i can simply look at purchasing a proper one then.
    All the fords' regulators at our local pick a part have been 'borrowed' so now i need to look in other cars.
    any ideas (I have a vague recollection a VN commondoor style regulator might look similar and i know in general bosch regulator parts are fairly interchangeable, so there must be something out there)?
    and I don't have access to trade prices unfortunately
    Last edited by barned01; 25-03-2007 at 01:59 PM.

Junior Member Too Much Toyota

early 4Cyl Magnas have similar alt to the Falcon - slightly lowere= amperage but physically the same.
    ------------------------------
    ST185 road barge / MZ11 forest barge / RA65 garage barge

1941cc 2T-G Domestic Engineer w810sc's Avatar

hey fellas,
    I did this to the 2T-G. A couple of things i have done to achieve this:

- Take off the pully from you standard alternator and put in on the EA making sure they line up with the other pullies. Use washers if needed.

- Grind the lower standard 2T-G alternator bracket so that the alternator is as close to the block as possible.

- Modify the EA upper alternator bracket to clear the lower radiator hose.

I didn't need to buy another belt as mine had enough deflection to keep it tight.

maximum deflection with belt on the alternator:

minimum deflection:

Modified EA upper alternator bracket:

Modified 2T-G lower alternator bracket:

Picture of how close i got it to the block:

As for the wiring on the alternator, this is what i did:
    B - this is connected to the battery
    S - this is connected to the B
    L - this is connected to the charge light
    fonzy
    deepdishfactory
    2T-G - Half the valves but twice the fun.

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic ONCE-NA's Avatar

Regarding the plug, don't know if this has been said yet, but all the ea ones I've seen, the plug on the reg is a standard bosch style injector plug...

MR 18RG Chief Engine Builder The Witzl's Avatar

Yep it sure is .... which makes finding a plug really easy.
    I just like the plug that is on the EA falcon cos it's much easier to remove than the normal bosch injector plugs (just squeeze the metal clip and it comes off).

Good to see this works for the 2T-G too!! I'll put that in the FAQ
    ...... butt scratcher?!

Hey Guys on the EA Alternator, there are two wires from the regulator .

Which goes to which spot on the exisiting regulator plug as i can not tell from the picture as they are taped up and both are green wires..
    RA23 Celica - 18RGU.

Learning the art of car restoration
    Two Kids + Two adults + Two Cats in one bed.. INSANE

As dodgy as a Backyard Mechanic GT1978's Avatar

After seeing the wafer thin rear section on this bracket I was glad I had a 18RG and not a 2TG.

I still chose to change my thinking and do some more investigating as the front of the 18RG mount is meatier than the rear section.

I found I could use the nippondenso pulley and space it using what appears to be a bush that was also in the front of the old alternator. This gave me all but 1mm required to grind the more meaty front of the cast bracket leaving two strong looking points rather than one strong and one wafer thin. The last 1mm I took off the rear of the alternator where there was a slight raised section.

For the lower mounting bolt issue I just ran a drill (think its 10mm) through the front threaded side. This allows the original bolt to slide in from the front (depending on how close any thermo fans / radiator are) with nut on rear like standard.
    RA28 (18RG)Members Ride
    RA40 (3TGTE)
    RA40 (18RC)
    SXA11R Rav4 Cruiser
    ACA33R Rav4 Cruiser

Forum Member

Hi, anyone know if the 3y alternator is the same.? My '85 hilux voltage regulator has died and this might be a cheap fix.
    thanks

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Gidday Witzl,

Trying to do this conversion but don't have a spare alternator bracket for the 18rc. Would you have a spare floating around as Pickies and most all others don't touch 18, 20 or 22r anything now.

cheers for the original thread.

-edit Cheers chris for the bracket! A gentleman on here. -edit

Any chance the pics could be put back up to check the wiring I do is right?
    Last edited by daddylux; 21-05-2012 at 01:18 PM.

Thumbs up Re: GUIDE - 85amp EA Falcon Alternator onto 18R or T series engines

For the top bracket I ended up using half Falcon bracket half Toyota 18RC bracket, I have access to a welder. =P

The bottom bracket I modified the same way, Didn't have access to a grinder so used a hacksaw.

I can run my sub, headlights, windscreen wipers and hazzards with only a little voltage drop, Before it would struggle with headlights and wipers O__o

Easy to follow tutorial! Well done ;P Will be doing this to my 18RG too.
    My Daily: NooB's Delivery Vehicle
    My wife's Daily: Series B RA40 Liftback 22RE, power steering, AC. Cushy as.
    Current Project: NooB 3TGTE swap
    Back Burner: 1964 Toyopet ToyoAce, and a Series B TA45 GT coupe
    Too many cars