Thread: Suspension setup help

Bottled up Domestic Engineer charliechalk's Avatar

Default Suspension setup help

Alrighty, so, the story thus far.

I have one st162, front and rear coil over sleeve kits, some spare front struts.

Now so far, I have pulled apart and ground down the front struts to get them ready. now, the next thing is shock choice.

I have a pair of KYB excel g inserts for the car, does anyone thing that these will work well, or should I try and pawn them off and get something more upmarket, or shorter stroke?

If you know of any short strokes that would be a good choice I am open to suggestions.

Next, when assembling I assume that there should be some (even a minute amount) of compression in the keeper spring once assembled and the shock is fully extended?

Now, because the rears are sealed units do I just grind away until the innards spew forth and then get a thread machined into them so that they are suitable for inserts? Are there any substitutes that came with inserts that can be used, say from an st184 or camry of sometype?

If any measurements are required please let me know and I will get them up as soon as I can.

No concerns with top fitments etc. I have read all of the guides and the hard part would seem to be getting the right shock travel length/mutilating struts

All help will be appreciated.

Junior Member Too Much Toyota

Default Re: Suspension setup help

excel g are at the cheaper end of the market - what are you intending to do with the car? that should determine what kind and length of insert to use.

re: rears, drill a small hole in the rears near the base of the strut - you'll get oil everywhere but a much safer way of doing it that with the grinder at the top (oil, heat and sparks combined are not ideal). Weld up the hole when done.

Get a second pair of struts to donate the threaded section for the rear (any will do as long as the ID and thread is right) then trim off the top section of the donor units. Fit coilover tube to rear strut tubes slide donor top section down inside and weld to coilover tube at height to suit your inserts.
    ------------------------------
    ST185 road barge / MZ11 forest barge / RA65 garage barge

Thanks, I'm trying for the roadworthy track car. Is there difference in damping rate between the different shocks? Or are they just better quality? I've had a look at some manufacturers websites but found nothing regarding damping rates.

Junior Member Too Much Toyota

different rates for each car and they don't usualy publish rates - but if you're going to get expensive inserts, you may as well get some eBay coilovers+inserts (e.g. BC's on ebay) as the exercise starts to get more expensive than an nearly-off-the-shelf solution.
    ------------------------------
    ST185 road barge / MZ11 forest barge / RA65 garage barge

Just to dig up my thread because I have one last question to finish the rears off.

Does it matter if I build the rears off a non oem strut as they are sealed units. I would be inclined to say it wouldn't make any difference at all. I have a set of kyb and a set of monroe ones that could be used as the shells.