Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brake squeal - NOW faulty pads perhaps... anyone seen this before?

Crazy Chief Engine Builder 1JZ-Rolla's Avatar

Default Brake squeal - NOW faulty pads perhaps... anyone seen this before?

Did a search but found nothing conclusive...

I've recently fitted Queensland Friction Material's A1RM compound track pads to my AE71 Corolla, which runs a Hoppers Stoppers 290mm brake kit (twin spot sliding caliper).

After bedding in the pads, they have a horrid squeal when driving with NO brake applied, like a constant high pitched oscillating noise, both sides. The pads make no noise at all once light brake pressure is applied, regardless of hot or cold.

I checked the obvious things: caliper anti-rattle spring plates fitted, wheel bearings adjusted, mounting surfaces between caliper & pad backing plate clean, but all to no avail.

Any pointers on how to kill this annoyance? I know some people use a high temp lubricant on the back of the pads, but to be honest i'm not really keen on putting anything liquid near the discs cause they must get damn hot at the track.

Cheers
    Phil
    Last edited by 1JZ-Rolla; 22-08-2009 at 05:54 PM.
    AE71 Corolla 2 door window van - retired / JZA70 Supra - VVTi converted - sold

anti blasphemy ! Carport Converter

Default Re: Eliminating brake squeal

you can get anti squeal spray that you spray on the back of the pad (it drys) and that stops squeals sometimes.
    if they're comp pads there going to squeal and theres nothing you can do about it but if there squealing with no pedal pressure theres something else touching, to totally eliminate the pads buy some cheap cheap pads and wack them in and see if the noise stops and go from there.

sometimes chamfering the outside edge of the pad can stop squeals too.
    i dont have a funny or cool signature.

Senior Citizen Chief Engine Builder "Z" UTE's Avatar

Yeah mate the red anti squeal compound on the back and sides of the pad works well. Dries to a rubbery consistency, and absorbs small vibrations.

cheers Chuck.
    "What man can build, man can fix!"
    MS51Crown Coupe,
    GSV40R Aurion luxo tourer. One TA22 currently receiving some TLC prior to paint One RS56 Crown ute under construction, 2 x TA22's awaiting rebuilds. Toyota Crown RS47J ute in need of serious TLC. Toyota Crown Custom Wagon MS53 daily hauler stocko!

Does this product have a brand & particular supplier?

CRC "Disk Brake Quiet", borrow mine if you like.

Probably purchased it at Repco, or Auto Pro down in Tuggers.

cheers Chuck.
    MS51Crown Coupe,
    GSV40R Aurion luxo tourer. One TA22 currently receiving some TLC prior to paint One RS56 Crown ute under construction, 2 x TA22's awaiting rebuilds. Toyota Crown RS47J ute in need of serious TLC. Toyota Crown Custom Wagon MS53 daily hauler stocko!

I knew you'd have the detail Chuck

If you're ok with me trying it, i'd appreciate borrowing yours thanks. If its a winner, then a can of the stuff will find a permanent home on the shelf in the garage

No worries Phil, it just too a walk out to the shelf in the COLD garage. Drop by anytime,

cheers Chuck.
    MS51Crown Coupe,

anti blasphemy ! Carport Converter

i use wurths anti squeal, not shaw where you get it from becuase we order it from wurths and they drop it off.
    i dont have a funny or cool signature.

Yeah my lad uses the same Wurth stuff in a spray can, again direct delivery to the workshop.

cheers Chuck.
    MS51Crown Coupe,

I may have found something that is contributing to the squeal.... and even if its not the cause, I think I should be concerned in any case!

As you can see above, the friction material is not bonded to the backing plate for the entire surface, I can see a gap between the two extending from the leading & trailing edges for about 40mm, enough that I can slip a sheet of paper inbetween.....

Manufacturing fault perhaps? Anybody seen this before?

Cheers
    Phil

Junior Member Too Much Toyota YLD-16L's Avatar

Default Re: Brake squeal - NOW faulty pads perhaps... anyone seen this before?

Just had a look at 4 different brands of used pads and none are like that at all.

Looks bad and I suspect potential for the un-bonded part to break off
    My KE25 thread
    WSID - 12.8@108mph || Wakefield Park - 1:11.4 || SDMA Hillclimb - 49.1

That's what i'm afraid of, there are already fractures in the friction surface, which is not uncommon with heat-cycling I guess, but combined with not being bonded could mean a large chunk coming away altogether.

Guess I better visit the place I bought them from on Monday.

Junior Member Carport Converter RA35GT's Avatar

Definately dodgy manufacturing there!
    1977 RA35 Celica GT - I4 | 2007 GSV40R Aurion - V6
    Don't live life being scared of death, live in the fear of not truly living. RP 2012

Junior Member Too Much Toyota

let QFM know directly - a few rally guys up here use them without issue (and gravel rallying is not easy on bakes) so interesting to hear that the backing plate bonding has failed.
    ------------------------------
    ST185 road barge / MZ11 forest barge / RA65 garage barge

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic DrNick's Avatar

Up until recently that anti-squeal compound (I use the dynagrip one) has fixed everything. However one of my cars developed this noise under light braking which was very hard to get rid of. I removed the pads, cleaned, applied anti squeal, removed rotors and deglazed them and also deglazed the pads... Reassemble and its still there. After 2 or 3 attempts i swapped the pads over between the left and right sides and it fixed the noise.
    Still have no idea why it started (they werent new pads) but i just thought the info might be useful to somebody.

In the case of the OP, my money would be on that friction material and I wouldnt put it back on like that. Try and get the supplier to warranty the pads.