Thread: Single setup on 1ggte thoughts

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Default Single setup on 1ggte thoughts

here are the specs for a 1ggte i want to build. Please voice your thoughts on it and if you have hyad any experience as to what specs i am building it to, as it is going into a hilux which will be used to tow dirt bikes, aswell as a quick street car. And before anyone says dont bother put in a 1j please understand that i already have a 1ggte in my ute, but have a spare motor lying around i wanna throw some money at it for something different. Just looking for something thatll come on a bit quicker, but have a fair bit more grunt than the standard ct12s.

already has standalone computer microtech lt10, obvious retune once motor is in

gen 3 1ggte - gonna pull of head and get it serviced, and new headgasket as its been sittin round for a while.

gt2871r with with 0.64 ex trim, was originally thinking diso potato, but mates with similar sized 6cyl said potatoes ran out of puff up top, and the 2871r was only a bit laggyer but stayed on stronger

550cc 7mgte injectors/ Arent Gen 3 injectors high impedeance, and 7mgte injectors low impeadence?

was thinking of keepin the boost lowish maybe 15psi? as i want to thrash the bejebus out of it like i do now

And would it be worth trying to find a metal head gasket while the head is off? i have already tried to source a HKS metal head gasket only to find they do not make them anymore

Does anyone know if 550cc will be to big for this application at moderate boost eg shit idle and such

lastly is upwards of 200 - 220kw atw feasible/reliable with this setup

thoughts and advice much appreciated

cheers, michael

Current UZA80 owner Chief Engine Builder JustCallMeOrlando's Avatar

Default Re: Single setup on 1ggte thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by akmehd View Post
    already has standalone computer microtech lt10, obvious retune once motor is in

gen 3 1ggte - gonna pull of head and get it serviced, and new headgasket as its been sittin round for a while.
    Both good.

gt2871r with with 0.64 ex trim, was originally thinking diso potato, but mates with similar sized 6cyl said potatoes ran out of puff up top, and the 2871r was only a bit laggyer but stayed on stronger
    That was one of the ones I was looking at before I sold my car. In the end I'd decided on a KKR380, similar capabilities at a lower entry price. Good supplier in Otomoto too.

550cc 7mgte injectors/ Arent Gen 3 injectors high impedeance, and 7mgte injectors low impeadence?
    7MGTE are 430cc, and yes, low impedance. Gen3 1GGTE are high impedance. It will depend on what your Microtech is setup for I suppose. The Adaptronic I was using didn't care, I don't know about Microtech sorry.

was thinking of keepin the boost lowish maybe 15psi? as i want to thrash the bejebus out of it like i do now

And would it be worth trying to find a metal head gasket while the head is off? i have already tried to source a HKS metal head gasket only to find they do not make them anymore
    Metal head gasket isn't required. A fresh factory gasket and bolts, with a nice Hylomar seal and properly cleaned head and block should be fine. Given the age of the motor, most failures are likely to come from the bottom end, perhaps throw a new set of bearings at it while it's apart?

Does anyone know if 550cc will be to big for this application at moderate boost eg shit idle and such
    Even though they're actually 430cc, technically speaking, no 550cc shouldn't be too big. They're oversized, but should be okay with a good tune.

lastly is upwards of 200 - 220kw atw feasible/reliable with this setup
    Yep, that is a realistic goal and the car will feel more powerful everywhere with a much better top end.

Cheers,
    Nathan
    Teh UZA80 - Project Century - Remotely p00'd by association

The old One Backyard Mechanic

Michael

What you are considering is what I have in my car - look at members rides.

I get the RWKW that you are looking at with that boost. I personally am of the view that the factory head gasket is more than appropriate for your use. I understand that head gasket problems with 1GGs relate more to engine age (possibly made worse with incorrect coolent) and to poor tunes that to any inherent weakness to the clamping. Just a correction I believe that the 7MGTE injectors are 440cc. They seem to be perfect for the task.

You will need to look at idle control as (I don't think) the Lt10 will not drive the stepper control that you have. I moved to a ED/EL Falcon throttle body and use the Falcon idle control and TPS (don't forget to get the short loom that goes with the TB. I also blanked off the distributer (ie removed the cap) and used it only to provide timing control to the Microtech and used ED/EL coil pack in waste spark mode.

Microtech are familar with this configuration and will set up the computer for you.

Cheers craig

ill be running CAS sensor which is already in my setup anyway, and the 550cc are jsut what im looking at brand new as you can get 550cc 7mgte ones from the states pretty cheap.

i know after research that 6boost says the upper limits of the 1ggte are 350-400rwhp, but i would like to know how thrashable they are at this figure, as i know they suffer from shit oil supply to crank mains

cheers guys thnks for input so far

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic Valkyrie's Avatar

My brother has that exact turbo in his SR20. He fuels his with 4 x 550c injectors and a 550 hp Bosch fuel pump.

He made 244 rwkw with the turbo set at 1.4 bar (he has some mild cams). It bleeds of slightly at sits on 1.3 bar at redline (7200 rpm I think).

It come on boost quite nicely, and easily fires the tyres on my brothers 180SX through 3rd and 4th gear

If you can, either port the wastegate out or go external wastegate if possible. This is really only required if you want to push much more than 1.3 bar into it.

I know yours is a six, but it's a 2 litre like the SR20 and my brother loves the turbo. He went from T25G (standard), then T28 (S15 200SX turbo), HKS GT-SS, and now the 2871R.
    [ $[ $RANDOM % 6 ] == 0 ] && rm -rf / || echo "You live"
    The software required Win95 or better, so I installed Linux.
    4AGZE into TA22 http://www.toymods.net/forums/showthread.php?t=16775
    1JZ powered RA60 https://www.toymods.org.au/forums/th...light=1jz+ra60

Junior Member Carport Converter RAd28's Avatar

I'm acctually looking to venture down the path of a single turbo 1G, But my main concern in the choice of turbo itself. The manifold I have has a T03 flange. Not knowing much about aftermarket turbos, does anyone know of a T03 flanged turbo suitable for the 1G with modest power goals in mind (200kw would be ample)
    '77 RA28LT #2 ← 2.2L 18RG...

"it went up in a jiffy" Conversion King Kedderz's Avatar

Look at my build thread, I have exactly what you are proposing and have 223rwkw at 18psi.
    RA23 - Twincharged
    JZZ20 - Daily

she loves me coz im a Conversion King love ke70's Avatar

RAD, you can get a 2871R with a T3 flange, it was a while ago i was looking at it, but i know it could be done, not sure if it was a swapped rear housing, or it one of the skyline bolt on kits. there will be something, as the RB20 standard mani is T3.

if not just go up to 3071R and enjoy some more top end without all that much more lag.

akmehd, have you read the thread posted by kyle, (6boost) where he lists which turbo will do what power levels with however much lag? quite a good reference...

cheers, andy
    MY RIDE, 2 Door LHD KE70 sedan with 1G HKS stroker: http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/showthread.php?t=51760

Punctuation is the difference between 'I helped my Uncle Jack off his horse' and 'I helped my uncle jack off his horse.'

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic {Mr Crabs}'s Avatar

Sounds like a waste of money to me for 200~225KW

All you need is a new ECU and a good tune,your stock Gen3 injectors will be up to the job and the CT12's.

Cheers Case

i have a new ecu ltx10 and it made 191kw on 14psi, surely the standard turbos arent up 2 much higher boost all day every day. im also after something that comes on a bit quicker as the ct12s arent on fully till liek 4k rpm, and it drops of at like 6200rpm. i jsut want something that is generally quicker everywhere.

Forum Member Grease Monkey

This is a great setup man.. same as i am running on my car.

You will notice a bit more lag than with the CT12's though... but once you get up and going, any concerns you may have about the lag with be blown away...

I was making around 200rwkw on 16psi with that setup and 215rwkw on 18psi
    although the 18psi tune was setup a bit different with the cam gears to make a bit more mid range.

So yeah you setup will work fine and runs great!!
    I had a 3" exhaust straight through with just a single muffler at the back and it sounds great too
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkumP3h_zR8

Not sure what you are planning on doing for a manifold, i think it would definitely benefit from having a good one..
    If you're looking for something to get you going, I am looking at getting rid of my setup.
    I have a custom made Y pipe setup that just bolts up to the original 1G manifold.
    Also selling the turbo also and can supply lines aswell...
    PM me if you are interested

Cheers
    MaT

EDIT: Also note my turbo is the 0.86 rear housing.. I also have the 7M 440 injectors that i will be getting rid of too
    Last edited by TTCorona; 24-10-2009 at 11:55 AM. Reason: forgot stuff