Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: TA22 rear window rollers

I <3 Vito Conversion King RiceburnaGTV's Avatar

Default Re: TA22 rear window rollers

Hey all,

Ive had some PM's from people who have had problems getting the rollers back into the chanell.Im still a bit unsure as to why they wont go back in but my first thought is that they havent taken out the stopper at the top of the chanell,this is easy to forget as most of the time the old bushes have decintegrated and you can remove the old pins out of the chanell without any probs.Unfortunately I have all the celica back together so i cant really update with pics. But my advice is to first check the stopper is out and if the rollers still dont fit in the chanell clean all the old grease out aswell.AND dont forget to mark all the nuts that hold the chanell than it doesnt matter if you have to pop it off where its held on the body to get any of the mechanism back in..

Cheers
    Nath
    -Just Alloy Radiators-
    www.alloyradiators.com.au

Junior Member Domestic Engineer shelldrake's Avatar

the rollers phsically did not fit in my tracks(For the fronts at least) The outer diameter of the roller exceeds the width of the track. My question is are the front tracks smaller than the rears? If not, perhaps throughout the years they changed to a smaller track(As I checked an ra23 regulator with the same problem. I'll post a pic tonight to show you more clearly. Cheers!
    Assumption is the mother of all f**kups...

broom broom Automotive Encyclopaedia poida's Avatar

Cheers for this. my old man is a tool maker and made up some bushes for me, but this will beeven easier!

I just bought another celica and the rear windows held up by a rag and a small piece of wood dyi genius

The rollers will make it look much better.

broom broom Automotive Encyclopaedia poida's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TA22 GT
    Yeah, it is expensive buts its also pretty cool....

The only problem is that the original power window controls aren't the best anyway. I actually have to do a small job on mine now to get the passenger side working reliably.

I do also have central locking, this isn't too hard or expensive and beats manaully unlocking the car.

Cheers,
    Simon
    I also have central locking in the ta22 but it has one very big flaw. I dont have any key holes and the central locking is wired up so that i have "keyless entry". For some reason if the car is on/ignition on and i click the alarm on, it lock my doors. BUT when i click to turn the alarm off, it beeps but does not open the locks. Go the CODE brand alarm or cheapo central locking kit!!!

I realised this one hot day when i stepped out of the car and for some reason i accidentally clicked the alarm button locking me out of my car whilst it was still running. So while it was about to overheat I had a brain wave, instead of smashing my window i got under the fuel tank and pulled out the wire to the electric fuel pump. It soon died and i called the RAA for them to do their trusty "wedge my windows and poke the lock open" trick.

Don’t ever but the cheapo kits as the casing on mine have also split.

Cheers, Pete

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Just did the above conversion, and it works a treat!

Just make sure to get an understanding of how you are going to go about getting the windows back in.(thats the hard bit)

Junior Member 1st year Apprentice

I'll be trying this on my front windows of my RA28 soon, in prep for power windows

Junior Member Grease Monkey

How many rollers are there altogether?

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic jezza323's Avatar

i did this in my old TA22, worked great, couldnt even get the windows up n down anymore before i did it, the bushes came out in about 3 pieces each
    EP91 Toyota Starlet - AUStarletClub

I <3 Vito Conversion King RiceburnaGTV's Avatar

Guys im going to do a write up on the front windows soon but havent had to do them on the ST yet, so sorry bout that

I went to do them the other weekend on the Ta22 I sold but found that all they needed was a good de greasing of the chanels and the nylon guids that run along the chanels just needed to be removed and cleaned also.After that I just lightly greased and wd40'd the chanels and they were a million bucks.

Cheers

Nath
    -Just Alloy Radiators-
    www.alloyradiators.com.au

Nice to know,

I went blue in the face when i tried getting my 22's windows to slide right a couple of years back. Just had a look at my new 28 and discoverd the passenger side door's rear guide rails aren't even bolted in at the top, and thats the window that winds up straight.

My Wife says I have Too Much Toyota o_man_ra23's Avatar

dont anyone forget about the H shaped bushes that go up the rails in the front windows. Im going to try and get PolyMac to make up some new ones, if anyone is interested. you need 4 per door. Will fit any Gen 1 (or Gen1.5 aswell if your lambolica )

Cheers, Owen
    Cheers, Owen
    1977 RA28 with 1JZ-GTE (Was 18R-GTE)
    Lancer EVO Brakes into old Celica/Corolla/Corona
    Doing the things that aren't popular... cause being popular and being good are often distinctly different.

I would be interested, havent gutted my doors yet to see if i need them though. May just need a clean and lube as Riceburna stated.

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic jonra23's Avatar

O man ra23.

I would be interested if you go on with getting bushes made up, 5 doors and not enough to make one cars worth.

thanks
    jon

My Wife says I have Too Much Toyota o_man_ra23's Avatar

I have only a few decent ones myself, they tend to deteriorate as quick as the rest, but people tend to forget them, not look at them.

Cheers, Owen
    Cheers, Owen
    1977 RA28 with 1JZ-GTE (Was 18R-GTE)
    Lancer EVO Brakes into old Celica/Corolla/Corona
    Doing the things that aren't popular... cause being popular and being good are often distinctly different.

best fix evarrr