Thread: overdrive wiring on jzx100 vvti motor

The Bling Garage Mechanic Automotive Encyclopaedia Wildsupra's Avatar

Default overdrive wiring on jzx100 vvti motor

i cant seem to work out how to turn on and off overdrive on a jzx100 vvti 1jz motor.

None of the pinouts refer to overdrive at all, does anyone know if its ecu controlled only or whether or not it needs to be wired up somehow somewhere??

Car doesnt shift into overdrive currently so something is missing.

Cheers
    Matty

Default Re: overdrive wiring on jzx100 vvti motor

ok so it doesnt have a button in the jzx100 chasers lol

qestion now is does it just work it out off revs and speed signal or am i still missing something.

Cheers
    Matty

Junior Member Grease Monkey Mr.Phreak's Avatar

AFAIK, It's still a switch, you shift the gear lever to the right

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic jzk25's Avatar

I just had this issue with a JZX100 that I fitted an Aristo engine and ecu too with the original auto. The OD switch is on the shift lever where you flick across from D to 3 on the original shifter. It is a 3 wire switch however which shifts the earthing from one pin to another. The OD2 that is listed in any diagrams I found does not come from this switch. The input from this switch is another pin that is unlisted in both the diagrams I have. I still have it pulled apart at work, I will tell you which pin it is later today.

Another thing to note is that there must be a series one and two version of JZX100 as the diagrams I have show a fuel pump control module and the 96 model I have here does not use one, it uses the old school resistor unit driven from the AFM(presumably). I spent a long time pulling the car apart looking for the FPC.

Other things to note is the JZX100 auto is similiar to the Aristo but the valve body is completely different, doesn't even have the same amount of solenoids. We have swapped the valve body over and it all fits up but haven;t got it running yet to confirm operation but should all work fine now.

Not really relevant to you but just thought I would blurt it all out while I think of it.

cheers for that info guys, so it would seem if the shift lever is left in D then its automatically saying overdrive is on, and then flicking across to 3 would sorta mean your manual shifting into 3rd, or i guess also turning off overdrive.
    This motor box setup is all in a mx83 cres so there is no original shifter setup to use.
    Seems like its going to be a pain in the ass to use the button if it has to switch earths on and off :/

If i can get it to perform with overdrive alsways on that would be far better than the way it is now with no overdrive.

Cheers
    Matty

It works the same way as all the toyota boxes, it is just a better shifter design. When you go from D to 3 there is no actual shifter movement, it is a gated shifter, not a button shifter, so it is just moving across not up and down. All you need to do is connect the OD button on the MX83 shifter to the pin on the ecu. I went home early yesterday with a pirate eye patch after having some metal ground off my eyeball so couldn't get the info required. Will get it today.

oohhh that would hurt
    once i know which wire to connect it to i should be sweet then.

Cheers
    Matty

Just a few clarifications on this. The JZX100 shifter switches postive for OD off, earlier models switches negative. I had to use a relay to change the polarity. The OD2 listed in the diagrams switches the light on, the input is from the switch.

A few other things of note with the 2JZ into JZX100. We had trouble with the auto, after lots of removal of valve bodies and wiring checking it turned out that the SP1 on a JZX100 is a 12 ppr signal rather than 4ppr for the aristo so the box was just shifting 1,2,3,OD as soon as you moved as it was seeing 3 times the speed. We pinned out SP1 and used SP2(it was accurate) and all is good.

SP2 is derived from the ABS wheel speed sensors and outputs the correct ppr for the aristo ecu.

dam that would have got confusing as hell and been hard to figure out!!

So with the overdive i need to stop one of the wires from recieving positive to activate o/d?? im still a little confused as to how to activate o/d?
    any more info would be great .
    Cheers
    Matty

Forum Member

im hainb same issue i cant find what pin the od wire goes to did you figure this out?