Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Revised Reputation Permissions

Craig the baker Automotive Encyclopaedia puzzle man's Avatar

Default Re: Revised Reputation Permissions

Quote Originally Posted by trdee View Post
    lots of things change in three years...

HaHa, not on toymods
    Time is priceless yet it costs us nothing.
    You can do anything you want with it but you can't own it.
    You can spend it but you can't keep it.
    And once you've lost it, there is no getting it back, it's just gone."

Toymods Events Secretary Too Much Toyota trdee's Avatar

well in that thread the threads in discussion were a few thousand posts large. they are now multiple tens of thousands of posts large....
    1988 AW11 9A-GTE - Turbo Missile | 2004 Elise K20A - N/A Screamer | 1984 MA61 1JZ-GTE - 80s cruiser
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex_Kelway View Post
    .....and the within first laps everything that made the AW11 great hit Rex as if the 'Gods of driving fun' had all Jizzed on his face.....
    Quote Originally Posted by JustenGT8 View Post
    Mono blocs mate....as close to yours as a Ferrari is to a Fiesta

toyota-less Carport Converter skiddz's Avatar

just a thought regarding rep in the members ride section,

as far as i can tell there is no longer a button in that area to give rep, given my recent speight of v6 discoveries and progress i dont particularly want to clog up the tech/conversions with my shit so, perhaps a members ride rep button is needed (im not bitching about getting or not getting rep, my e-penis is large enough).

i do realise 'buddy repping' occurs hugely in members ride threads, but i think they are an awesome source of info
    2T out 4A in....

4A out 3VZ in. 3vzfe rebuild, RWD-ising, and conversion for ta22

busy adding lightness Too Much Toyota MR22ZZ's Avatar

I think the idea behind it is that if something is 'rep worthy' in someones members ride thread, then maybe it deserves a thread of it's own in the Tech section so people don't have to go trawling through 100s of obscure thread titles to find what they are looking for. Also, not everyone checks everyone elses members rides and many only search the Tech forums for tech info.
    Past Toyotas - Snow White (TA23), Blue Stivo (ZZE123)
    Current Toyotas - Hamster (AW11)
    Quote Originally Posted by X kyle X View Post
    the aw11 is rougher and more angular so it's sex Appel is more that of Sylvester stalone rather then brad pitt

I definitely ain't a Chief Engine Builder wagonist's Avatar

^^^^ 2nd that.

If you've found a lot of info, like you have, then it's worth sharing.

Junior Member Domestic Engineer

Quote Originally Posted by Lambolica View Post

Further to this the permissions that you need to qualify for to go from "registered user" to "Priviledged user" (with classifieds access) will also be altered now that the board has an idea of how fast rep can grow. This may be advised once a final decision is made on the parameters for that promotion.
    I dont agree with that, sorry.

I dont like the idea that if i am not good enough (in terms of rep) that i cant access the classifieds, how bout those users that dont use the forums too often, just for a bit of tech info, but want to buy something aswell? they wont be able to because their rep says they are not worthy of it!

thoughts?

wog
    Current: 94 jzs147 aristo, 92 ep82gt starlet
    Prev: ma61, gz20, jza70, uzz31, ncp10r, 92 sw20r
    And the winner of the big car race is......HOT ROD ZOIDBERG!

Junior Member Carport Converter RA35GT's Avatar

You can still post in an existing thread to buy something.

You just can't make new threads to sell something
    1977 RA35 Celica GT - I4 | 2007 GSV40R Aurion - V6
    Don't live life being scared of death, live in the fear of not truly living. RP 2012

30DET... The only way. Carport Converter Kyosho's Avatar

I think everyone is too caught up on rep, much like post counts.

With all the time being spent on it, I'd personally just disable it.

The mods/admin are always saying they don't have enough time, so why not get rid of it? After a bit of reading, newbs VERY quickly learn who to actually listen to, and whom not to.
    My Dead Supra...
    Quote Originally Posted by ReQuieM in the A70 Thread
    There is some serious talent in this thread for linking anything to fuckin gay sex. Its extraordinary.

I definitely ain't a Chief Engine Builder wagonist's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by woggin View Post
    I dont agree with that, sorry.

I dont like the idea that if i am not good enough (in terms of rep) that i cant access the classifieds, how bout those users that dont use the forums too often, just for a bit of tech info, but want to buy something aswell? they wont be able to because their rep says they are not worthy of it!

thoughts?

wog
    Have you read the announcement at the top of each classified scetion that I wrote?

I would strongly suggest that you go back and re-read it.
    Even though I'm not on the Toymods board any more, I'm pretty sure I could say that the rep rule for gaining access to the classifieds will stay, and in my own personal opinion, a couple of years on, I think that 30 re points is now too low a score to be gaining entry.

If after that you still feel you're getting hard done by, no one's going to cry if you bugger off somewhere else.
    If you think that's harse, then how about you try to moderate that section on your own for the year or so that I tried to.

Hung like planet Pluto... Backyard Mechanic Rcubed's Avatar

has anyone considered +rep=2 and -rep=-1?
    the problem i see at the moment with the rep system, and the priveleges associated with a rep level, is that it grows exponentially, and consequently, so does rep power as it is linked to level in multiple stages.

when the requirement for rep to post in classifieds is +30, and you get +repped for a post by someone who has, say +30000, your rep INSTANTLY breaks that barrier [mine grew by more than 100 for one +repping].

the exponential growth can be documented when about 18 months ago someone commented that River and Old Corollas had rep near +1000. Look now.

my proposal is that if rep is limited to +2 -1 to all but a few [and say, +5 -3 for them - mods/board members, etc] then it becomes linear and a truer representation of the value of contribution than today.

think of it this way - in order to post in classifieds you would need 15 good contributions, not just the stroking of 1 post-whore's ego

my 2c
    1. There's no point arguing with an idiot. They'll just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
    2. Don't argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell the difference

Toymods Net Nazi Too Much Toyota river's Avatar

Hi,

I agree that current rep hands out some much that a person can get into the classifieds and a sig in one +rep.

My biggest concern is two fold... firstly, some people are rep whores and they will post in the tech section all the time. They won't post rubbish, as that gets sorted very quickly, but they won't post the most inspiring technical essays, which will still get them some rep.

Secondly, I can't see people taking good tech info out of their rides and dedicated threads and put it in the tech section. Too many questions are asked in the owners threads and dedicated threads which will get answered in those threads. I beleive that rep will be applied to the GC (General Car) threads, which has the dedicated threads, but not to the members rides threads. So, for good tech you will still have to do a search as there is some absolute tech gems of info spread through those areas.

Like all things, we need to put in the changes and watch how it goes for a while, in case some adjustments and tuning needs to be done.

seeyuzz
    river
    The thinking man's clown and the drinking woman's sex symbol
    RA25GT - There is no substitute | 18R-G - Toyota's Dependable Masterpiece
    Toymods Car Club Treasurer, assistant Historic Plate Registrar & Forums Admin

busy adding lightness Too Much Toyota MR22ZZ's Avatar

just a quick one... what about unusual cases like this one that CrUZida posted?
    http://www.toymods.net/forums/showthread.php?t=51319

there is some quality information there that I felt deserved some rep.

I ended up finding one of his posts in the Tech section and gave rep there saying it was for the other thread, but what's to stop others doing similar thing to simply abuse the system?
    Past Toyotas - Snow White (TA23), Blue Stivo (ZZE123)
    Current Toyotas - Hamster (AW11)
    Quote Originally Posted by X kyle X View Post
    the aw11 is rougher and more angular so it's sex Appel is more that of Sylvester stalone rather then brad pitt

Junior Member Chief Engine Builder De@No's Avatar

I just say keep it nice and simple..

take rep out of non car discussion, cruises and events, classifides, and other pointless non car threads
    Z20- SOLD

Gaters gonna Gate Conversion King Stomps's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by river View Post
    Hi,

My biggest concern is two fold... firstly, some people are rep whores and they will post in the tech section all the time. They won't post rubbish, as that gets sorted very quickly, but they won't post the most inspiring technical essays, which will still get them some rep.

seeyuzz
    river
    hey.. does anyone honestly give two shits about getting rep for posting something technical...

you would hope that if someone wants to share some goot tech info they found/discovered etc.. they would do so to help others, not get almighty rep.. which is worth SFA anyway..

honestly.. who really give a toss about rep.. as long as you can post in classifieds when necessary... does anyone actually use rep to judge a persons technical knowledge?

seriously.. if someone posts shit info- as you said, it becomes quite obvious very quickly.. i dont care if they have 20000+ rep points.. im not gonna take it as gospel..

same as if someone with 10 rep, or -50 rep posts some good technical stuff.. am i gonna ignore it because they have no rep??

i seriously doubt people are that stupid....

Members rides threads like eg SamQ's sprinter build up or Medwin's sprinter build up are awesome...with lots of tech info.. but if they get no rep for it.. so be it.. i doubt that they posted it to get rep.... if rep was actually worth something maybe it would be a different story.. but as it stands.. having 20000rep or 30 rep.. amounts to the same thing.. SFA..

in my opinion anyway..

Stomps

Toymods Net Nazi Too Much Toyota river's Avatar

Hi,

Well I see it differently, 'cos personally, I don't give toss about the classifieds. If people want to sell stuff they can get onto eBay, trading Post, and a host of other selling forums and sell it there. If I'm looking for something and it is out there, I'll find it.

These forums are used by half the people as a free trading post, and I'd prefer to make people pay cash to use the classifieds. They contribute some pissy bit of info, or get mate-repped, and then all they do is use the forums for selling and buying. I don't think a seller/buyer who does nothing but sell/buy contributes anything to these forums, so my preference is get some money out of them if that's what they want to do.

However, you just can't get top notch technical information and that is what this site is all about.

Rep has been abused to the point of uselessness and we are trying to go in and clean it up, and hopefully make it useful again. Whether you think that's a worthy cause or not, and whether you pay any regard to rep or not, is your concern.

seeyuzz
    river
    The thinking man's clown and the drinking woman's sex symbol
    RA25GT - There is no substitute | 18R-G - Toyota's Dependable Masterpiece
    Toymods Car Club Treasurer, assistant Historic Plate Registrar & Forums Admin