Thread: big port 4age comparisom

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Default big port 4age comparisom

What I would like to know is what actully is the differance between a bigport 4age and a big port 4agze. The reason i ask this is I have a ze in my aw11 that I want to take the head off and build it up with cams, o/s valves valve springs, and some port work. I also have a big port 4age out of an ae82 in my shed. So what i wanted to know was can i build up the 4age head and then just swap that over onto the 4agze.

thanx for your help.
    can't sleep...clown will eat me

Toymods Club Member #274 Backyard Mechanic Rallystanza's Avatar

Default Re: big port 4age comparisom

Quote Originally Posted by General_Bupkiss
    What I would like to know is what actully is the differance between a bigport 4age and a big port 4agze.
    thanx for your help.
    You state here that you want to know the differences in the bigport 4age and the bigport 4agze. You then talk about the heads...I will help you answer with reference to the heads only as thats what it seems you want.

The heads will be interchangable... There may be a couple of anciliaries that differ from head to head, but internally and connection to block and manifolds, they will be the same.

yes I do only want to know about the internal differances of the heads. basiclly what i want to know is if I put say 272 degree cams, o/s valves, stiffer valve springs, and ported the head. would i get the same results from both heads. or is there something in the ze head that would yeild more power.

Toymods Club Member #274 Backyard Mechanic Rallystanza's Avatar

It will be the same for either BIGPORT heads.

Chookhouse Chooning Automotive Encyclopaedia Hen's Avatar

I agree with the big J. From what I have read and heard, the heads are identical between bigport GE and bigport GZE (bar of course the cam covers).

And it may pay to investigate your cam choice a little, there have been a fair few discussions about this recently and it seems than 272deg cams may be a little too much duration for a ZE.

Hen

SC14'd Member Domestic Engineer nick.parker's Avatar

My 2c...
    I am still looking into what head is best for my app (smallport 16v or bigport 16v).

With regards to the cam, I used some Wade 267 cams and IMHO it is too much for the ZE. Was very nice to drive but where did the low end go??? I tried numerous timing configurations.

I have gone back to a custom combo of cams (smaller duration) that yeilds much better idle, low vacuum drivability, low rpm torque and in fact the mid range torque is slightly better (SOTP) I will have a new dyno to back this up soon. Top end is still ok too. As people have said, for a non track car - when are you there (6000+rpm) anyway?

Most people who have tried said 272s on ZE go well (better than stock) from 5K upwards, below that substancial torque is lost across the range, and the general consesnus from my reading is that the gain is not worth the sacrifice. I would stick to something like 256 if you want to try a bigger cam.

Cheers, Nick.
    == 4AGZE SC14 Supercharged ==
    Now flogg'n the SC14 @ 18psi....

well thanx for all the replies, I really hadn't researched what cams I was going to use I just wanted to know if I would recive the same power out put from the two types of heads providing the same tuning went into both. All I want is a set of cams that increase power in the 3- 7 thou rpm area. But depending on what you call low end torque you could always down gear. but as you have said I would like a car that would idle. i have no problem with the lumpy effect, but I don't want to have my idle at 1500rpm just to stop it from stalling.