Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: fuel coolers do they work???

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Default fuel coolers do they work???

Well i've been looking on the net and have seen a few rally cars and high performance cars with sort of like a small oil cooler in the fuel line. What i want to know is has any one out there got one or know some one with one in there car an or where to get them from. Finally how much differance the would and or can make. It makes sence that by cooling the fuel down it condenses more their for when it ignights their is a bigger bang. But does any 1 have evidance
    Last edited by sirbabblealot; 04-02-2006 at 11:28 PM.

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic Supra-Jim's Avatar

Default Re: fuel coolers do the work???

I believe the indy cars used to cool the fuel before filling the cars, not sure if they still do it. But I think it was to get a bee's dick of a % more fuel into the car.

Don't know how it affects performance though.

Junior Member 1st year Apprentice devolutio's Avatar

extending the question: Do high pressure fuel pumps get hot, and do they transfer much heat into the fuel passing through them?

I imagine when you are making lots of power, and need lots of fuel, you need a powerful fuel pump, which makes lots of heat, which heats the fuel up noticably, which could then use some cooling.

What sort of car with what sort of engine do you have making what sort of power? I doubt a street car would benefit much from having one.

I have a ra28 celica with a 3s-gte engine puts out about 200rwkw and or 260 Hp at the rear wheels ex targa car. Getting it back into shape to race again tarmac rally, hill climbs and the flog around queensland raceway every few months

iconoclast Backyard Mechanic Youngy's Avatar

Having cooler fuel is certainly not got to 'reduce' your engine performance, so it can't hurt.

I have seen some set-ups that were literally a small hard shelled wine cooler with a few coils of the fuel line going through it. After all, cool fuel is more dense etc etc

Is a Chief Engine Builder wilbo666's Avatar

I would think that the big long length of metal HP metal fuel line underneath the car (in great airflow) would do a decent job of cooling the fuel should it be heated by the pump.

Cheers
    Wilbo

Junior Member Grease Monkey

Race and rally cars is one thing, road cars is another. I don't know about you guys but I just wouldn't be comfortable with a fuel cooler in front of the car in case you have a smash. Can you imagine how much fuel would spray out before the fuel cut-off worked? A lot I'd say.

It all comes down to where it is mounted i wonder if their is any legal requirment and or if they are not aloud or thought about. Me and a mate from work are looking at getting one testing it in different places (mounted in engine bay back of the car) and also on the dyno. I'll keep every 1 posted when we get to it and put the findings up on the forum.

Junior Member Grease Monkey

Default Re: fuel coolers do they work???

Hey all

Fast fours or hots fours tested this sometime ago on a worked xr6 turbo. They recorded something like a 3degee increase in the heat. That was from before the pump and after the pump i think. so by the time it gets downs to the injectors that would of dropped but gone back up because of under bonnet temps. So is there really any point to cooling the fuel down unless you can get it to drop like 15degrees????

Cheers
    Craig
    N/A 3SGE KE70 on its way

actually the reason (one of) that indy use fuel coolers is because they have such high fuel pressure, because of high revs etc, is because the higher the pressure of fuel the hotter it gets. and you dont want hot fuel.

although I did argue the hot fuel point with my mechanics teachers at TAFE but hey they only know what text books tell them. HAHAH

"Hot fuel is better cause it attomises better" they would say.. then I friendly reminded them of weber carbies

although I did argue the hot fuel point with my mechanics teachers at TAFE but hey they only know what text books tell them. HAHAH

"Hot fuel is better cause it attomises better" they would say.. then I friendly reminded them of weber carbies.

Hopefully soon a 5S-GTE Chief Engine Builder MWP's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by devolutio
    extending the question: Do high pressure fuel pumps get hot, and do they transfer much heat into the fuel passing through them?
    They do.
    High pressure pumps use the fuel as a coolant as it passes through.
    Hence why running a high-pressure pump with no fuel is bad... they overheat and burn out.

Also, colder fuel isnt useful because its more dense (you can just tune for this), its useful because it cools the inlet air, making it more dense (similar effect to water injection).

as ^^^^ he said...

Sport Compact Racing Fuels
    Advancing the Science of Motorsports™
    Tech Bulletin prepared by Steve Burns, Director-Research & Development

4. COOLING EFFECT: The cooling effect on fuel is related to the heat of vaporization. The higher the heat of vaporization, the better its effect on cooling the intake mixture. This is of some benefit in a four-stroke engine, but can be a big gain in two-stroke engines.
    ../delete/ban
    tech moderator
    E46 M3 Nürburgring Nordschleife - 8.38

what? Automotive Encyclopaedia EVOSTi's Avatar

i had a problem with the temp of my fuel, i was running a small surge tank (approx 1 litre) and the return line from the engine went back to the surge tank. so on a hot day the fuel would go through the fuel pump, to the hot engine and back to the surge tank to get pumped again. the fuel pump would get noisy and die. i was thinking about a fuel cooler or a fan for the pump but what i ended up doing was returning the fuel to the main tank first and getting a higher flowing lift pump that outflows the high pressure pump and the problem was solved.
    so i dont know about the performance of the engine but the heat of the fuel was affecting the operation of the fuel pump.