Thread: adjusting handbrake shoes on a jzz30 (+other internal drum handbrake cars)

Junior Member Domestic Engineer

Default adjusting handbrake shoes on a jzz30 (+other internal drum handbrake cars)

Ok i was haviing trouble getting the rear discs off the jzz30 last night and had to adjust the handbrake shoes and wind them in.
    Now i have to put it all back together again so i was wondering if anyone has a method on readjusting the shoes to the desired position again.

I was thinking to just put disc on and wind the shoes all the way out until they grab.
    Then back them off a few turns and hopefully that would be about right but it would be just trial and error.
    Does anyone have a proper method?
    cheers
    Damien

Toymods V8 Member Too Much Toyota CrUZida's Avatar

Default Re: adjusting handbrake shoes on a jzz30 (+other internal drum handbrake cars)

Sounds about right.

Look at the MA70 online TSRM, that will give you the proper way to do it.
    Peewee
    1985 MZ12 Soarer - 1UZ Powered
    2013 86 GTS

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic manny's Avatar

Default Re: adjusting handbrake shoes on a jzz30 (+other internal drum handbrake cars)

Z30 Soarer and JZA80 Supra rear brakes are the same
    The procedure is covered here in the braking section of the Supra workshop manual and specifically on this page

GSE20 IS250 - daily
    UZZ30 Soarer - 1UZ-FE/R154/Adaptronic - trackday roughie
    UZZ32 Soarer - Active Hydropneumatic Suspension (A-SUS) & Active Four Wheel Steering (A-4WS) - cruiser

Junior Member Domestic Engineer

cheers for this...i am still having a bit of trouble but i did the procedure slightly different to that above so i will give that a shot this weekend.

AVGAS DRINKING Carport Converter 30psi 4agte's Avatar

You are on the money with the way you are doing it BUT make sure you back the handbrake adjustment!!!!! (usually small bolt on back of hand brake lever ) this can make a major difference as the shoes wont sit right if it is done with the handbrake cable already adjusted

I definitely ain't a Chief Engine Builder wagonist's Avatar

old thread dig up...

I'm currently sorting this out for the rear end of the Dina. I had to replace the springs, etc that retain the drum shoes so now it's all out of alignment.

I tried to "feel" through the access hole with a flat bladed screwdriver, but i'm having no luck in getting the toggle to move as I wish.
    ideas?

Hi,

First thing to check is that the adjuster is actually free to rotate. They can get a fair amount of built up brake dust on the thread.

When I adjust the handbrake I apply some WD or similar to the threaded section and just run the adjuster in and out to free it up. Of course I do this with the adjuster out of the handbrake assembly. Then pop it back into the assembly, reinstall brake disc and adjust.

Sometimes they are just a pain as the toothed wheel is hard to reach properly.

Pete

I definitely ain't a Chief Engine Builder wagonist's Avatar

One thing I didn't realise is that one side is a left hand thread, and other isn't.

This means that when you put your screwdriver through the hole, you should push on the top of the wheel & push away from you to tighten the drums.

I found that one of the adjusters had been tightened all the way closed (very tightly), so I had to remove the rotor to free it up.

Also, if you ever disable the mechanism like I had to, there is a spring at the bottom to hold the 2 drum shoes together. It is supposed to go on the back of the shoes, not the front, otherwise it gets in the way of trying to back the shoes off.
    Buggered if I know how you're supposed to get the spring in there though...