Thread: celica st185 hubs -> st165

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Default celica st185 hubs -> st165

Ok so done a lot of serching, but couldnt fine anything on st185 hubs being swapable to a st165...

Found lots on brakes which sounds bolt on easy.

Suspention that looks very stright forward for the front, and simply bolt on for the back.

But nothing on hubs ????? (as I need to do at least one bearing set im thinking why not just change the hubs too, and then suspension and brake change would get even easyer. At this point looking at a good doner car and swapping as much as possible )
    So if anyone knows about the hubs that would be great
    And any info on other interchangable parts would be great too

Thanks

A real nowhere man Backyard Mechanic 88FOUR's Avatar

Default Re: celica st185 hubs -> st165

If you need new front hubs, get them off an st162. the st185 ones are slightly diferrent and need to be modified a bit to put them on. I believe the rears are the same on the st165 as the st185.
    My Girl and my Four, nothing matters more,
    One of them is classy and the other one is raw.

Thanks 88four
    Someone on differant forum commented that the st185 doesnt have camber adjustment on the hubs/knuckle assembly were as the st165 does ???? anyone conferm this?

Also would the 165 top hat needed to be use on the 185 strut to mount in the car ??
    or is the 185 fine too ?

Thanks

A real nowhere man Backyard Mechanic 88FOUR's Avatar

Not %100 sure, but the rears from the st185 bolt directly into the st165, the fronts dont, but you can fix this by using the st185 hubs at the front, if changing the suspension to st185 strutts.... its your best way to go cause finding replacements for a st165 front strutt is a not easy, or major mod as they dont make them anymore.... does that help?.... ask around, I may be wrong.

and yes st165 has the adjustment, never seen the st185 ones to know about them for myself though

cut a longish rant short, ..yes the st185 top pillow ball mount, or what ever they call it bolts up to the chassis on both front and back
    Last edited by 88FOUR; 20-06-2009 at 07:48 PM.
    My Girl and my Four, nothing matters more,
    One of them is classy and the other one is raw.

Experience shows I'm no Chief Engine Builder Roundy's Avatar

185 doesn't have stock camber adjustment
    "If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?"
    My ST185 with 278awkw (2.2L is running...)
    1:08.08s @ Wakefield 1:37.29s @ Winton
    27.90s @ Esses Hillclimb

Junior Member Carport Converter Dale's Avatar

Series 1 ST165 had stock camber adjustment on the front hubs, Series 2 ST165 did not.

Same deal with ST162s, Series 1 have camber adjustment in the front hubs, Series 2 don't.
    I am the sun

GT4 Freak, and Conversion King Squid's Avatar

I have 185 hubs modified to suit 205 brakes on my 165... This allows you to use 185 after market suspension.

Undo the three nuts holding on the lower ball joint, and the two bolts holding the struts on, and it is pretty much a straight swap...

Admittedly never been driven with this combo as engine needs more work.
    ST185 GrpA #116
    ST165 GT4 Project Car - Soon with v6 goodness.

The glass is neither half empty nor half full, rather the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Hey squid, what sort of mods needed to fit the 205 brakes to 185 hubs?

GT4 Freak, and Conversion King Squid's Avatar

I bought them from neal bates automotive - they are an ex rally set up.

From memory -
    need a couple of mm shimmed of the back of the caliper mount to align properly.
    need to thread the bolt holes where the caliper mounts - 165's and 185's have the thread on the calipers, and 205 the thread is on the hub... when changing you have two unthreaded holes.
    need a 5mm spacer under the disc
    ST185 GrpA #116
    ST165 GT4 Project Car - Soon with v6 goodness.

The glass is neither half empty nor half full, rather the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

So I know this is a bit of thread digging but since this keeps coming up in google search i thought i'd update the details here.....
    The ST185 hub is NOT a straight swap. The two studs on the ball joint do not line up with the ST165 arm. The 165 ball joint studs are closer together. You can swap the whole arm but you need to change the rear bushing for the st165 which then means you cant use the extra bracket on the st185 arm. So kind of pointless.
    Only thing I havent confirmed is size of the ball joint entering the hub on either. Read there is a few mm diff.

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia

Interesting. Keep us updated with pics, as i was also going to look at this. I have the 185 hubs, but havent got round to pulling the st165 fronts off to compare.

But seeing as you cant exactly buy a large variety of st185 coilovers anymore and theres a couple options for st165, im not sure if its worth the hassle anymore.

There is still a massive variety of coilovers for the ST185. Just pulled Tiens out to replace with BC Racing.
    I've got it all together now. You will need the ST185 control arms as the ball joints are different. For the bushes in the A arm, the front is ST185(havent checked OD of ST165 but appear different sizes) and the rear bush is ST165. I'll post up some pics.
    If you're only wanting to change it for coilovers then best option is the common mod to just drill the holes out to fit ST185 bolts. Super simple, but make sure the holes are centre or you're screwed.
    The only reason I am changing the hubs is because there is a couple mm more clearance on the ST185 hub when fitting ST205 brakes and there is no way I am doing 'clearance grinding' on the ball joint
    EDIT:I'll get the pics up with everything together. The hubs are just off getting new bearings while they're out.