Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aristo 2J into NA JZA80*pics x alot*

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic jzk25's Avatar

Default Aristo 2J into NA JZA80*pics x alot*

Doing this for a local guy. The car has had a heap of coin spent on paint, interior, stereo etc so bypasses the obligatory "sell it and buy an RZ" drivel.

Did a bit of research and got lots of "omg you can't fit an Aristo engine, it is too hard". It's not too hard and is a lot cheaper than using a Supra engine.

Engine on stand getting sump changed to mid sump, belt and seal change, wiring removed for rewire and manifold and GT35R 1.06 fitted. 2nd pic is manifold flange adapted from T4 to T3.

Covers and manifold painted in the meantime.

Old GE donk out and wiring loom stripped off.

GTE and GE looms getting chopped and spliced.

Continued..........

Default Re: Aristo 2J into NA JZA80*pics x alot*

Engine in..

Intercooler mounted...

Yes, that's right, it has got lambo doors....

It's also getting the obligatory WRX thermos(actually a legacy/wrx combo to try and span the width of the rad).

Kicked it in the guts this afternoon, fired up first kick. :w:

Will update once intercooler and exhaust work is done. maybe tomorrow night.

Nice conversion, I did the same but had an SZR and aristo vvti 2jzgte, lucky for me I sourced a supra vvti loom Plus a few things on the vvti aristo engine are the same as the supra, compared to the early non-vvti aristo donk which has a few more things different.

Sump- Been there done that! I assume your using the old NA sump and drilling a hole and putting studs for the oil return line from the turbo. Also GT35r flavour of the month for the 2jz! Looks really good

98SZR, I had a good look over your thread on SF when researching this job, twas an epic. kudos to you on doing it yourself.

I used a JZA70 sump I had kicking around but would have just drilled the NA sump if I had too, not really a big deal in the scheme of things.

Quote Originally Posted by jzk25
    98SZR, I had a good look over your thread on SF when researching this job, twas an epic. kudos to you on doing it yourself.

I used a JZA70 sump I had kicking around but would have just drilled the NA sump if I had too, not really a big deal in the scheme of things.
    Glad the thread came in handy, yes it was an epic alright!
    Using the JZA70 sump is a great idea, no not that hard compared to doing the loom looking at your pics lol

The big difference in the wiring between Aristo and Supra is just the layout. The Pinouts and engine wiring are the same, it is the body plug and 3rd ecu plug that is the main difference. The supra has plugs in the engien bay from the fuse box for power supplies, starter and others as well as the two in car plugs where the Aristo loom has a single big plug in the car and no engine bay plugs. The Supra loom also has the 3rd ecu plug as part of the main engine loom. In the Aristo that plug is part of the main car harness.
    I stripped the two harnesses and spliced them to get around this. The Aristo layout makes it quite easy to fit the 2J to a foreign vehicle as everything is terminated in one spot.

Did a heap of fiddly stuff on it today. Power steering reservoir fitted(off an R33, NA engine has it mounted on the engine). Changed the top water outlet for modified version (No. 2), has water outlet to turbo, temp sender for guage and fan switch for thermos on top in a welded on block. Can be seen in this pic(just).

Spent ages trying to get some love from the tacho with no result. Got the RSM to read with a tacho booster but not the main tacho. I've either got the wrong tach wire to the dash or the tach needs replacing with a TT unit. This will keep me awake tonight.
    Any info on why the TT tacho is needed rather than a boosted NA version would be great.

We mounted the thermos and filled it with water for a decent run but only after fitting a master oil pressure guage to make sure we had pressure as the std switch has been replaced with an Autometer super flash defi style guage that didn't want to work. Yank quality. 70 psi cold, 40 hot and we are away.

Had a bit of a fiddle with the intercooler pipe design over a beer this afternoon. I didn't want to cut any body holes but I think it will be the best way to do it, at least on the passenger side. Have to consult with the owner.

looks awesome!

Toymods Pimp Chief Engine Builder Norbie's Avatar

Looks like a nice neat conversion, good to see there are pros out there who know what they're doing with JZ engines!
    Quote Originally Posted by jzk25
    Any info on why the TT tacho is needed rather than a boosted NA version would be great.
    NA tacho expects to see voltage spikes from an ignition coil, TT tacho expects to see the square-wave output from the ECU. I had the same issue with my MA61, I solved it with a tacho booster from Grant, but in your case it may be easier to source a TT tacho - or maybe one of those 10k RPM TRD tachos (I suspect your client would love that sort of thing).

Cheers Norbie. I love JZ's, the more the better.

I have fitted a tacho booster the same as I used on a couple of other JZ conversions but no love unfortunately. I mentioned the TRD tacho etc to the owner and not surprisingly he was keen, on that, and the matching speedo.

The autosalon type scene is not my thing but you have to give these guys credit for the time, money and effort they put into their cars. This car looks quite good in that it isn't overdone body wise compared to most kitted Supras.

Junior Member Grease Monkey

I See it is a manual, is it a W58 5-speed? 6 speed SZ-R, any plans for a conversion if its a 5 speed?

Yeah it is just a W58. The owner is well aware that it is not up to the job. If/when it breaks he will be looking at an R154 or 6 speed depending on budget. It's got a fairly mild clutch and instructions not to be abusive so should last a while.

Looking good mate, replied to your PM regarding tacho, Norbie pretty much answered it anyway

Finally got some sh!t done on it today after spending most of yesterday on the damn phone.

Dump, front pipe and wastegate piping all done. Tigged most of it but had to mig the flanges and wastegate reentry because the mild steel flanges don't tig well and the WG entry is too time consuming to Tig(rough, I know. The shame).

Tacked all the cooler piping up too.

Is a Chief Engine Builder wilbo666's Avatar

That looks like a sweet job!

Btw can I ask where you get the pipe for the IC pipes / zaust from?! I'm in the market for materials!...

Cheers
    Wilbo