Thread: Grease on flywheel / rear clutch surface..wtf!

Is a Chief Engine Builder wilbo666's Avatar

Default Grease on flywheel / rear clutch surface..wtf!

Info, 1JZ-GTE, OS Giken twin plate clutch & flywheel, Dellow (*grrr*) bellhousing & clutch fork.

OK, the gearbox / clutch was removed when changing / selecting gears became hard. I suspected that one of the clutch plates was not releasing 100% (I suspected rusted/dirty input shaft / splines). Previously if you put the clutch in when in 3rd gear and came to a stop there was a clunk as finally enough force was generated to 'break' the sticking clutch free.

Removing the clutch revealed grease; that had since turned into a gummy sticky substance that was the cause of my gear selection problems. The grease was on the fylwheel friction surface and the rearward clutch friction surface. What is interesting is that there was no grease on ANY of the other surfaces, only the rear surface of last clutch disk and the flywheel. Being a twin plate clutch there are a few surfaces...

My question is, how on earth did that grease get there? The clutch was surgically clean (OK an exaggeration, but it was VERY, very clean) on assembly ~ 6000km ago, there was no grease used on the spigot bearing, or the gearbox / clutch splines.

The rear main engine seal has not leaked at all, the front gearbox seal was also OK.

The only thing that I can think of is that the sealed spigot bearing leaked its grease out (WTF)...the spigot bearing has been removed and replaced, it did have a point of bind in it and looking at the disassembled bearing the inner running surface does have some imperfections... ?

Cheers
    Wilbo

I even do the dishes as Domestic Engineer Rodger's Avatar

Default Re: Grease on flywheel / rear clutch surface..wtf!

Wilbo,

I have just recently removed two gearboxes from behind both of my 2Ts and the same thing.

The rear main oil seal and the input shaft seal are designed to stop anything getting in more than out. The way the lip makes contact. BTW same for most oils seals on a car.

Under most circumstances some quanties of oil/fluids come out and over enough time build up to become noticable.

Had me puzzeled all the time but from what I am now thinking. The substance (grease as you call it and what it looks like on mine) could well be oil and clutch friction material. It could also contain water and dust which get in through all those spaces and rubber gromets.

The source friction material is of which is of course the clutch plate and it gets on the flywheel and spins onto the inside of the bell housing.

I think this cannot be avoided and gets messier the more you run the engine and gearbox and I cannot think of any way to stop this from occuring.

My thoughts. Maybe someone can confirm or refute them and help both of us understand where this "mess" comes from.

Regards

Rodger

Official Off Topic KING! Conversion King stradlater's Avatar

I have noticed the same thing..

It most definately isn't grease.

It's oil + clutch mixture.

First time round for me was a bad rear main seal.

I suspect that it's doing it again, but I think it may infact be the the input shaft leaking in this case.

You just gotta seal the fuckers. Oil comes from any freaking spots (even leaks from the back of the head and down inbetween the sandwich plate and bellhousing) you just gotta track it and seal it.
    Facebook | LinkedIn

1976 RA23 Celica - 1UZFTE ???rwkw - Earlier: 11.6 @ 116.9mph But Now: ??
    2014 Aston Martin V12 Vantage S Coupe - 421kW 0-100 3.1.....
    2005 Mercedes Benz SLK 350 - 200kW...

Is a Chief Engine Builder wilbo666's Avatar

I think you will find that the seals are more to stop oil getting out than in! I was under the impression that the V was designed such that pressure from the inside to the outside increases the sealing face force leading to reduced leakage as well.

Regardless of that, there has been no leakage from the rear main seal (which would be stopped from getting on to the flywheel friction face by the rear of the flywheel!) or the from the gearbox seal (which one would imagine would cause oil to be deposited on the clutch face closest to the seal; the opposite of what has occurred in this case!).

Cheers
    Wilbo