Thread: 4af and 4afe engine weight?? (for conversion on another vehicle)

Dude with a spanner Grease Monkey bajachris88's Avatar

Default 4af and 4afe engine weight?? (for conversion on another vehicle)

Hi.

How much does a 4af and a 4afe engine weight (without gearbox).

I have an offroad vw baja and want to do away with the old 65 hp donk for something just as light weight, but more reliable, slightly more power/torque output and something with a rediculous amount of cheap spares and readily available new bits. Because i will be thrashing in the dirt and will definitely end up breaking something, and i can't just rock up to the local auto parts store for a replacement bit for the dub motor .

4age and 4agze's are definitely inviting but seem exy. wadda ya rekon? common enough though? I would imagine they would weigh more.
    st185 GT4 309 hp 12.4s 1/4 mile 16psi

Toymods Board Member Chief Engine Builder Hiro's Avatar

Default Re: 4af and 4afe engine weight?? (for conversion on another vehicle)

A 4AGE in good condition isn't that expensive, and the gain you'd get over a 4AF/FE in a light-weight vehicle would be noticeable, plus spares are cheap and common. Its the GZEs and 20vs where the engines and parts start getting more expensive.
    AE102 - Charlene the Old Faithful, Reborn
    JZZ30 - Lexi the Spacecruiser, 1JZGTE>>3SGE. 200rwkw, hunting Skylines and n00bs in SS Commodores
    ST162 - Charlie the non-ghey Celica, 3SGE>>4AGE. GOOOOOOOONE
    AE82 - Rosie the Bitsa from Hell, 70.8kw atw. Has been converted into garage space and money at last
    KE55 - Billie the Beast, sadly missed