Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: power steering --> huh?!

Junior Member Grease Monkey

Default power steering --> huh?!

Hey guys...

I got a St162 w/3SGE.. basically i'm having some power steering issues which became painfully evident at a motorkhana today.

my steering is fine, nice and light when driving normally, or perhaps a little bit spiritedly, however when one turns the wheel rapidly, the lightness buggers off and the steering becomes mighty heavy (the fluid also overwhelms the seal on the resovoir and leaks down underneath it)... like i said, its tough doing a slalom when ur wheels getting harder and harder to turn the more you turn it, on that not, its tough trying to steer and pull handbrake when the steerings too heavy to palm

any help would be schweeet!, thanks fellas (and any girls which i doubt would be here)

Toymods Pimp Chief Engine Builder Norbie's Avatar

Default Re: power steering --> huh?!

Sounds like you're asking the P/S system to flow more than it's designed to. Perhaps try replacing the pump with a larger one, and/or increase the size of the restrictor in the main pressure line?

AVGAS DRINKING Carport Converter 30psi 4agte's Avatar

All i can think of is that the fluid is surging around and not being used by the pump.
    Is there any baffle / Gauze in the res ? If not mabe try that. You can get some gauze from a vn commy pump

Unless the reservoir is practically empty, surge will never be a problem.

Now I think about it the gauze filter could be partially clogged, so it would be worthwhile checking that out.

Is the fliud level ok?

Norbie: does the st 162 have gauze? im not too familiar with that setup.

Junior Member Too Much Toyota oldcorollas's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Norbie
    Unless the reservoir is practically empty, surge will never be a problem.
    is the reservoir is practically empty???
    "I'm a Teaspoon, not a mechanic"
    "There is hardly anything in the world that a man can not make a little worse and sell a little cheaper" - John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

AU$TRALIA... come and stay and PAY and PAY!!! The moral high horse of the world!

nah, the reservoir is full... the main thing thats sortof making me think theres something wrong with the system as opposed to it just being overworked is i recently did an engine replacement, including all the power steering lines and stuff, and the old system never had a problem with it, even though it leaked like a siv

as for this "gauze" you speak of, where might i find it? inside the resovoir im guessing, but it doesnt appear that i can open it to see inside...

that also brings me to wonder, could there be air in the system causing it to happen? if so does anyone know the process for bleeding it?

Bleeding pwr steering is done by turning steering wheel from lock to lock while stationay ( car running) and then checking fluid level.

inside the resovoir im guessing, but it doesnt appear that i can open it to see inside...????????

If you cant open resovoir how did you fill up system???????

the cap comes off, leaving a small groove about as wide as 2 50c coins (when looking at the sides)

as for the bleeding, thats what i thought, i turned the wheels from lock to lock lots of times (like 10 or more)

Junior Member Too Much Toyota

does the car have progressive power steering? maybe that's not setup correctly or has failed?

you could also have an air-leak/hole in the pipe coming from the reservoir - system might be sucking air when significant demands are made on the system.

I think if you put your finger in the res there will be a strainer that you can pull out.
    You may need to twist it to unlock it

The end of that 50c gap is the top of the strainer if im correct . Check if its clagged with crap.

If there's any air in the system you'll know all about it, it will make that horrible groaning noise when you load up the steering, just like 90% of VL Commodores.

yeah, the pump doesnt cavitate so i guess theres no air... i'll see if i cant find the guaze this arvo, thanks guys..

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic

Pump could be shagged - try taking it apart? Only takes about an hour or so.

could also be related to the vacuum hoses that operate the pump relief - double check all of those!
    If there's one thing I know, it's never to mess with mother nature, mother in-laws and mother freaking Ukrainians

Junior Member Grease Monkey off-road's Avatar

To get pump to flow enough for race application we drill out restrictor holes in high pressure outlet on pump.Easy to do on 20v silver top pump but never tried it on 3sge pump.If you can 'beat ' pump you need more flow. By this I mean if you are turning left and have power assist then turn wheel hard right and have no power assist you are beating pump.