Thread: jzx81 1ggte to 1jz swap

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Default jzx81 1ggte to 1jz swap

ok so i have a 1989 gx81 cresta jzx81 ive got a 1ggte with a w58 gearbox in there now with a greddy or trust ecu .. im looking to put a 1jz in there within the next few weeks what i was wondering was what can i keep from the old engine like the greddy ecu or the whole loom even i really have no idea about the loom etc but the engine swap is easy from what ive been told and will the w58 5speed manual bolt straight up to the 1jz.
    and if anyone knows of someone with a 1jz for sale let us know
    cheers brodie

Toymods Club Member Conversion King big_zop's Avatar

Default Re: jzx81 1ggte to 1jz swap

There are a few threads on the JZX81 conversion that will give you some more detailed information, but the basics will be that you cant use anything from the 1G in the conversion - that is the loom & ecu and bellhousing & clutch, and you will need to swap the engine crossmember to suit.

There are 2 main ways to do the wiring:
    1 - keep all your GX81 stuff (dash loom, cluster) and only swap in the 1JZ and engine loom and then adapt the engine loom to the GX81 stuff
    2 - swap everything from the dash forwards to be JZX81 and repin the looms to the rear of the car

As for the manual conversion, you can use a W58 on a 1JZ but you will need to change the bellhousing and clutch & flywheel.