Thread: Undoing crank bolt on auto 4AFE/4AFC - and retorque

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Default Undoing crank bolt on auto 4AFE/4AFC - and retorque

Just wondering the best way - I don't have a rattle gun.

Is it easy enough to take out the starter motor and lock it there? Though it appears to be behind exhaust manifold..

How about undoing a cover plate on the auto to access the ring gear? is that possible

I know the rest breaker bar on chassis rail and hit key to undo but doesnt help on tightening..

Anybody done this..

Thanks

Junior Member Domestic Engineer tricky's Avatar

Default Re: Undoing crank bolt on auto 4AFE/4AFC - and retorque

Is it a manual? If so, stick it in gear and get a pal to stand on the brakes while you tighten away.

Sorry! Just re-read your post. Autos suck! One technique is to ram a big screw driver through the torque converter, but I don't recommend this! Can you fit something through the pulley to jam it? Really, this doesn't have to be uber tight, because it tightens under operation anyway. It just has to be tight enough to resist falling out due to vibrations. Some semi permanent loc-tite would be a good investment if you are going to under-torque it though.

Yep Auto. I do want to make sure it is tight enough. If it comes loost the key in the crankshaft could get shredded.

Just wondering if many people here had had hands on experience with autos when rattle gun not available.

Thanks

AVGAS DRINKING Carport Converter 30psi 4agte's Avatar

Although like TRICKY says not recommended but if you use two people ( one holding screw driver in place on the flex plate and other torquing bolt ) you should not have a prob with it

Only way i can think of.

How do you get to it? Can you take a cover plate off the bottom near where gearbox meets engine?

Cheers

I think you can ( not too familar with that setup) or pull the starter out.

anywhere you can get a decent wedge into one of the teeth will do.
    Using a rattle gun to do up the crank bolt is frowned upon as the rattling impact can distort the snout of the crank and cause the seal to leak.

Junior Member Grease Monkey RPM016T's Avatar

I once called toyota about this, the guys from the workshop advised me attach a big ass breaker bar to the crank bolt, rest the other end on the ground then give the starter a quick turn-over. Let the starter motor do all the work. It might pay to disconnect the main ignition lead as well, just incase the motor decides to run and throw a 1m long breaker bar towards you followed by a flying steel crank pully to take your head off if your not allready dead
    gt28714AGEKE15OM17SGoodi.

Junior Member Carport Converter Dale's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RPM016T
    I once called toyota about this, the guys from the workshop advised me attach a big ass breaker bar to the crank bolt, rest the other end on the ground then give the starter a quick turn-over. Let the starter motor do all the work. It might pay to disconnect the main ignition lead as well, just incase the motor decides to run and throw a 1m long breaker bar towards you followed by a flying steel crank pully to take your head off if your not allready dead
    He meant how to do it up

I'd try and lock the flywheel from removing the inspection plate - failing that the starter. And failing that I'd probably just use a bit of locktite and give the spanner/bar a few short blows with either my hand, or a hammer once it was pretty tight. The crank pulley spins clockwise anyway, so as long as it's fairly tight it's unlikely to vibrate loose.. if it did I'd assume you'd have bigger problems to fix.

That is the way i do mine up!
    Locktite and hit the spanner with a hammer a few times! I have never had a prob and thats on a motor spinning up to 9000.

Quote Originally Posted by Dale View Post
    He meant how to do it up

I'd try and lock the flywheel from removing the inspection plate - failing that the starter. And failing that I'd probably just use a bit of locktite and give the spanner/bar a few short blows with either my hand, or a hammer once it was pretty tight. The crank pulley spins clockwise anyway, so as long as it's fairly tight it's unlikely to vibrate loose.. if it did I'd assume you'd have bigger problems to fix.
    FYI this is not correct, starter method works to undo the crank bolt. On a '94 4AFE anyway

Hendo