Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: toyota's Smallest Factory steering wheels.

Low Down Style Domestic Engineer Johnzoku's Avatar

Default toyota's Smallest Factory steering wheels.

hey guys.

kinda over getting done for "steel centered" in QLD at the moment, ive been pulled over three times and had a warning and a fine for it (amongst other things), i even came home, went thru the NCOP to the section which refer's to steering wheels which said that my steering wheel (330mm autotechnica S/N blah blah blah) was approved by the ADR for use on australian roads... i didnt quesiton the fine at the time becuase of the other defective parts of my car i seamed to get away with...

anyway... looking around and theres not much choise in terms of steering wheels that would meet this new "criteria" that Queensland Police have come up with apart from a stock or "factory option" steering wheel.

ive seen on here and about the place that an import Ta63 had a steering wheel similar to a ae82 etc... So i was wondering if theres any differance between maybe say... ae86 GTV, Aw11, AE82, Random xA6x chassie cars (carina, celica, supra), corona in over all diameter as i would like the smallest possible? and what is there diameters as well? 350? 340? 330? etc...

have had a good search around and havent found much yet... will keep searching tho...

thanks,
    john.

Toymods Board Member Chief Engine Builder Hiro's Avatar

Default Re: toyota's Smallest Factory steering wheels.

I'm guessing the problem you got done for is that if the factory steering wheel has a padded centre then a replacement one has to as well. Doesn't matter that the Autotechnica one is approved for use via ADRs, that just means it can be used in cars with non-padded centres (generally means old-skool)
    AE102 - Charlene the Old Faithful, Reborn
    JZZ30 - Lexi the Spacecruiser, 1JZGTE>>3SGE. 200rwkw, hunting Skylines and n00bs in SS Commodores
    ST162 - Charlie the non-ghey Celica, 3SGE>>4AGE. GOOOOOOOONE
    AE82 - Rosie the Bitsa from Hell, 70.8kw atw. Has been converted into garage space and money at last
    KE55 - Billie the Beast, sadly missed

which is pretty much evey after market steering wheel... hence the thread.

how the last cop explained it was "if you have a crach the wood will shatter and the metal wont bend (or will?) and youll end up impailing your head on it"

the old rule used to be pre 85 cars were fine to have non padded centered steering wheels that are ADR approved which they now have moved back to 75 (as if lift insnt hard enough already) and not told anyone about it, and i cant find the amendment to the legislation anywhere just yet as they havnt updated it.

first i heard of it was when i was getting a ticket.

i can totally understand where there comming from. yes it can shatter, yes if not ADR approved it would prob not be desigined to crummple in a crash as the 1981 toyota steering wheel might ( ). but if they were serious about this they would do an add campaign and give out warnings for first time offenders. make it apparant that they were targeting defective steering wheels. its just a pure cash grab in my books.. almost evey modified car has an aftermarket steering wheel that for all intensive purposes are the same make and build. easy target. "humm i cant get him for much because he's got the F$#%^EN thing mod plated.... waaaaaiiiittttt... steering wheel! your going down"

Ta63

Incompetent Automotive Encyclopaedia

Wait til they start doing you for removing the factory mud flaps, that's been their favourite for motorbikes over the last couple of years.
    Must.... avoid.... urge... to... upgrade... parts I haven't.... used.... yet.....

my god! sooo... i should just start saving for that *insert supercar name here* as if its from factory they wont be able to touch me.

i can understand some modified cars are out right dangerous and im sure they've attened accedents where illigally modified cars have been invloved... but the majority of items they pick on seam to be items that you can easily do without... if they got to that stage of busting cars without mud flaps ill spend my days following trucks and ringing TT, ACA QT RTA , cops and reporting them... because i have quite a few windscreen chips from trucks not running mud flaps...

but thats another thread!

I'll measure my AE101 Levin and AE82 Twincam leather steering wheels this afternoon, the 101 is a bit of a boat tiller (still smaller than the 102 truck wheel) but the 82 is a bit smaller and meatier, plus they look damn cool.
    JZZ30 - Lexi the Spacecruiser, 1JZGTE>>3SGE. 200rwkw, hunting Skylines and n00bs in SS Commodores
    AE82 - Rosie the Bitsa from Hell, 70.8kw atw. Has been converted into garage space and money at last

thanks mate

anythings got to be better than the ma61/mz11 steering wheels... 360/380mm???... cant remember but there friken huge! would be cool to find a legal 330mm which seams to be a nice size to use (could go smaller but might test the legal limits tho)

AE101 Levin one is 350mm, about 375-380mm outer edge-to-edge

I'd be guessing 82 is 340mm, but my mind could be playing tricks so don't quote me.

Car Butcher Carport Converter WDE_BDY's Avatar

Will see if I can pull my TA63 wheel out of the shed this weekend.

Callum

Lord of InterpretiveDance Chief Engine Builder tomvale13's Avatar

The GT starlet steering wheel is pretty small, one of the better factory wheels I've used.

Dunno if it suits your application but just thought I'd mention it.

Quote Originally Posted by Cuzzo View Post
    They cash in the empty can of whoopass they received in SA and receive 10c's per punch...
    They have to accrew enough for nose reconstructions as well as feeding his mime family. The dont talk much so they never need much water for their dry mouths.

Junior Member Domestic Engineer

Ah, this my kind of thread. Was just thinking about this the other day also. I suspect you may have better luck in compact Toyota models that came with PS standard.

Then you just have to cross your fingers and hope that the splines match up when you pull it off and measure.

Rep points are for those who feel inadequate in other areas !

Quote Originally Posted by Hiro
    AE101 Levin one is 350mm, about 375-380mm outer edge-to-edge
    I'd be guessing 82 is 340mm, but my mind could be playing tricks so don't quote me.
    thanks for the measurements so far... looking foward to getting confirmed measurements ill measure the stock ma61, mz11 and ke70 steering wheels jsut for referance as well (not that the stock ones are kool in any way, shape or form )

WDE_BDY - epic win if you could mate.

tomvale13 - im not to sure about ep82 or ep91 but i reckon ep71 would work... i was looking on jayoo (yahoo japan ) and i came across a ep71 turbo steering wheel that was pretty much the same as an ae82 twin cam wheel (only turbo writen on it). would be cool to find out if thoes are much smaller... out of all the '80's twin cam/turbo' factory steering wheels. that would have the most potential to be the smallest...

abently thats what ive been thinking as well...

as in my response to tomvale13, i think ep71 would be the best bet... i run an ae86 steering boss kit on both my z11 and ma61, if the ep71 steering wheel is similar (but smaller.. fingers crossed) to the twin cam ae82 which i know fits on the ae86 then we would def. have a winner there!

Gary Motorsport Inc. Too Much Toyota takai's Avatar

Problem solvered....
    -Chris | Garage takai - Breaking cars since 1998
    Sparky - AE86 IPRA Racer | RZN149 Hilux - Parts and Car Hauler
    I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

Lord of InterpretiveDance Chief Engine Builder tomvale13's Avatar

yeah I've seen that wheel too, retro.

Quote Originally Posted by Cuzzo View Post
    They cash in the empty can of whoopass they received in SA and receive 10c's per punch...
    They have to accrew enough for nose reconstructions as well as feeding his mime family. The dont talk much so they never need much water for their dry mouths.

woah! ive been looking at ones like that my self... had a good one, but now cant find the link... only problem with them is if im going to the effort to find this i'd like it to have a) toyota b) twin cam or c) turbo on it just to aid my defence...

its factory
    its padded center
    you got nothing...

i quite like this, meets two of the three requirements, looks tiny, but looks can be deceiving

ive been reading that the AW11 had a special MOMO steering wheel and gear knob... had a search for a pic but cant seam to find one directly of it... (seams people write about there "special" parts but dont take photos...