Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: mr2 / gt4 / corolla caliper interchangeability

Incompetent Automotive Encyclopaedia

Default mr2 / gt4 / corolla caliper interchangeability

Looking for info on the possibility of mr2 & possible celica gt4 calipers bolting to corolla struts, adn what rotors might be suitable.

I have a set of the Series 2 SX/GTi rotors and am looking for a caliper to suit, apart from the fact I've had trouble finding a set of these I've also been told that MR2 and GT4 options might bolt on perfectly.
    Must.... avoid.... urge... to... upgrade... parts I haven't.... used.... yet.....

Junior Member Too Much Toyota oldcorollas's Avatar

Default Re: mr2 / gt4 / corolla caliper interchangeability

GT4 calipers are huge.... like 8kg each!
    their measurements are in the caliper thread
    "I'm a Teaspoon, not a mechanic"
    "There is hardly anything in the world that a man can not make a little worse and sell a little cheaper" - John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

AU$TRALIA... come and stay and PAY and PAY!!! The moral high horse of the world!

busy adding lightness Too Much Toyota MR22ZZ's Avatar

Most of them are bolt up (you will need to find the right size rotors to match, not necessarilly the ones with the calipers) the only exceptions are the ST205 4pot calipers which have the thread on the caliper rather than on the hub mount, and the superstrut caliper brackets may need to be ground down between the bolts for clearance onto the hub mounts depending on the application.

If you search the MR2 Owner Club forum, or the Twincam forum it's well covered in both places.
    Last edited by MR22ZZ; 20-04-2009 at 08:16 PM.
    Past Toyotas - Snow White (TA23), Blue Stivo (ZZE123)
    Current Toyotas - Hamster (AW11)
    Quote Originally Posted by X kyle X View Post
    the aw11 is rougher and more angular so it's sex Appel is more that of Sylvester stalone rather then brad pitt

Your mum is a Conversion King TERRA Operative's Avatar

TRD actually had a kit to bolt up GT4 calipers to the corolla. It came with all the bits needed for the conversion. It's not available from TRD anymore, but the kits in various forms comes up on Yahoo Japan every now and then.

I don't know how different the TRD knuckles are to the stock ones, but I guess the GT4 bolt centers will be wider than stock.

I have a feeling the bolt spacing is the same on the 4 piston calipers as people have drilled out the thread and fit them up fine. The advantage of the adapter plate is that you don't need to modify to threads on the hub or the caliper, and can fit the BIG rotors. I have a feeling you can only fit 275ish mm rotors without the adapter plates.
    the aw11 is rougher and more angular so it's sex Appel is more that of Sylvester stalone rather then brad pitt

I just saw a picture of the GT4 calipers, they're fucking ridiculous & also run a rotor that's way too wide for my application.

If anyone in QLD has a set of MR2 calipers I can borrow for measurements and a trial fit, that'd be tops.

Otherwise I'm just as happy with a set of the Series II SX/GTi calipers, I imagine they're cheap but I need to fricken FIND some.
    Must.... avoid.... urge... to... upgrade... parts I haven't.... used.... yet.....

Your mum is a Conversion King TERRA Operative's Avatar

Check out twincam, there's often a set of 2 pot Corolla super strut calipers for sale there. A few minor mods and they bolt up. They use the same pads as the AW1 MR2 IIRC.

the most common upgrade using the gtfour brakes uses the twin pot jdm 185 calipers yeah? More normal rotor sizes like 276mm or something, insted of the 315x32 of the 205 4 pots.
    ST205 Group A Rallye GT-Four 307kw atw @23 psi on 98oct, Now on E85.

1973 TA22

Junior Member Too Much Toyota oldcorollas's Avatar

they'd be the same as ST202 brakes then?
    i'm pretty sure Da_Horse measured them up in the brake caliper thread too
    "I'm a Teaspoon, not a mechanic"
    "There is hardly anything in the world that a man can not make a little worse and sell a little cheaper" - John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

AU$TRALIA... come and stay and PAY and PAY!!! The moral high horse of the world!

That's me before i was a Conversion King -GT-'s Avatar

Check the FAQ/how to threads on here! Superstrut ae101 calipers bolt straight up with minor grinding to the mounting and machined diameter discs; twin piston and thicker disc make it a much better option than the ae92 s2 gear. They're the same caliper as jdm st185, sw20, not sure if anything else?

Here you go;
    http://www.toymods.net/forums/showthread.php?t=142
    AE93 SX 20V - Next Wakefield track day is 13th of November 2015!
    1:15.47 at Wakefield Park | 1:59.45 at Eastern Creek GP | 1:08.81 at SMP South | 2:04.77 at Phillip Island
    Toymods Club Member

Non qualified Domestic Engineer

Quote Originally Posted by oldcorollas
    except for a very few exceptions
    "Don't worry what people think, they don't do it very often."

Daily: Glorified Taxi (F6 Typhoon). Out Of Action: Twin-charged Adub. Ongoing Nightmare: Over re-engineered (not) Alfa Romeo 75.

I already have the Series II AE9x brake rotors which are brand new and I've just paid a small fortune for, so will be using them. I just need to find a caliper to suit, I will hold out for Series II calipers if I need to, but if there are other bolt-on options that will do the trick then I'll go that way if they're easier to find.

Quote Originally Posted by Plonka
    This guy mentions "revision 2 MK2 turbo calipers" that accept a 22mm disc. I assume this is the later series SW20 MR2 (the one with the funky taillights). I wonder if these would go...

Gearwhore. Backyard Mechanic

I'm about to play around with some ZZE123 rotors (same PCD, 11" rotor - biggest out of all 4 stud rotors but needs a 1mm hub ring) and hoping to find a caliper that should bolt straight up and accept that size disc. ST184 disc is the right size, so hoping mounting the ST184 caliper onto the AW11 hub should give me a pretty spot on result (although I've heard the bracket will allow it to only accept a ~260mm rotor).
    The above opinion is just that - my opinion. It is not shared by any business that I am currently or have previously been involved with, nor any of their employee's.

I have ZZE123 calipers

fit perfect with the ST185 278mm rotors

I have some ST185 singles on the way
    I also have some ST202 twins on the way

research is great
    I'm going to try and mix and match to get the big rotor twin front combination

I could hit up TOCAU to see if anyone has any 2nd hand ZZE123 rotors around the traps, but personally I'll rather use the correct centre bore initially as that's the vital measure for rotor balance hence the DBA743s

Gearwhore. Backyard Mechanic

Quote Originally Posted by MR22ZZ
    I have ZZE123 calipers

fit perfect with the ST185 278mm rotors

I have some ST185 singles on the way
    I also have some ST202 twins on the way

research is great
    I'm going to try and mix and match to get the big rotor twin front combination

I could hit up TOCAU to see if anyone has any 2nd hand ZZE123 rotors around the traps, but personally I'll rather use the correct centre bore initially as that's the vital measure for rotor balance hence the DBA743s
    That's great to hear! I had been looking into the Ksport 11" brake kit, but it's just SO expensive (especially with the exchange rate the way it is these days) and I hadn't really wanted to redrill/machine any rotors. Another possibility I had been looking into was putting rear AE102 hubs on the front to give me the right centre bore to begin with, but one of my mate's who is a fitter and turner has promised he can make me some hub rings that will fit perfectly.
    The above opinion is just that - my opinion. It is not shared by any business that I am currently or have previously been involved with, nor any of their employee's.