Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How much is Historic Registration

User Conversion King

Default Re: How much is Historic Registration

in qld the car only needs to be over 30yr old also.

you just have to join an affiliated club and get a representative to date the car on a certificate.

15 or 20km driving radius from garaged address for 'testing'
    hello

Chicken Plucker Grease Monkey Chickenman's Avatar

I think as mentioned before some clubs also interpret the rules differently to others. I am not a member of Toymods (though will be in due course), I am however a member of a rally club. There are many rally cars in NSW that have historic rego, many of these cars have roll cages, race seat and harness's and also other more modern equipment like tripmeters. I have heard of other clubs (marque specific) that are very strict on modifications to the cars that are rego'ed under their banner.

Toymods Vice President Chief Engine Builder TheToyman75's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chickenman View Post
    I think as mentioned before some clubs also interpret the rules differently to others. I am not a member of Toymods (though will be in due course), I am however a member of a rally club. There are many rally cars in NSW that have historic rego, many of these cars have roll cages, race seat and harness's and also other more modern equipment like tripmeters. I have heard of other clubs (marque specific) that are very strict on modifications to the cars that are rego'ed under their banner.
    Chickenman,

A lot of clubs do have their own take on the rules and some are much tougher than they need to be. Buy the same token many are also more relaxed than they should be, and while that may seem appealing, when your charged with driving an unregistered vehicle because it doesn't comply you maynot want to thank them. And of the day, the driver is accountable for his or her car. Each state has a council that looks after Historic rego and works with the RTA. Stick to the Council guidelines and you shouldn't have any trouble.

As for roll cages and accessories, if you could buy it when the car was new you can have it ! A good insurance is to keep a motor or wheels magazine from teh year of your car showing the parts you have (Exact parts, or replica's not a modern equivilent)
    1971 2T-B Celica TA22 ST.
    1973 2T-G Celica TA22, aka "The Unicorn".
    1975 2T-G Celica TA27 GT
    1976 2T-G Celica TA23, aka "The Colonel".
    1985 3F Auto FJ62 Landcruiser
    1989 7M-GTE MA70 Supra, aka "The Poopra"

History: Rods Classic Celica Sampler thread.

Junior Member Grease Monkey

A precautionary note for Victorians; a vehicle on club permit can only be used for events organised/sponsored by an Vicroads Approved Car Club, and in preparing the vehicle for such club events.

There is also provision for the issue of a 'Special Use Authorisation', which I have had to utilise a few times (such as for a CCCV cruise last November).

Chicken Plucker Grease Monkey Chickenman's Avatar

Toyman, I wasn't having a go at Toymods at all, just stating that some clubs interpret the rules differently to other clubs. Historic rego is very popular in the rally fraternity. On the whole, most people and clubs still respect the rules and follow them. The big factor is that the rule was designed for enthusiasts to enjoy their hobby in a more cost effective manner, as the cars are not on the road as much as a normal daily driver. Different car clubs cater for different areas of the motoring hobby, and as such will focus their own historic rego requirements to suit.
    On a side note, more modern rally cars tend to be run on Unregistered Vehicle Permits now, as it is very hard to get a highly modified car fully registered, but rallies require some form of rego.

Sorry if I was unable to get my point accross sufficiently.

Junior Member 1st year Apprentice

sorry to bring up an old thread
    but i have heard somewhere in NSW under club rego (im assuming this is same as historic rego, correct me if im wrong?)
    that you can drive within a 10km radius of the registered address without any logbooks or notification
    can anyone confirm this thanks?

Gach2,

That side of things is policed at a club level. However if you get pulled over and your trip is not in the club register you may find yourself on the end of a fine.

Toymods requires we are notified for each and any trip so we can log it and ensure our members on Historic rego have no issues with the boys in blue or the insurance companies.

You can take your vehicle for a maintenance run to keep it in good order, you just need to let us know before you go.
    1975 2T-G Celica TA27 GT

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic egamirrorim's Avatar

Are you allowed to drive the car to buy parts for it?
    Driving to an auto parts store for oil & filter; Perhaps you bought some period parts/accessories and wish to drive the car to pick them up, etc. Is this allowed?

Toymods Net Nazi Too Much Toyota river's Avatar

Hi,

Such a trip could be regarded as a service run.

However, as mentioned, it is best to inform the Club beforehand. The reason for this is in the event of an accident. If you are driving a historic plate vehicle and have not informed the Club then you run the risk of being fined by the Police and, if in an accident, will not be insured.

Informing the Club covers your butt.

seeyuzz
    river
    The thinking man's clown and the drinking woman's sex symbol
    RA25GT - There is no substitute | 18R-G - Toyota's Dependable Masterpiece
    Toymods Car Club Treasurer, assistant Historic Plate Registrar & Forums Admin

sus-023 Backyard Mechanic Slidin23's Avatar

hi just wondering it may be a stupid question because my car is modded buttt im doing all period correct mods such as 18rg origanal race car styling of that era 14 inch watanabees etc..

am i eligeable for historic rego?

Junior Member Too Much Toyota oldcorollas's Avatar

in south australia?
    it depends which club is administering it there, and what your RTA's requirements are..

QLD and VIC and NSW (toymods cars have to be NSW to be historic) all have different guidelines

NSW is more strict than the other states. factory accessories or options are generally ok? but mod mods, if they are visible, may not be so good?
    "I'm a Teaspoon, not a mechanic"
    "There is hardly anything in the world that a man can not make a little worse and sell a little cheaper" - John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

AU$TRALIA... come and stay and PAY and PAY!!! The moral high horse of the world!

Toymods Net Nazi Too Much Toyota river's Avatar

Hi,

As OC mentioned, all states are different. NSW and (I beleive) the ACT are very similar in that they do allow period accessories, which means period styling such as stripes, wheels, wings/spoilers etc. Also they allow mods for safety reasons, such as seat belts and things like that.

Toymods allows engine upgrades, so long as they are applicable to the era. For example, an LT1600 TA22 could be purchased from Toyota (using their "buyers choice" program at the time) with a 2T-G engine. Therefore, we allow your TA22 to have its 2T replaced by a 2T-G, and remain on historic plates - assuming the rest of the car meets historic requirements.

Not sure what the SA regulations are.

seeyuzz
    river
    The thinking man's clown and the drinking woman's sex symbol
    RA25GT - There is no substitute | 18R-G - Toyota's Dependable Masterpiece
    Toymods Car Club Treasurer, assistant Historic Plate Registrar & Forums Admin

http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/sho...t=29041&page=3

well here is my car... im trying to make it look like a 70's jap street car..... would you consider it period correct? appart from the suspension....

Dude,

You need to be in NSW to get Historic Rego with Toymods, and the coil overs, Sparco seats and rack and pinion steering would not be acceptable as they were not period accessories.
    1975 2T-G Celica TA27 GT

thats why i was asking.... mainly if it would come under classic rally status....