Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: make rep info open to public

the Afterbirth Tycoon Automotive Encyclopaedia PlacentaJuan's Avatar

Default make rep info open to public

why cant toymods members view the rep given and reason of other members?

i think this would give 'rep' a lot more credibility.

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia SillyCarS's Avatar

Default Re: make rep info open to public

you must have massif byceps from stirring the pot all the time juanny

Zub Zub Domestic Engineer Gavatron's Avatar

Greatest call ever
    || 91 MX83 Cressida Grande 1JZGTE - Daily || 84 MA61 Supra 2JZGE - Track ||

im not going to hold back creative thought just because people might not like my ideas.

dont worry ill have one eventually that people will like.

acutally im just jealous im not in a rep club where you get to circle jerk rep-juice over each other

User Conversion King

rep?!?

is that thing still operational?

i forgot about that ages ago
    hello

Junior Member Too Much Toyota oldcorollas's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PlacentaJuan
    i think the reputation system as lost its relevance to this forum; anyone can give rep for whatever reason they like and more often than not will give negative over positive, weather or not the post in question is car related.

by now does anyone really take reputation seriously?

i admit it is a much better idea than the old 'post count' system but i think reputation will only work with some rules so that people cant just rep someone willy-nilly.

ie; no rep without a reason
    no rep in general or non-car discussion forums etc
    yea i guess it just goes to show how serious everyone takes the whole rep system, as it stands at the moment.

i kind of dont expect any admins to do anything about giving 'rep like an idiot' since they contribute to that themselves, which i have seen first hand. (not that i am complaining about that, just trying to suggest ways to improve the system)

i guess that people have lots of different opinions in non-car discussion and maybe wouldnt take that part of the forum as seriously as the on-topic (car) discussion; which would add to the whole rep system being kind of pointless by giving or taking rep just because you dont agree with someone over something trivial.

but thats the way it is set up so we can only do our best by suggesting what we think might be an improvement.

like you said; financial members dont need to worry w00t
    Quote Originally Posted by PlacentaJuan from 2 years ago :P
    why not just make rep reasons available for EVERYONE to read?

for instance make it so that anyone can view all the people that gave (or took) rep from me and their reasons why.

i think this would be a much better way to police rep becuase then it would be obvious as to who gets rep for stupid reasons, and therefore who is to be taken seriously when it comes to technical knowledge, and people would discourage others from giving them rep points for stupid reasons.

alternatively, people would just use the search feature to find a post in the tech section to apply rep to, for a post or comment in the NCD threads....
    aaand then mid last year
    why cant i rep someone for amusing comments?

if someone says something that makes me laugh i want to encourage it and give them rep, i will just find a random post in the tech section and give them rep linking it to their funny comment.
    there has been mention a few times of moving to a rep system that separates the areas in which it was given..
    but.. who does take rep seriously? newcomers? there appears to be plenty of people with high rep who mostly get it from circle-jerks or from funnies (but unfortunately, i am not funny ) but should rep be taken so seriously?

i guess it is better to have some form of "rep system" so people can be reminded when they are contributing, and when they are contributing badly.
    IF you try to make rep to be taken "more seriously", then the giving and taking of rep needs to be policeed a lot more.. even moderated.. but really, who has time for that or cares enough?
    "I'm a Teaspoon, not a mechanic"
    "There is hardly anything in the world that a man can not make a little worse and sell a little cheaper" - John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

AU$TRALIA... come and stay and PAY and PAY!!! The moral high horse of the world!

Toymods Net Nazi Too Much Toyota river's Avatar

Hi,

It doesn't matter what we do to the rep system there will always be people who use it differently. Technology and smarter software is a wonderous thing, but the stupidity of people will always prevail and find ways to abuse any system that is in place.

WIth the new forum software upgrade coming soon I am hoping to have all rep removed and re-starting afresh and with only the tech section and maybe For Sale being able to give and take rep.

Of course, as the Emperors Daughter has copied in the above post, that scheme would be in jeopardy as you said you'd rep someone for posting something funny and put this rep in a random tech thread of theirs. So, again, it doesn't matter what we do or implement, people will abuse it.

seeyuzz
    river
    The thinking man's clown and the drinking woman's sex symbol
    RA25GT - There is no substitute | 18R-G - Toyota's Dependable Masterpiece
    Toymods Car Club Treasurer, assistant Historic Plate Registrar & Forums Admin

yes and i would probably abuse it too, but taking rep off people that i didnt think deserved it or something.

i like the idea of only giveing rep in the tech and for sale sections.

but if you reset everyones rep to 0 then a lot of people who have allready put lots of stuff in the tech section (and got lots of rep for it in the tech section) will feel a bit hard done by, having to compete with newbs even though you have a good reputation for tech knowledge, you will appear to be the same as the newb rep-wise.

and wait until we get the "how to install takumi stickers on your jdm sprintah" threads and watch these newbs get more rep than OC!

no wait that soudns like fun. do it.

Junior Member Domestic Engineer Toy77's Avatar

just take the bit where you can see the rep away..... let it accumulate behind the scenes - people can still see thier own in the user CP and see what people value about what they say. but takes away the e-penis system.

as for just those 2 areas (tech and for sale)... i know alot of mine has come from my members rides thread which reads like a tech document anyway. i have heaps of tech questions in there.. that people valued my response to.
    I also have the typical "i want to sex your car" rep from that thread too....

it seems to get rid of people..... they get neg repped out of here....
    stop people just joining to sell stuff....

but thats the limit of its usefulness.... there are alot of people on here with high rep that know next to FA, a valued member of the community perhaps - but their rep is not what you would base your decision on when it comes to a technical question.

Cheers
    Stew
    Aerodynamics are for people who can’t build engines. – Enzo Ferrari

on the surface, it is not a bad idea.. but who is pedantic enough to peruse where peoples rep came from? they can't do anythign abotu it anyway.
    mods can see who gave what as it is, and they can reverse/remove/whatever any rep...

but as said, it's not that important.. especially for club members 8although i do agree some peoples rep is rather suspicious )
    "There is hardly anything in the world that a man can not make a little worse and sell a little cheaper" - John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

AU$TRALIA... come and stay and PAY and PAY!!! The moral high horse of the world!

corollamanic Backyard Mechanic

have a tech meter,

a funny meter,

and a fuck off you dumb **** meter.

all three should work simultaneously, and people should be able to use all three for their intensive purposes, and if people are not, moderators can turn up their fuck off you dumb **** meter, and do exactly that to the perp.

-Dave

busy adding lightness Too Much Toyota MR22ZZ's Avatar

and a trader meter
    Past Toyotas - Snow White (TA23), Blue Stivo (ZZE123)
    Current Toyotas - Hamster (AW11)
    Quote Originally Posted by X kyle X View Post
    the aw11 is rougher and more angular so it's sex Appel is more that of Sylvester stalone rather then brad pitt

and start charging for ads?

busy adding lightness Too Much Toyota MR22ZZ's Avatar

no, trader, as is anyone who sells stuff, not just a forum/club sponsor.

it's useful to know who has trading history when buying stuff.

and I suppose it would also shows that are trading commercially... or are just hoarders like Clint
    Past Toyotas - Snow White (TA23), Blue Stivo (ZZE123)
    Current Toyotas - Hamster (AW11)
    Quote Originally Posted by X kyle X View Post
    the aw11 is rougher and more angular so it's sex Appel is more that of Sylvester stalone rather then brad pitt

you mean who sells the most? or just who makes a single good sale? or?

i spose it could curb some peoples selling habits (both poor, and numerous...)