Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: make rep info open to public

Opinionated Arsehole Backyard Mechanic

Default Re: make rep info open to public

Edited post.
    Last edited by 4DaDrift; 07-08-2009 at 03:32 AM.

My Wife says I have Too Much Toyota o_man_ra23's Avatar

I think something I would like to start neg repping people for is the use of American spelling by those who are Australian. The teachers of this country have taken a lot of time and effort to teach people how to spell correctly, using the Queen's English, not the president's English.

So words like color should be spelt colour. Tire should be tyre (unless you mean you don't feel very awake). Mom should be mum. Thru should be through. And the list goes on. Personally I feel that being able to spell, but choosing to spell in another person's language when it makes your message no more clearer is just an insult to all the teachers in Australia. Americans (and quite possibly others) are excused, as they have been taught wrong from the beginning, and it isn't their fault

If I continually make the same spelling/gramma errors which an Australian who had a sound achievement in high school English shouldn't make, please let me know. Whether it be by PM or neg rep. If you are legitimately pointing out a deficiency in my ability effectively communicate in written English, then I need to know about it, as an important part of my work is being able to effectively communicate in writing (though I don't need the same level of correctness that a post graduate English scholar might).
    Cheers, Owen
    1977 RA28 with 1JZ-GTE (Was 18R-GTE)
    Lancer EVO Brakes into old Celica/Corolla/Corona
    Doing the things that aren't popular... cause being popular and being good are often distinctly different.

Junior Member Carport Converter Z2TT's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by o_man_ra23
    I think something I would like to start neg repping people for is the use of American spelling by those who are Australian. The teachers of this country have taken a lot of time and effort to teach people how to spell correctly, using the Queen's English, not the president's English.

So words like color should be spelt colour. Tire should be tyre (unless you mean you don't feel very awake). Mom should be mum. Thru should be through. And the list goes on. Personally I feel that being able to spell, but choosing to spell in another person's language when it makes your message no more clearer is just an insult to all the teachers in Australia. Americans (and quite possibly others) are excused, as they have been taught wrong from the beginning, and it isn't their fault

If I continually make the same spelling/gramma errors which an Australian who had a sound achievement in high school English shouldn't make, please let me know. Whether it be by PM or neg rep. If you are legitimately pointing out a deficiency in my ability effectively communicate in written English, then I need to know about it, as an important part of my work is being able to effectively communicate in writing (though I don't need the same level of correctness that a post graduate English scholar might).
    What about "you" instead of "u", I know that the soarer central forum will ban people for a while for speaking like this. They have a place called the Sinbin, have a look :

http://soarercentral.com/sc-forum/me...956/52958.html

It also shows the reasons people were banned, some reasons are :

Suspended: LAME and excessive USE OF CAPITALS
    Banned: Posting disgusting pics of himself
    Banned: Inflammatory post, using all caps, driving a Commodore
    Suspended: Typing/SMS-Speak (re-instated)
    Last edited by Z2TT; 20-04-2009 at 04:23 PM.

Toymods Club Member #194 Conversion King Lambolica's Avatar

If you read Toymods rules, they are the same.

Technically they are bannable offences if the user doesn't stop.

4Da... OC was making a point in that post without any puntuation.

CHeers
    Simon
    Beige.... The new Black!!!

Toymods Net Nazi Too Much Toyota river's Avatar

Hi,

I haven't banned anyone yet for being dumb, uneducated, lazy, or thinking they're super cool for using bad poor grammar and woeful spelling.

But.... I can... if we want to get all fussy over the forum rules.

seeyuzz
    river
    The thinking man's clown and the drinking woman's sex symbol
    RA25GT - There is no substitute | 18R-G - Toyota's Dependable Masterpiece
    Toymods Car Club Treasurer, assistant Historic Plate Registrar & Forums Admin

Using 'u' instead of 'you' should be limited to SMS where you are VERY limited in the number of characters you can fit into one message. Sometimes I will get to the character limit of a message, then go back and edit words such as to and you just to get enough characters to finish the message in one go. The local paper doesn't seem to know how to concatenate two messages, and I can't seem to find out how to make multiple messages send as one.
    Cheers, Owen
    Doing the things that aren't popular... cause being popular and being good are often distinctly different.

Forum Sponsor Conversion King

Quote Originally Posted by 4DaDrift
    The first part is a legitimate consideration, and without knowing circumstances, didn't know this would be the reason behind it, rather than laziness.

Yet...

... this is a personal opinion, and without knowing specifics, could construe this as an example of what I've theorised!
    How do OC not know that to the person, it is a very serious, legitimate issue ?

To some people, perhaps it's as annoying as 1337 speak, no punctuation ALL CAPITALS etc, that personally annoy you ?

I would suggest someone pedantic enough to negative rep you for not using capitals at the start of sentences does have an issue, namely with the lack of capitalisation in your post!

Look, I'm no angel when it comes to punctuation, grammar etcetera, yet after reading posts of mine from the second forum recently, it is blatantly obvious to even me, as to the effort I've gone to in order to improve above mentioned.

All we all can ask for others, is a conscious and meaningful attempt.
    i don't use caps much and its mainly due to my typing skills lacking severly but does this mean i deserve to get neg repped for it?

i believe the info i bring to the community is whats valuable not how easy i have made it for someone to read, or would ppl prefer it if i didn't answer the tech questions directed to me daily?

Cheers
    Linden
    Quote Originally Posted by WHITCHY
    Prefer someone around the Sydney area but will travel a few hours for a good box!

Junior Member Too Much Toyota oldcorollas's Avatar

i've seen you type and i am glad you put in (so much) effort

i would rather the forum had golden information in relatively good english, than having well punctuated posts dribbling crap...
    "I'm a Teaspoon, not a mechanic"
    "There is hardly anything in the world that a man can not make a little worse and sell a little cheaper" - John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

AU$TRALIA... come and stay and PAY and PAY!!! The moral high horse of the world!

Opinionated Arsehole Backyard Mechanic

Edited post.
    Last edited by 4DaDrift; 07-08-2009 at 03:20 AM.

Linden and Stu, though I can't say I have ever noticed either of you as the most proficient with a keyboard (haven't really bothered to look) I don't find the posts that either of you make hard to read. So in total, your technical contributions are greater than most, and your keyboard skills are not detrimental to your communication. Though I haven't noticed either of you using American bastardised spelling either.

Its only when things get hard to read, or American TV shows teach people more than their English teachers that I get frustrated.
    Cheers, Owen

I <3 Vito Conversion King RiceburnaGTV's Avatar

I gave Karl pos rep for being the only cool gey kent i know and also Slim some pos cause he just finally tied the knot with my old lady..Do you want to know anymore?
    Last edited by RiceburnaGTV; 04-05-2009 at 07:00 PM.
    -Just Alloy Radiators-
    www.alloyradiators.com.au

Toymods Net Nazi Too Much Toyota river's Avatar

Hi,

Quote Originally Posted by RiceburnaGTV
    I gave Karl pos rep for being the only cool gey kent i know and also Slim some pos cause he just finally tied the know with my old lady..Do you want to know anymore?
    Crikey.. you must know only 1 person to think Witzlhymen is cool!

seeyuzz
    river
    The thinking man's clown and the drinking woman's sex symbol
    RA25GT - There is no substitute | 18R-G - Toyota's Dependable Masterpiece
    Toymods Car Club Treasurer, assistant Historic Plate Registrar & Forums Admin