Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: make rep info open to public

busy adding lightness Too Much Toyota MR22ZZ's Avatar

Default Re: make rep info open to public

those that make a good single sale is what I was getting at.

someone sells something, the purchaser comments on the service, kind of like e-bay.
    Past Toyotas - Snow White (TA23), Blue Stivo (ZZE123)
    Current Toyotas - Hamster (AW11)
    Quote Originally Posted by X kyle X View Post
    the aw11 is rougher and more angular so it's sex Appel is more that of Sylvester stalone rather then brad pitt

Junior Member Too Much Toyota oldcorollas's Avatar

ahh... so why not charge for the privilege of having an ebay-like service?
    "I'm a Teaspoon, not a mechanic"
    "There is hardly anything in the world that a man can not make a little worse and sell a little cheaper" - John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

AU$TRALIA... come and stay and PAY and PAY!!! The moral high horse of the world!

Junior Member Domestic Engineer

Quote Originally Posted by river
    Hi,

It doesn't matter what we do to the rep system there will always be people who use it differently. Technology and smarter software is a wonderous thing, but the stupidity of people will always prevail and find ways to abuse any system that is in place.

seeyuzz
    river
    + rep to River
    + rep to thread starter

I reckon, rep should get removed completely, the only meter there should be is a sellers/buyer meter.

Kind of like e-bay, as stated, everything should be linked to the item, that way you cant just hand out +/- ve trader rep for no reason, there also needs to be sub categories i reckon.

I.e.

Communications out of 5 (5 being best, 1 being worst)
    Pics and description out of 5
    Postage and packing out of 5

Overall rating out of 15,

then should be like a reliability section, so lets say, 5 dealings, 4 went well, 1 went sour, 80% reliability, but then there needs to be a section where it can be amended if need be.

seems like alot of work, but would give better insight to how good one is.

I have only ever given rep for purchases and selling items, as well as specific tek info, which for i requested!

thanxs
    wog
    Current: 94 jzs147 aristo, 92 ep82gt starlet
    Prev: ma61, gz20, jza70, uzz31, ncp10r, 92 sw20r
    And the winner of the big car race is......HOT ROD ZOIDBERG!

Toymods Net Nazi Too Much Toyota river's Avatar

Hi,

While it would be good to see seller/buyer rep or feedback, we cannot ignore the vast number of people who do not buy or sell items but offer a wealth of technical expertise that has helped many people.

However, the current version of our forum software is a tad ancient and needs to be upgraded before we can do anything in regards to changing rep etc. The latest version offers more flexibility and options that we can use.

We are in progress of getting the latest forum software. It is something we need to do carefully so we do not stuff up anything or cause too much angst and confusion for the forum users.

seeyuzz
    river
    The thinking man's clown and the drinking woman's sex symbol
    RA25GT - There is no substitute | 18R-G - Toyota's Dependable Masterpiece
    Toymods Car Club Treasurer, assistant Historic Plate Registrar & Forums Admin

Junior Member Too Much Toyota oldcorollas's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by woggin
    I reckon, rep should get removed completely, the only meter there should be is a sellers/buyer meter.
    wog, attitudes like that make me want the classifieds section removed completely.

classifieds is only there as a benefit to toymods club members and toymods forum members.
    "I'm a Teaspoon, not a mechanic"
    "There is hardly anything in the world that a man can not make a little worse and sell a little cheaper" - John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

AU$TRALIA... come and stay and PAY and PAY!!! The moral high horse of the world!

Toymods Net Nazi Too Much Toyota river's Avatar

Hi,

Personally I'd like the classifieds section to be club members only.

seeyuzz
    river
    The thinking man's clown and the drinking woman's sex symbol
    RA25GT - There is no substitute | 18R-G - Toyota's Dependable Masterpiece
    Toymods Car Club Treasurer, assistant Historic Plate Registrar & Forums Admin

What a great topic !

To be honest though the Reputation display system should include the negatives. Ie 5 green cards for positives and 2 red cards for negatives etc.

It also should be transparent to let the Forum users self regulate / watch over it.

But this is the real world and there are more important things to do in life so I'm not fussed if these changes never get implemented.

Rep points are for those who feel inadequate in other areas !

corollamanic Backyard Mechanic

this is a tech forum.

not ebay.

the classifieds section are a good way to create interest from people other than tech heads. it is a more common level.

Toymods is a valuable resource for Toyota Modifiers, Toyota Restorers, and car enthusiasts in general.

All users should respect the forum for what it is. A valuable tool.

Appreciation should be given by making a contribution, whether it be financially or by assisting with another members problems/queries.

I personally appreciate the feeling of Community that is present in most sections of the forums.

I appreciate Rivers (grand)fatherly comments some with wisdom and some with cynicism and wit.

i also appreciate a little comic relief from Tomvale13.

Oldcorollas never lets you down with a tech/jap/yahoo comment wherever needed.

all these members are valuable, even though they contribute differently, and they all have significant rep as being contributors.

the rep system is not infallible, but it does go a long way to show how far a user has contributed to the forum.

Thanks for being there Toymods.

Thanks Moderators, thanks contributors.

-Dave

Gary Motorsport Inc. Too Much Toyota takai's Avatar

Fwiw, a few forums im on have a good iTrader system working. Basically just allows for a bit of accountability in the FS forums.

Oh yeah, im still getting +rep from that CPH thread in Tech. Must be going on 3 years now.
    -Chris | Garage takai - Breaking cars since 1998
    Sparky - AE86 IPRA Racer | RZN149 Hilux - Parts and Car Hauler
    I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

the Afterbirth Tycoon Automotive Encyclopaedia PlacentaJuan's Avatar

i dunno why were goin on about the classified but ill swing us back on track here,

since we agree that no matter how rep is given out there will be ways around the system, so why not let everyons rep be public ?

it wont make any difference, but for one if there is a heavy discussion in the tech section and 2 people are going at it with different sides to the truth, you look at ones rep and there all like "wow ure so funny have some rep' and maybe a few real ones, and the other guy is 100% genuine rep for help he has given and for good tech articles he has written, who are you more likely to believe is right?

even if the guy with lots of bs rep has 10 times as many reppoints as the other guy, its quality not quantity and there are people here with relatively little rep but know a lot more than other people, and are a lot more helpful etc and i think they would really benefit from others being able to view their rep and see that they are genuinely knowledgeable.

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia SillyCarS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by oldcorollas
    wog, attitudes like that make me want the classifieds section removed completely.

classifieds is only there as a benefit to toymods club members and toymods forum members.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by takai
    Fwiw, a few forums im on have a good iTrader system working. Basically just allows for a bit of accountability in the FS forums.

Oh yeah, im still getting +rep from that CPH thread in Tech. Must be going on 3 years now.
    you really do deserve it though. this is a perfect example of what rep should be alocated to

Quote Originally Posted by river
    Hi,

While it would be good to see seller/buyer rep or feedback, we cannot ignore the vast number of people who do not buy or sell items but offer a wealth of technical expertise that has helped many people.

seeyuzz
    river
    Hmmm, never thought of that, i for one, have been helped many times, from you aswell river(but your rep is sky high), but as said earlier, some people will use it properly, while others will just hand it out like a hooker on the street corner.

The classifieds is always a 'iffy' area, as there are some people who just log-in to check out that area and dont care for anything else, whilst others dont really care for whats in there, but if something they need comes up, the access to it is there.

I like the idea that Toymods is a private forum (need log-in to see the majority of site), but at the same time, i dont like some of the other sites that require it. I like the fact that toymods doesnt discriminate against 'free' emails (Hotmail, yahoo, gmail) because it gives somebody like me, a person who cbf using his ISP email an easier option.

I have had my hotmail since i was 10, so i have used that ever since, but now i need to use my ISP email for cressidaforums and AMC, which i dont like, but if it keeps spam-bots off the forums, i guess its a PLUS!

maybe i am just talkin cr#p!

wog
    Current: 94 jzs147 aristo, 92 ep82gt starlet
    Prev: ma61, gz20, jza70, uzz31, ncp10r, 92 sw20r
    And the winner of the big car race is......HOT ROD ZOIDBERG!

My Wife says I have Too Much Toyota o_man_ra23's Avatar

Gday, my 2c (plus GST)

Classifieds are a way to get people into Toymods. I personally originally logged onto Toymods (many years ago) to find out a few things about my '23, then got distracted, then came back to sell some parts to make a bit of money to keep me at uni, and the 23 on the road. Then came the change to the new forum format. If you dig back, you will find I whinged about it at start. Then I started to get more into the tech area, and discovered what Toymods is all about. From that, I have decided to become a paying member and contribute regularly to the club.

So what can we take from this??

Without the classifieds, I wouldn't be here.

Without the rep system as is, I wouldn't have gained the interest in the tech section that I have.

Without paying members, there wouldn't be a forum.

I too think that public viewing of a person's rep reasons (with or without the names of people giving the rep) would be a good thing. But there are many other improvements which could be made to the rep system, and I think that being able to throttle down the amount of pos/neg rep would be more beneficial, as sometimes I would just like to give somebody 1 or 2 + rep so they have to earn their way to that first 30 points in a similar way I did. I think that would help the tech section get more new contributers (read people offering advice or asking good questions).

A separate trading system for the classifieds would be a nice to have, but really, if somebody is a dodgy operator, the board has the power to neg the hell out of them (if they are reported of course), and the public have previously negg'd a dodgy operator out of Toymods (Can't remember the username, but didn't his rep get to -1000??)

Anyways, I would say the existing system is working, and any potential improvement would need to be thought about long and hard (so Riv, you will have to put down your bong for a few minutes for that one )

Oh, and I think TomVale's rep should be trimmed... maybe take a couple of digits off the end?? Funny bugger he is, but shouldn't have that much rep.
    Cheers, Owen
    1977 RA28 with 1JZ-GTE (Was 18R-GTE)
    Lancer EVO Brakes into old Celica/Corolla/Corona
    Doing the things that aren't popular... cause being popular and being good are often distinctly different.

the Afterbirth Tycoon Automotive Encyclopaedia PlacentaJuan's Avatar

we have to be carful that we dont start a situation where you can get rep (or the appearance of technical knowlegde due to high rep) because of rep from cclassifieds.

classified should have NO REP< It is a privelidge to BUY or SELL at toymods, we dont expect payment or rep.

it wuold be nice to know who is a bad seller, but a quick browse through the active for sale threads soon shows you who to avoid, i wouldnt need a trader rating to know someone is a bad trader. (unfortunately someone allways has to suffer so we can find these people out)

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic

We don't even need the rep system at all! If all the knowledge that people have is going to be kept to themselves because they don't get 'rep' then we don't need those people anyway. I don't care about rep and it won't make me/stop me from helping somebody if I can. We didn't need rep on the old forums and we don't need it here, it's a total WANK! Someone's rep doesn't make their contribution more valuable, it's the content of their posts. Anyone who can't very quickly realise who has good technical knowledge on here must be really struggling.
    This whole neg rep bullshit is just as bad and it simply stifles free speech even if many others don't agree and if they don't they can post their disagreement just like I am right now.
    The classified's are there so we can give our 'brother's' first option on parts that we no longer want. Why should that be restricted to club members only? Personally, I feel this is elitist and is indicative of the way some members view this forum, as their own and not a public forum. Dodgy sellers are shut down pretty damn quick on here and all credit goes to the mods for doing so.
    Additionally I'd like to say that the moderation on here is exemplary and is very non interventionist which is something I really appreciate.
    My opinion is that this forum would only IMPROVE with the removal of the rep system.