Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blacktop 20v Check Engine Light

Junior Member 1st year Apprentice

Default Blacktop 20v Check Engine Light

Hey

I have a AE111 running a standard 20v bt motor.
    It runs very well, but occasionally the check engine light comes on and it revs up to around
    2.5k for between 5 to 20 seconds then stops. During this time i have to pull over until its finished!.
    I have checked the map sensor and it doesnt seem to have any loose connections or anything.
    This only happens maybe once a day and the rest of the time its fine. Its really pissing me off!

Just wondering if anyone has any ideas on the intermittent issue?!?

Thanks for any help!

Default Re: Blacktop 20v Check Engine Light

have you checked error codes?
    milk and juice come in 2L, The cheapest wines come in 5L, the finest vodka comes in 1L

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic KARNAGE's Avatar

we had the exact same thing happen with my black top when i first got it put in my ae86 we couldnt find out what the hell it was it eventual stopped doing it after bout 3 weeks.

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

this also happens in my ae111 bz-r. But it doesnt affect performance (except in first 5 min of warm up driving it has sloppy accel). I think it may be an oxy sensor ? But i havernt worked out the problem. Minealways comes on under heavy acceleration

That's me before i was a Conversion King -GT-'s Avatar

Again, anybody checked codes? Sounds like a couple of different issues here, random idle climbing is one thing, your check engine light coming on under heavy acceleration makes me think it's pinging; you've got a pretty high compression factory engine run by an ecu tuned for 100RON fuel - i hope you're running the best fuel you can find for it all the time, but these will still be a bit sensitive to knock even then. It'll only come on after 2 separate events in the one trip i think (ie won't light up from just one time crossing the threshold), so it's possibly pinging a bit.

Just noticed you said it 'always' comes on - i'd be getting it dyno'd and checked. And run octane booster until it is.
    AE93 SX 20V - Next Wakefield track day is 13th of November 2015!
    1:15.47 at Wakefield Park | 1:59.45 at Eastern Creek GP | 1:08.81 at SMP South | 2:04.77 at Phillip Island
    Toymods Club Member

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic KARNAGE's Avatar

definately what gt said when i had my blacktop i had it running with a link plus, and even with 98ron it would come up pinging every now and then, i add a fuel additive to every couple of tanks and it was running fine, but i would hate to see what it would do with 95 or lower, the ethanol i have heard is pretty good for the high comp engines

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia

weird, never heard of that one before
    checking the codes is the first thing anyone should do when a CEL comes on....

they will run fin on 95, just need to drop the base timing a little, i ran my silvertop at 8 base on 95 for years. thats with stock ecu. with my SARD one it was running 12 on 95 with no problems! biggest single let down with the silver tops is the stock tune, its rubbish!
    the black tops have a much better tune, thats where they get there edge over the silver top from

if you have an issue with pinking in your black top on 95, just drop the base timing a coupla degrees. 98-100 should be fine. dont forget you need to bridge terminals to do timing!
    I DONT WORK FOR TOYOTA ANYMORE
    please, no more PMs!

Thanks for the info guys

I did check the codes but nothing showed up. Its not always coming on, sort of only when you rev it up. say eg. 1st gear 3/4 throttle to 2nd, then 3/4 throttle to third (then light would come on for a few seconds and sometimes about 5-6 seconds). Currently Im always running 98 octane. I'll give octane booster a go. I heard blacktops have a pretty average factory tune as well?

Also I thought it may be the cheap compliance cat,it might be causing some problems. Also, does noisy squeeky suspension mean the bushes needs replacing or lubing?

Also if my engine is pinging, would that mean it affect my performance, cause at the moment it doesnt seem to affect performance when the light is on (there is stil alot of torque)

thnx in advance

That's me before i was a Conversion King -GT-'s Avatar

The light goes off again?? Doesn't sound right - when you checked for codes was it before turning the engine off when it's happened? It should store codes until they're read and/or cleared, but some minor stuff i think will not be stored unless it happens a few times.

If the light comes on it should give codes prior to switching off no matter what - carry a 'bridging tool' (ie paperclip) and check it next time it comes on.
    AE93 SX 20V - Next Wakefield track day is 13th of November 2015!
    1:15.47 at Wakefield Park | 1:59.45 at Eastern Creek GP | 1:08.81 at SMP South | 2:04.77 at Phillip Island
    Toymods Club Member

some things will not store a code, but will show the lamp
    for example if you unplug your speedo cable, once you hit a certain speed the CEL will come on, but go out again and wont store a code
    please, no more PMs!

yeah, i even got my mechanic/engineer friend to check but he said its fine. I'll try octane booster and see what effect it has

i doubt it will have any effect
    the 2.5 revving (is it idle?) suggests maybe an ICV issue
    please, no more PMs!

it iddles fine. Im not sure what it is still.. although it still pulls very hard when the light is on, eg. it will still red line 3rd 4th gear without any problem. It seems like the octane booster is helping a little. I think i need to use some more and let it run through to let it adjust to higher octane.

I though maybe its just a dodgy oxy sensor, i might also change my cat and see if thats the problems. =] thnx 4 the info guys

ok, let me get this straight
    randomly your car will rev to 2.5k
    as in the engine revs will surge up and down to 2.5k? or rev up and hold at 2.5k?
    does it do it when cold? fully warm? or some where in between?

octane booster is not going to help you. it will be fine on 98. if you are getting some pinking, knock the timing back a coupla degrees like i mentioned above.

try bridging the diagnostic terminals and taking it for a drive to see if it will flash codes

and squaky suspension is usually meaning you need to replace things. is is superstrut?
    could be a bush, or a ball joint
    please, no more PMs!

yes it is superstrut.

As for the light, it only comes on at low revs (ie approx 2-3k rpm) when its cold. Once its warm, it comes on only as higher revs under more rapid acceleration. Does this make sense?

Sorry I havernt explained well. I will try the bridging diog. while i drive when I have more time =)

thanks