Thread: KE20 Front drum to disc conversion guide

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Post KE20 Front drum to disc conversion guide

hey
    Ive recently swapped the ye olde/stuffed FRONT drums on my KE26 panelvan, over to some KE30 discs.

This is how to do it:

you will need-KE30 brake discs X2

-KE30 calipers X2 (pads of course)
    -brake lines attached to said calipers
    -KE30 dust/backing plates X2
    -KE20 wheel hubs X2 THESE ARE THE HARDEST ITEMS TO FIND!!!!!

-wheel bearings, pins, etc etc from KE30 brake setup
    -brake fluid
    -sandpaper (fine)
    prepare by sanding back any surface rust on the discs, and just generally clean up the brake parts. Mine were pretty nasty after sitting on a wreck for awhile

okay now it helps there is no brake fluid in the cylinder first of all, you'll avoid spills etc.
    Firstly you undo the old drum brakeline from the highest connection, above the wheel hub setup.
    Then remove the front of the drum. Inside of a drum brake looks like this:

Then undo the 4 bolts surrounding the greased axle.
    Pull the rest of the drum assembly off, and remove the brakelines (should still be connected to drum though)
    You will end up with a bare axle like this:

Now remove the old KE30 wheel hub from the disc rotor. The reason you need to do this is because the KE30 has a different stud pattern than the 20's. You dont want to be stuck with different stud patterns on the front and rear. Unless your willing to change the diff and axle to suit.
    Now these KE20 wheel hubs were incredibly hard to find. I searched most wreckers on Brisbane's northside to find these puppies, eventually ripping them off a KE25 coupe which I'd overlooked as it had been totally stripped down.

Bolt the KE20 hubs to the discs, making sure they go on the correct way!
    Next attach the KE30 backing plates to the bare wheel axle, using the bolts nicked from the 30. Next attach the disc and hub assembly onto the axle like this-

Then it might be a good idea to repack the wheel bearings, then put those on, along with the end nut and pin. More grease is better.
    Okay then slide the caliper into position over the rotor, it bolts onto the backing plate.
    Note: the KE30 brake lines should be still attached to the caliper. Thread them through their little hole attached to the shockie, then tighten it up to the little top solid line

The finished disc brake conversion should go from this:

To this:

bling bling brakes!

Make sure to bleed all four brakes corectly, starting from furtherest wheel away from master cylinder.

ATTENTION! For those poor souls stuck with 12 inch stock wheels, they will NOT fit over this conversion! The backing plate is about 10mm too wide in diameter. You will have to either remove 10mm from the edge of the backing plate, OR do what I did and buy some 13 inch Enkei's

its a pretty easy conversion, should take about half a day if you have all the parts.
    finding the parts is the tricky bit, but its worth it.

Okay, hope this helps out a fellow KE2X owner!
    cheers, Lawrence

Junior Member Too Much Toyota oldcorollas's Avatar

Default Re: KE20 Front drum to disc conversion guide

this should be moved to FAQ, nice write up
    "I'm a Teaspoon, not a mechanic"
    "There is hardly anything in the world that a man can not make a little worse and sell a little cheaper" - John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

AU$TRALIA... come and stay and PAY and PAY!!! The moral high horse of the world!