Thread: which flywheel

Junior Member Grease Monkey rob20v's Avatar

Default which flywheel

I am in the market to buy a lightened flywheel for my 20v which is running a GZE lsd transaxle. Can anyone please advise me on where to buy and what type to get. Billet steel or alloy and what size do I need to run with a GZE gearbox and am I going to have any fitment issues. It must also have the standard clutch fitting as I am running a TRD paddle clutch at present and wish to keep this.
    Any help appreciated. Rob.

Chookhouse Chooning Automotive Encyclopaedia Hen's Avatar

Default Re: which flywheel

If you want to keep your clutch plate then you need a flywheel the same diameter as your current one (probably 212mm). Fitment with the ZE box shouldn't be an issue.

I'd recommend a billet steel number. The one I've seen (from Alloy race components in Melbourne, distributed through Meridian motorsport) looks really nice quality and weighed in at 3.7kg. The Xtreme alloy one looks good too, but has a friction surface screwed on (more parts to loosen/break) and weighed a little over 4kg from memory.

$660 sticks in my mind as recommended retail for the steel flys

Toymods Club Member #274 Backyard Mechanic Rallystanza's Avatar

Sounds like your running FWD (FWD is bad mkay), so your GZE box should have the GZE flywheel which is either 224 or 232?mm from memeory...

I have an Extreme 212mm alloy flywheel, turned out of a big single piece of alluminium, with as Hen mentioned, has the bolt/screw on friction surface which is required when running and alloy flywheel...IMHO an alloy/alluminium is preferred for me as you have a lightened flywheel without the mass amount of material removed from the flywheel often associated with a billet/steel lightened flywheel.

So you need to work out what size flywheel you have and then if you want alloy or steel lightened.

Then call somewhere like Meridian Motorsport.

Jeremy

Gary Motorsport Inc. Too Much Toyota takai's Avatar

Another one is a Fidanza flywheel (which im pretty sure Extreme rebadge) which will weigh in at about 3.3kg. This is what im running in the AE86, and it has a wicked throttle response.
    The problem with this setup is that the GZE box which you will be using has an E-series spline, which im fairly sure is different to the C-spline which the standard friction plate is.

If that doesnt bother you, then go for either the Fidanza or the Alloy Race Components one.

One thing to note when you have a lighter flywheel is that it will be harder to move off at the lights under low load, and also will be worse on partial throttles up hills.
    -Chris | Garage takai - Breaking cars since 1998
    Sparky - AE86 IPRA Racer | RZN149 Hilux - Parts and Car Hauler
    I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

Junior Member Grease Monkey rob20v's Avatar

Thanks for the help. I only run the car off road in autocross and khanacross so part throttle is not a real problem. So far everyone has only confirmed the direction I was already heading but its great to get second opinions. Looks like I wil be heading to Merridian Motorsports or Alloy Race components in the near future. Thanks Rob.

Estranged Member Chief Engine Builder mullett's Avatar

Yeah, if you're running a GZE flywheel now, you'll need to get a GZE flywheel, etc. There's a really good site here: http://www.twosrus.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=21_27 for lightweight flywheels and other MR2 related stuff...

RM.