Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New sticky idea...

Opinionated Arsehole Backyard Mechanic

Default Re: New sticky idea...

Edited post!
    Last edited by 4DaDrift; 14-08-2009 at 04:20 AM.

corollamanic Backyard Mechanic

why not put something in your sig then about "beyondblue" or something like

"PM me if you want to chat about anything."

-/dave

Forum Sponsor Conversion King

call lifeline, they care
    Quote Originally Posted by WHITCHY
    Prefer someone around the Sydney area but will travel a few hours for a good box!

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic ONCE-NA's Avatar

Group hug at the next meet up!

I make people cry Chief Engine Builder Draven's Avatar

As stated dude, the superior ideas tend to be outside toymods. re: your pm, I do know what you're trying to achieve, I just really think this isn't necessarily the right place.

I really do think toymods has a great car-club community, but there are a bunch of problems. To name just a few:

1. pop-psychologists: people who put forward their "informed" opinions as professional fact, possibly leading people in the wrong direction

2. Dickheads (already mentioned)

3. False expectations

4. Poor medium (let's face it, internet chat will never let people know how serious they are about a topic, or carry the emotional valence)

So yeah. I think people are better off having a look at any of the multitude of resources out there, and people who can point people in the right direction. I know I've received PMs from people just asking for a direction to look in and a little help.
    http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/showthread.php?t=7465
    Quote Originally Posted by xero View Post
    and of course campbell newman's completely fucking everything he touches so badly that he should be called dick fingers.

I <3 Vito Conversion King RiceburnaGTV's Avatar

At the end of the day,I just wouldnt feel comfortable speaking about my trials and tribulations on here to that extent.. I just dont feel its the place to do it and if anything I come to toymods for a pick me up,not to have a cry.

I feel I get and have gotten great support from the toymods community and have had many well wishes and phone calls to check up on me when I have made it publically known that I got burnt and nearly died,blew my thumb off and nearly died,lost my licence and turnd my life upside down,did the ligaments in my knee and lost all mobility, and lost a loved one to cancer last year.. I didnt need to create a thread on the subject each time but in passing conversation on here or over PM the information was shared and I have had a bunch of good people offer their support.. I really couldnt ask for any more from my friends or the Toymods community in this regard.

Just my thoughts,

Cheers
    Nath
    -Just Alloy Radiators-
    www.alloyradiators.com.au

advocate for the oldies Carport Converter ian's Avatar

i think that its a good idea
    as the toymods community is so vast , there will always be some one who has gone through what you are feeling , and may offer good advice , also from my observation ,you cant help but notice how toymods rally around and offer support where they can
    this is the very spirit that makes these forums work
    ian
    nostalgia is not what it used to be:

Toymods Board Member Chief Engine Builder Hiro's Avatar

*joining the "well-meaning but wrong place" train

A mental health thread would be like communism. Works in theory, but in real life quickly falls apart due to the work of a few who think they are bigger or better than the rest.
    AE102 - Charlene the Old Faithful, Reborn
    JZZ30 - Lexi the Spacecruiser, 1JZGTE>>3SGE. 200rwkw, hunting Skylines and n00bs in SS Commodores
    ST162 - Charlie the non-ghey Celica, 3SGE>>4AGE. GOOOOOOOONE
    AE82 - Rosie the Bitsa from Hell, 70.8kw atw. Has been converted into garage space and money at last
    KE55 - Billie the Beast, sadly missed

Junior Member Carport Converter Z2TT's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by oldcorollas
    see.. that kind of advice to someone who is considering suicide will have the opposite effect than you intend....
    Which is the point I'm trying to make, people who have trouble sorting out their issues should goto psychiatrists and counsellors, rather than ask for advice on a forum where you will get many different opinions, and some people may like to take the piss out of you because it makes them feel good.

Junior Member Too Much Toyota oldcorollas's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Z2TT
    Which is the point I'm trying to make, people who have trouble sorting out their issues should goto psychiatrists and counsellors, rather than ask for advice on a forum where you will get many different opinions, and some people may like to take the piss out of you because it makes them feel good.
    but you wrote
    Quote Originally Posted by Z2TT
    Good Idea but it wont work out, I find that the best way to fix something that is bothering you is to do what you think is best, instead of what others think.
    for someone that really is suicidal, what they think is best is to take their own life. what others think is that they shouldn't.

"do what you think is best" works fine for car things (or not.. for some people ) but for suicide, that is the whole problem in the first place!!!
    "I'm a Teaspoon, not a mechanic"
    "There is hardly anything in the world that a man can not make a little worse and sell a little cheaper" - John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

AU$TRALIA... come and stay and PAY and PAY!!! The moral high horse of the world!

Edited post!
    Last edited by 4DaDrift; 14-08-2009 at 04:18 AM.

Toymods Board Member Domestic Engineer Kirsty2520's Avatar

Sorry to dig an old thread up BUT
    If you search for depression forums you will find just about all you need and full sites and forums of people going through the same thing.
    I have suffered with Depression for over 6 years now and when I need support for something in particular that I feel no-one else can help me with, that is where I go.
    I'm just not sure that a car Club is the right place for it for the reasons that Dr Greg and others have put forward.
    RIP Nathan Dean. You Will be Missed.
    Life is like Chocolate..... without the bitter, the sweet means nothing.
    Fact of life...After Monday & Tuesday, even the calendar says W T F !!
    Never allow someone to be your priority while you are just their option

Edited post.
    Last edited by 4DaDrift; 07-08-2009 at 03:54 AM.

Junior Member Too Much Toyota RONA's Avatar

The issue with it being on a public forum is that regardless of the issue at hand some people who have little respect for the issue at hand would jump in & post stupid comments & mock the issue at hand.

It'd be a moderating nightmare & you may find people wouldn't be that forward in revealing issues due the worry of being judged by others on a public forum.

Mental health is a very serious issue & needs to be treated by trained professionals. Everyone suffers for different reasons & without fully understanding the issues at hand advice may be given with the best intentions that does far more harm then good.

IMHO mental health is something that really only family & close friends can help someone get through. They know the person better then anyone else and will hopefully be able to tell when 'they aren't themselves'. The stigma attached to mental health in this or any developed country for that matter is something that definately needs to change. It's very hard to get someone to open up and admit that they are having problems because they are scared of being judged.
    Last edited by RONA; 22-07-2009 at 10:24 PM.
    If in doubt power out

I make people cry Chief Engine Builder Draven's Avatar

just look at 4chan to see how badly it can go when people open up about mental illness.
    http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/showthread.php?t=7465
    Quote Originally Posted by xero View Post
    and of course campbell newman's completely fucking everything he touches so badly that he should be called dick fingers.