Page 5 of 34 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: No pistons, no fuel, no worries! Toyota Sera EV Conversion begins…

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic greywolf's Avatar

Default Re: No pistons, no fuel, no worries! Toyota Sera EV Conversion begins…

2nd that, nothing like following in the footsteps of a trailblazer...easier on the legs !

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia SillyCarS's Avatar

yeah +1

subscribed

What's the life of the batteries rated at ? How long before they start dropping off on efficiency, and how long before they need replacing ?

80's Style'n Backyard Mechanic VA61DETT's Avatar

Have been busy this week taking measurements of the gearbox housing,
    Its a shit of a thing to figure out.
    None of the bolts appear to have any relationship to any other bolt, nor the centre point!

Anybody have tips on making accurate measurements of the spline centre pls let me know.
    I rekon I have the accuracy down to about +-0.2mm on all the bolt holes.
    But centre point is a mystery!

Here's the actual vehicle specs prior to removing the engine:
    odo :237762km
    weight :917kg (1/2 tank fuel no ppl)
    Driver/passenger during test runs:140Kg
    Average time over 2 runs (up and down the same bit of road)
    0-60 :6.45 sec
    0-100 :13.45 sec
    60-100 :7.0 sec (3rd I think)

-greywolf
    I believe the batteries are rated to 2000cycles @ 80% discharge,
    at that point the effective capacity will have dropped to 50%
    Which should still provide a usable range, so that's over 5 years of driving every day.
    Providing they are kept cool & not over discharged.

Time will tell!
    -A

Use inside calipers, or an inside micrometer. Inside micrometer will be too big, so inside calipers I'd say.

5 years is a good whack of use. I know you posted the cost of batteries previously, but I'm running out the door and haven't got time to find what you paid for them. Hopefully the price + technology improvements will bring cost down/efficiency up ! Factoring in no cost change, have you calculated maintenence costs for 5 years on current engine vs battery replacement costs ?

30/03/2009

Adapter plate fabrication 101

Started work on the motor adapter plate on Saturday, it was surprising easy to cut out the shape with a fairly course band saw blade & a bit of patience.

The most critical measurement is the centre point of the drive shaft.
    After much deliberation & measurements we came up with a novel idea on how to accurately locate the centre point.

Basically we machined up several centre point locaters to precisely fit into 2 of the gearbox mounting holes & one to cap onto the drive splines.

As so:

A 3mm piece of ally was then pressed hard up against the pins, providing the centre marks, making it easy to take accurate measurements.
    The points were transferred onto the slab of aluminium with a high degree of accuracy.
    After double checking, we then drilled out the 2 main (doweled) bolt holes.

Checked the alignment once again, spot on.

So onto the critical part, the centre hole…
    The motor has a nice centre locating ring which is exactly 3&1/4” diameter, in order to bore out the adapter accurately I borrowed a precision hole cutter for a mate.

Precision hole cutter:

This tool is intended for cutting 2-3mm thick metal & was not built to be bored into a 20mm thick bit of ally.
    So we used a 3&1/8” hole saw to help out on the chunky stuff…

Non-precision hole cutter:

The locating step on the motor is only 3.04mm, so we used the precision cuter to bore out the first 4mm & then cut the rest with the hole saw.
    Quite a bit of time went into measuring & double checking the diameter of the locating hole, as once this was cut, there was no going back!

After making a huge mess of shavings and coolant, we had successfully made an accurate hole at the centre point. We then marked and drilled the remaining less-critical holes…
    Looking good:

Test mounting to the motor:

I still need to make up a new dowel for the second locating bolt hole, but it all fits together quite well.

Joined!

Clearance is spot on for the 2 shafts:

Next, flywheel adapter & lightening …

Junior Member Carport Converter Billzilla's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by VA61DETT
    Joined!

Fark, the motor is bigger than I though!
    www.billzilla.org
    Toymods founding member #3

I definitely ain't a Chief Engine Builder wagonist's Avatar

Is that keyway going to be enough to drive a flywheel & clutch?
    Or are you going to do some modification to that?
    I mean keyways getted flogged out just trying to drive a crank pulley.

I definitely ain't a Chief Engine Builder wagonist's Avatar

How big is the output shaft from the motor?

If one keyway isn't enough, it may be possible to get an extra 1 or 2 machined into it. I wouldn't go an extra 3 because they probably won't be enough material between them.

I hope it holds up!

The keyed shaft is 1.250"
    Almost all of them come out in that fashion, so it should be up to the task.
    I will have to get some one to cut a keyway in my flywheel adapter though, cant justify buying the tool for 2 uses....

-greywolf
    I did a quick cost analysis for an 8 year life cycle, worked out quite a bit cheaper, given fuel was to stay @ $1.5 / L.
    Maintenance is virtually zero, G/B oil every 80K, maybe the odd CV....
    Batteries, a little over 11K (including charge controller kit). :|

-A

How many km's a year is your cost analysis based on ? Is this car going to be strictly commuter ? I'm assuming with the 150km range you aren't planning family holidays i.e. long trips ?

Nice job on that adaptor plate by the way !

Toymods Board Member Chief Engine Builder Hiro's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by greywolf
    How many km's a year is your cost analysis based on ? Is this car going to be strictly commuter ? I'm assuming with the 150km range you aren't planning family holidays i.e. long trips ?

Nice job on that adaptor plate by the way !
    Family holiday in a Sera? That's good for a laugh, even without an electric motor....
    AE102 - Charlene the Old Faithful, Reborn
    JZZ30 - Lexi the Spacecruiser, 1JZGTE>>3SGE. 200rwkw, hunting Skylines and n00bs in SS Commodores
    ST162 - Charlie the non-ghey Celica, 3SGE>>4AGE. GOOOOOOOONE
    AE82 - Rosie the Bitsa from Hell, 70.8kw atw. Has been converted into garage space and money at last
    KE55 - Billie the Beast, sadly missed

I wouldn't trust a... Conversion King Smokey228's Avatar

Do you have to run the batteries quite low between charges? That works out quite cost effective either way.

On my quick numbers, i'd only do about 300kms a week going to and from work, with odd trips in between. So it'd save me about 6k after 8 years...

Cheers,
    Jase
    JZA023
    11.51 @ 126MPH | 430RWHP @ 21PSI

Quote Originally Posted by YLD-16L
    Cuzzo is such a premature ejaculator he fertilised the very egg that he grew from

Your mum is a Conversion King TERRA Operative's Avatar

Those motor bolts high tensile? Don't want them to break....