Page 3 of 34 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: No pistons, no fuel, no worries! Toyota Sera EV Conversion begins…

I am not yet a Grease Monkey RA23's Avatar

Default Re: No pistons, no fuel, no worries! Toyota Sera EV Conversion begins…

This is brilliant! I have always been interested in EV's and I think the technology is ready now.
    If I ever have time, I would convert an old Celica .....
    This will never happen though. Rep for you for just doing it!

Have you considered wheel motors - so you can shed some extra weight (gbox/driveshafts)?
    Are brushless motors really much more expensive?

Edwin
    Projects: No project cars left ...

User Conversion King

great work.

cant wait to see this project progress.

what are the legalities with registering it? is the registration concessional if its fully electric?
    hello

Captain Red Grease Monkey SuperDave's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by VA61DETT
    Currently no plans for regen, going to just get it up and running, see how battery life goes.
    From talking to a few ppl, the regen controllers and the added cost / complexity make it hard to justify the gains.
    I know nothing about the system the Prius uses, but is it not possible to grab the regen system off of one? Wiki informs me it's an AC system with Ni-MH batteries, so not sure if that'll cause issues with your Li-ion batteries.
    My Sled, My Videos
    Quote Originally Posted by MR22ZZ
    The tow goes above the tow hook

Junior Member Carport Converter OnAll-FOUR's Avatar

You certainly have bought all the good stuff I have been dreaming of doing exactly what you have done except I was going to use my old KE70

Lithiums + Warp 9 + Zilla controller should produce some massive torque

What are you going to use for your charge controllers on the lithiums? They don't take well to too much abuse
    Ben #400 - My Ride Thread - Now with CT20b -
    1990 ST185 JDM, 103.0kws July 06 --> 155.9kws Feb 2010
    WSID: [email protected] (Weak ) : Wakefield 1:16.1 Racechrono
    Pics - http://photobucket.com Vids - http://www.youtube.com

I definitely ain't a Chief Engine Builder wagonist's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by VA61DETT
    My look at keeping a little generator in the boot (while determining actual range)
    would be a pain in the ass having to wait for it to charge by the road though :|
    I wonder what the RAC guy would say if I called for a tow.....
    I also have a small vaccy pump + tank for the brake system, has its own pressure switch and reg, so no worries with them, its also a legal requirement for licensing.
    Maybe look into a generator that can provide more than 40kW, that way instead of waiting for it to charge the batteries, you could actually limp home on that running the motor directly.
    That would make it a hybrid
    Also have to vent the exhaust fumes of the generator out of the cabin too (maybe find room under the bonnet )

Vacuum pump to supply brake boost wouldn't need to be that big.

How are the dashboard vent controls controlled? Some cars are vacuum operated (off engine vacuum) while others are electric.

80's Style'n Backyard Mechanic VA61DETT's Avatar

21/03/2009

After a morning of grovelling around & getting greasy the 5E is out!

Before

After

5E Hekticness!

Have also unboxed the Impulse9 & started to make a few initial measurements of gearbox spacing etc…

The adapter plate needs to be 19.5mm thick, I conveniently have a nice chunk of 20mm plate floating around

Will be getting onto that next week,
    I also need to source a new button clutch & pressure plate, as the old one is completely shagged.
    Apparently the torque output will fry the stock clutches on most small cars!

-RA23
    Wheel motors would be nice, again but way to $$$, I don’t even know where you could buy ones suitable for a car.
    The problem with brushless / 3 phase motors is the controller is at least 3 times more complicated, having to drive variable frequency synthesized sine waves into 3 sets of winding that must be correctly synced to the motor position, etc etc…

-Brett
    There is a DPI paper covering the licence requirements for leccy conversions, basically they need to have all the functionality of the original car, such as vaccy brakes / power steering, have a bunch of warning stickers, emergency battery diss-connect button & firmly secured batteries.

-SuperDave
    Would love to have a look at a prius motor & controller close up, however they are a custom brushless motor & super complicated, I don’t think the factory manual even covers the controller.
    A pranged up one would be fantastic for parts though!

-OnAll-Four
    Would have liked a Warp9, but was about 20mm to long for the engine bay, so have to settle for sub light speed
    The Lithium batteries came as a package, with an intelligent charger & individual cell balancing modules.

-Wagonist
    I have a small 12V pump & reservoir for vac stuff, I am not sure if the sera needs vacuum for the vent switches, but easy enough to tap off the brake system if need be.
    Unfortunately a 40Kw generator would be freekn huge and a little impractical to cart around ;p

-A

Junior Member Too Much Toyota oldcorollas's Avatar

considered getting a CVT gearbox?
    "I'm a Teaspoon, not a mechanic"
    "There is hardly anything in the world that a man can not make a little worse and sell a little cheaper" - John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

AU$TRALIA... come and stay and PAY and PAY!!! The moral high horse of the world!

Junior Member Carport Converter Billzilla's Avatar

I can't see the need for a gearbox at all ...?
    Electric motors make great torque from zero revs, and if coupled directly to the wheels (via the half-shafts) then it should be more than capable of spinning fast enough to do highway revs.
    Last edited by Billzilla; 23-03-2009 at 09:20 PM.
    www.billzilla.org
    Toymods founding member #3

Junior Member Too Much Toyota oldcorollas's Avatar

even more acceleration from low revs
    plus is easy to connect in standard car without having to support the shafts somehow or provide a diff to allow differnt wheel speeds etc. etc..
    "I'm a Teaspoon, not a mechanic"
    "There is hardly anything in the world that a man can not make a little worse and sell a little cheaper" - John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

AU$TRALIA... come and stay and PAY and PAY!!! The moral high horse of the world!

Hopefully soon a 5S-GTE Chief Engine Builder MWP's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Billzilla
    I can't see the need for a gearbox at all ...?
    While it probably doesnt need one to work, having one can decrease power useage (ie, they are most efficient spinning at a certain RPM with a certain load).

Your mum is a Conversion King TERRA Operative's Avatar

I second a CVT, in full auto mode with none of that ghey 'we're artificially making it feel like you're shifting gears'

As long as the CVT can handle the torque though......

Some guys I used to know in Darwin make those push bikes with the brushless motor in the front wheel. They stuck a bid one in a mini with the back seat replaced with lead acid batteries. The car could pull 90Kph at top speed, and get there at a reasonable pace.

I had visions of a twin motor 'Akira' style bike with intelligent torque transfer, regen braking, Li-po batteries etc (the motor controllers have regen capabilities built in).
    i should get back in contact......
    Last edited by TERRA Operative; 24-03-2009 at 07:32 AM.

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic greywolf's Avatar

Intelligent Torque transfer ? Sci-Fi or fact ? Sounds like something I would be very interested in, got an outlandish project in mind that would need it.

Captain Red Grease Monkey SuperDave's Avatar

I think we're starting to help him spend more money
    I suspect getting it running to see whats what is required before changing transmissions.
    My Sled, My Videos
    Quote Originally Posted by MR22ZZ
    The tow goes above the tow hook

Long Time Reader Backyard Mechanic willwal98's Avatar

This is almost a cool project. You just need another 3 x dc motors
    Hello.

Junior Member Carport Converter OnAll-FOUR's Avatar

Im not sure if you have found the EV Album or not but in case you need some more inspiration I thought I should post it up and for those that are interested. There are quite a few registered in NSW, and the build log for the echo in QLD is really good. It explains all his submission to the RTA equivalent for approval to get the car on the road

http://www.evalbum.com/

And the best EV around has to be the white zombie

Best lithium ion powered ET 11.466 @ 114.08 mph!
    World's 2nd Quickest & Fastest
    'Street Legal Electric Door Slammer'
    (in the standing start NHRA timed 1/4 mile, per NEDRA)
    1.58 sec. 60 ft. time, 0-60 in ~ 2.9 seconds, 1/8 mile ET 7.2 @ 94.5 mph!
    Ben #400 - My Ride Thread - Now with CT20b -
    1990 ST185 JDM, 103.0kws July 06 --> 155.9kws Feb 2010
    WSID: [email protected] (Weak ) : Wakefield 1:16.1 Racechrono
    Pics - http://photobucket.com Vids - http://www.youtube.com