Page 11 of 34 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: No pistons, no fuel, no worries! Toyota Sera EV Conversion begins…

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic greywolf's Avatar

Default Re: No pistons, no fuel, no worries! Toyota Sera EV Conversion begins…

Ohhhhh snap ! *Literally*

At least you didn't have to put it into the shop !

80's Style'n Backyard Mechanic VA61DETT's Avatar

Yer man, Do it myself, the right way!

(i hope)

-A

Well if you haven't at least you'll know sooner rather than later *not quite sure why that would be a comfort *

Allrighty,

Well there’s yer problem….

Finally got the gearbox all cleared up now, all new gear set & clutch = all good!

Currently waiting on a new CO2 cylinder as have had it with the gasless wire…

The battery box has been coming along well, fans are installed, spacer bars & retainer brackets are more-or less complete. A few more bits & I should be able to paint it up, ready for installation!
    Fans Installed in base

Attaching fans

Battery spacer bars

The spacer bars are notched out at regular intervals to provide additional airflow around the base of the box, as well as support the cells over the fan holes.

Additional to this is a set of angle frame components which bolt on-top of the cells with rubber seal material which keeps everything nice and secure. (pics coming soon)

-A

Your mum is a Conversion King TERRA Operative's Avatar

Slightly OT, Where did you get your gearsets and how did you order them? Did you head to Toyota armed with a long list of part numbers?

-Terra operative,

Nah,was kindof off-topic, that was one of the rooted cogs out of my mazda UTE which shat itself & caused much profanities and delays....

-A

Your mum is a Conversion King TERRA Operative's Avatar

I was the one OT , I'm going to be rebuilding my gearbox soon. I'm just casing out where to get parts easiest.

Also interested if you obtained the gear sets through the manufacturer or aftermarket sources

Righty O,

I did some ringing around and found my local gearbox shop in midland had a bunch of LOW k's import boxes which came out of ford vans.
    The guy I spoke with was quite helpful, so I ended up bringing down my stuffed bits to make sure they were compatible (2 different models 28 / 24 spines).
    I was fortunate as the particular 4wd box I have was worth about 2K from a wrecker or about $1700 as an exchange repair jobby.
    They helped me remove the ‘welded on’ gear set from the main shaft & gave me the rundown on how to replace the gears, was pretty much a case of pulling all the gears off my box, drop kicking them, & putting on all the ‘new’ gears / bearings onto my main shaft (as the 4wd versions had a shorter shaft with a coupling for the transfer case).

Had quite a but of fun pulling everything off & getting it back together (without a service manual), took about 200 photos of every little bit going off and back on.
    But in the end it worked out at about 1/3 the price of a refurb box, works like a charm now.
    Quite pleased as it was my first ever gearbox rebuild

That's quite impressive dude, the way you were talking about it sounded like this was all old hat to you !

Righty,

1 small step forward…

Completed the ACC drive / Mount plate!
    The A/C and power steering are both running off a single belt, with tension provided by the lower P/S pump bracket.
    Everything is in more-or-less the same place, so no need to make up new hoses.

Coming together nicely!

Just need to install the main pulley & pickup a suitable size belt, should probably replace / make solid engine mounts too…. maybe later.

-A

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic Jaemus's Avatar

stunning! looking forward to more
    1992 MR2 GT turbo
    2009 Lexus IS-F

Built Australia's first V6 MR2 >> Winner: "I'd Drive It" award - Toyfest '07

Hopefully soon a 5S-GTE Chief Engine Builder MWP's Avatar

Hmmm... so when your at a stand-still or moving slowly the powersteering wont work?
    If thats the case, it would be easier to run without it.

Quite a few people cap off the racks in EP82/91's (same rack as you would have) with no problems.

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia

Get a electric P/S pump , I know its been said but driving the A/C and P/S seems like a waste of energy or at least going in a circle with the P/S .
    Dave

Underpowered Backyard Mechanic Moppitt's Avatar

Although it would be worth thinking about the energy usage of any (electric) power steering pump.

What kind of drag is there on the p/s pump when not under load (wheels straight ahead and not being turned)?
    Feeling down? See: Beyondblue or for youth see: Headspace or call Lifeline on 13 11 14
    Finally, a members ride thread. I present project One Thing Lead to Another (nominations for a better name are now open)
    Quote Originally Posted by tomvale13 View Post
    Rabble, rabble rabble!!