Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Thermo fans and engine temps

jetpilot Automotive Encyclopaedia 1JZ.747's Avatar

Default Thermo fans and engine temps

HI all

i recently took off my hydrolic fan and went to a 16 inch thermo fan. mainly for the purposes of being able to run the fan whilst the car isnt running in the staging lanes to get rid off some heat.

at the recetn test and tune on a 37 deg day we had heat issues, with the microtech logging 104 deg engine temps after a pass and it didnt cool down on the return road like it used to with the hydrolic fan.

i have the thermo mounted on a aluminium shroud i had made up. the shrould covers the radiator completely, though we have drilled some 5 cm circumference holes on the outer edges for air flow when the car is moving.

basically i am wondering if any one had ideas on how to get this under control again as it greatly effects the performance of the car.

my idea is to put a pusher fan on it aswell.

your thoughts?

Shane
    8.3 et PB 169 MPH PB

Yep they look great Carport Converter gianttomato's Avatar

Default Re: Thermo fans and engine temps

Maybe fit 2 12" fans as this has slightly more drawing area than a solitary 16" fan. Can you fit those AU twin thermo units that the MA70 boys are running?
    What temperature is the thermo coming on? How many cores does your radiator have?

Would suggest a thermostat that opens at below 80 degrees and using a thermo switch that comes on at 85 and turns off at 80. I would scour the Tridon catalogue - it's fantastic.

Gary Motorsport Inc. Too Much Toyota takai's Avatar

What about the same setup as Southo is running. According to the DC site the twins should pump more air than the big single.
    -Chris | Garage takai - Breaking cars since 1998
    Sparky - AE86 IPRA Racer | RZN149 Hilux - Parts and Car Hauler
    I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

thermo is set to come on at 65 deg i believe via microtech.

radiator is a cressida item mx 83, i just had it cleaned by natrad.
    8.3 et PB 169 MPH PB

solitary 16 isnt too good. youll get better pull with twin 12s or 14 + 10. push fan would also assist

also what brand? there are SIGNIFICANTLY different cfm's across brands. davies craig are one of the better ones, but i cant remember the brand with the biggest numbers
    ../delete/ban
    tech moderator
    E46 M3 Nürburgring Nordschleife - 8.38

davies craig
    8.3 et PB 169 MPH PB

Yep they look great Carport Converter gianttomato's Avatar

Other than increasing the area of draw, the only other suggestion would be to improve your cooling system's ability to buffer the increase in temp - suggest a thicker radiator not only to increase cooling surface area but to also increase the capacity of the cooling system.

What temp does your thermostat open? Probably not much point having the thermo fans come on below the temperature the thermostat opens. Use a 72 degree thermostat (TRD ones are 72 degrees but prohibitively expensive - suggest the Tridon catalogue). Set the fan to come on at 75 or 80.

82 deg thermostat

i want something around 68 deg but cant find anything to suit a 1jzgte.
    8.3 et PB 169 MPH PB

Toymods V8 Member Too Much Toyota CrUZida's Avatar

Definately try to fit a set of AU thermos. (EL is very similar, and I can't see BA not being close).

They are a perfect fit for the MX73 radiator, so the X8 can't be too much different.

A single 16" would be struggling for sure.

All that said, no thermo will ever be as good as the hydraulic unit.
    Maybe put that back on AND put a pusher on there for when the car is off?
    Peewee
    1985 MZ12 Soarer - 1UZ Powered
    2013 86 GTS

regular fella Conversion King chris davey's Avatar

I have a single 14” thermo fan on my car in push arrangement rather than pull which I am told is worse and it is working fine so far. I have stock thermostat and jzx90 radiator which seems to be pretty similar to Cressida radiator as you would expect. It doesn’t cool it down instantly but it does come down in a minute or so.

I would go the lower temp thermostat to start with. Then if that doesn’t work add a push fan of some size. If that doesn’t work then bigger radiator.

Also, I would have thought that a Cressida would cool better than my corona because of the lack of room in my engine bay long ways.
    Quote Originally Posted by MR 1JZ View Post
    that interior is so jap...just looking at it makes me want to kill a whale
    QUICKEST 1JZ'S IN OZ

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic

"though we have drilled some 5 cm circumference holes on the outer edges for air flow when the car is moving."

May sound a bit silly, but you may be drawing air back in through those holes when the car is stationary or moving very slow. I'd tape them up and see if there is any difference.

Cheers

Junior Member Grease Monkey MacroP's Avatar

As mentioned by Cruzida, the Ford unit I reckon is a good choice and cheap too. Aftermarket is around $200-$250
    Here are my thermos next to my old busted MX83 radiator. Need minor trimming with a jigsaw and file. Very close fit.

AVGAS DRINKING Carport Converter 30psi 4agte's Avatar

Stupid question but the fan is wired the right way? i.e when it switches on the air is being forced/drawn the right way? if not switch the wires around.
    I use a 14 inch fan on a draw setup and have no probs.

Sucks to be a Domestic Engineer YelloRolla's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 30psi 4agte
    Stupid question but the fan is wired the right way? i.e when it switches on the air is being forced/drawn the right way? if not switch the wires around.
    I use a 14 inch fan on a draw setup and have no probs.
    No it is not a stupid question - indeed it happens often when people put aftermarket thermos in as a draw through set up, however it is not as simple as "reverse the wires". The davies craig fans have an arrow on them indicating which way the fan should run, the fans are easily reversed by undoing a grub screw and flipping them around so that are correctly oriented (although I assume that the car is in capable hands).

I find it very difficult to tell which way the fan is blowing by just placing my hand in front, so I like to use a smoke trail (cigarette works fine if you know someone unfortunate enough to smoke).
    YelloRolla's KE20 1/4mi = 11.32 @ 119mph @ 22psi on slicks
    12.44 @ 113 mph on 165 wide street tyres
    210rwkw - not bad for a smelly 3TGTE running pump fuel.

Mödërätör Automotive Encyclopaedia

As mentioned on the Cressida forum i'm using twin thermos from a 92 model Magna. They are actually a better fit than the Ford fans and aren't as thick either. They're a Nippon Denso item. Very quiet and move a good volume of air. They are also have a a metal shroud so they're easier to modify with brackets etc.
    Simon.

1991 Toyota Cressida (JZX83).
    1967 Morris Mini Deluxe (1330cc A+).