Thread: St162 3sgte motor swap

Forum Member

Default St162 3sgte motor swap

Hey everyone I'm new LOL I'm looking for start to finsh info on a 3sgte motor in to a st162 I also want to know wat motor will be eseyer to use my car runs a gen1 3sge will wireing be eseyer if I use a gen1 s3sgte? Yer well thanks for your time every one wat else do I need to swap motors?

Junior Member Carport Converter Dale's Avatar

Default Re: St162 3sgte motor swap

Yes wiring will be easiest with a gen1 3sgte. Almost plug and play.

Start to finish conversion = the same as a normal engine change in a 162 with the exceptions:

Use a flywheel from a camry (to accomodate starter being on the gearbox side)
    Use a gearbox from a camry/st184 celica (allows the starter to now sit on the gearbox side)
    Exhaust
    Mount the CV carrier from the 3sge to the 3sgte block - will require removing one of the inlet manifold braces
    Intercooler & piping
    I am the sun

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia

tho it may be easier to wire in the gen1 3sgte i wouldnt bother with one. try for at leat a gen2, then gen1's are underpowered and have horrible little cams. gen2 still has horrible cams and with the stock turbo and HG you can only run safely 14psi and even then the turbo will run outta puff over 5500rpm.

also i think then gen1 3sgte doesnt have oil squirters in the bores and their lil topmount water to air IC's are tiny too.

think you should be able to use the flywheel that comes with the gen2 3sgte with the st184 gearbox.

Forum Member

Ok thanks everyone cams will be replaced soon after motor is put in I want to keep the swap simple due to cost and the car is an everyday driver just want some more power for those trip though the hills I ride a nice bike so can't have a tone of cash tied up in a car to