Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: HSD coilover sleeve kits 45mm 48mm 51mm 55mm now available only $299

RA23 + 3SGE Beams Backyard Mechanic Major Clod's Avatar

Default Re: HSD coilover sleeve kits only $299

You will either need the T3 Swivel Hats to go with their camberplates (Swivel hats have thrust bearing so that when they sit up against camber plate, they can turn with the strut) or you'll need to make up some sort of spacer so that these HSD Upper Hats press against the spherical bearing in the camberplate instead of the camberplate itself (more stress on bearing, but will allow them to turn with the strut).
    1976 RA23 Celica - 3SGE Blacktop Beams Powered!
    1994 KZN130 Surf - Daily 3ltr Turbo Diesel Goodness!

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Ahh ok then, I might have to have a look around for some swivel hats or see if I can make something up. Thanks heaps for the info.

Forum Sponsor Automotive Encyclopaedia dori dori's Avatar

thanks for the tech info Clod.

We will also have 44mm and 55mm sleeve kits available late next week.

Cheers,

Dori dori - email sent

Also I forgot to ask, can anyone recommend a cheap KYB insert to use with this kit on ae86 struts??

umop apisdn Chief Engine Builder twentyEight's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CAT_SPEW
    Also I forgot to ask, can anyone recommend a cheap KYB insert to use with this kit on ae86 struts??
    http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/fo...ead.php?t=8359
    ([][][]II--LT--II[][][])

Green '77 RA28 Celica - VVTi V8 Goodness...

Thanks mate, I've already seen them and they seem to be cheaper than normal judging by that thread but I'm after bottom line cheap ones..
    Any ideas? Part numbers?

Estranged Member Chief Engine Builder mullett's Avatar

Don't skimp on shocks man...they're really, really important. If it comes to it, get king springs and good shocks rather than coilovers...or just save some coin up

-RM.

Yeh you've got a good point, but I just don't have the money to spend $300-$400 on shocks by themselves.. And I've got other things on the car that need doing which is why I'm trying to spend as little as possible.
    Can anyone recommend anything mid price range in an insert? I'll be getting 7kg springs.

For springs that heavy you're going to need decent shocks, you could probably get Konis for that 3-400, what prices have you been quoted on KYBs?

I doubt you'd get a shock much cheaper than $300/pair that would have enough control for 7kg springs, much cheaper than that and you're looking at basic commuter shocks designed for factory springs and ride height, you'll want a short-stroke shock, preferably with adjustment or failing that, valving to suit a hard spring. Otherwise you're going to have a major problem with control, the front end will bounce too much, causing instability, understeer and such forth. Have you considered an S13 coilover for the front end? It'll probably be cheaper to buy something 2nd hand and convert it to suit, or even better. If you're going to spend $400 on a coilover conversion kit, plus installation, shocks aren't really that expensive...what are you doing about the rear end?

-RM.

Quote Originally Posted by mullett
    For springs that heavy you're going to need decent shocks, you could probably get Konis for that 3-400, what prices have you been quoted on KYBs?

I doubt you'd get a shock much cheaper than $300/pair that would have enough control for 7kg springs, much cheaper than that and you're looking at basic commuter shocks designed for factory springs and ride height, you'll want a short-stroke shock, preferably with adjustment or failing that, valving to suit a hard spring. Otherwise you're going to have a major problem with control, the front end will bounce too much, causing instability, understeer and such forth. Have you considered an S13 coilover for the front end? It'll probably be cheaper to buy something 2nd hand and convert it to suit, or even better. If you're going to spend $400 on a coilover conversion kit, plus installation, shocks aren't really that expensive...what are you doing about the rear end?

-RM.

I haven't got any quotes on shocks yet because I don't know what models to get..?
    I'll be welding the sleeves myself aswell as installing them so the only costs I've got are for the parts really, and I'm not willing to do a s13 conversion either.
    For now I'll be leaving the rear as it is (excel g shocks with cut falcon springs)

So by what you're saying there are no real cheap options at all that will still be alright with my spring rate??

Crazy Chief Engine Builder 1JZ-Rolla's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CAT_SPEW
    So by what you're saying there are no real cheap options at all that will still be alright with my spring rate??

Correct

You can't go halfway with a suspension setup that stiff, gotta match your shocks to the application. Koni yellows as a minimum i'd expect, or a manufacturer that can build them to spec with valving to suit 7kg springs, otherwise expect to be disappointed with the result.
    AE71 Corolla 2 door window van - retired / JZA70 Supra - VVTi converted - sold

Mm ok then, what exact model of koni yellows should I be after? Or is their an equivelent in kyb?

Crazy Chief Engine Builder 1JZ-Rolla's Avatar

Depends if your struts are standard length or shortened...

Both Koni and KYB catalogues will have the AE86 listed. KYB AGX range "might" be stiff enough. At least the Konis can be rebuilt with heavier compression valving if you decide they are still too soft.
    AE71 Corolla 2 door window van - retired / JZA70 Supra - VVTi converted - sold

Agreed, I'd go the Koni shocks. What's made you go for such a stiff spring rate? Keep in mind that having such a mismatch front-rear is going to cause problems, what's the rate of the falcon springs?

-RM.

Unsure of the rate of the falcons really, the reason I've chosen a harder rate is because I'd much rather end up with something that's too stiff then too soft. That might sound a bit stupid but thats my reasoning..

I've got 7kg springs on the way, and I've found a 2nd hand pair of TRD yellow short stroke front dampers but I'm not sure what they are really worth..?? Anyone got an idea?