Thread: alternator + brushes help

jay zee zee thir tee Carport Converter HAVABEER's Avatar

Default alternator + brushes help

so i'm in the process of trying to replace the brushes in my 1986 hiace van. engine is the 3Y 2l automatic.

my troubles come in now that i have the alternator apart. i've pulled off the part that holds the brushes. but i can't get them to come out. they appeared to be soldered in on the back (green circle) to the fins. but holding my soldering iron on there does nothing.

those fins are also glued in on there. as you can see i've tried to pry it off.

any opinions on what i should be doing. am i going to have to go down to the nearest toyota place and order a whole new plastic bit that holds the brushes in. whats the point in them selling them if you have to replace the whole thing?

the brushes that i got are just a small block of metal (carbon i think actually) with a copper wire on the end of it with a spring.

any idea's?

As they say in the book, assembly is the reverse of dismantling, but slower cos you forgot where all the bits are

Junior Member Too Much Toyota oldcorollas's Avatar

Default Re: alternator + brushes help

the cooper braid attached the the copper/carbon brushes all act as realyl good heatsinks.
    you need a more powerful soldering iron

or take it to a sparky to swap them over (or buy a $5 high powered disposable iron)
    "I'm a Teaspoon, not a mechanic"
    "There is hardly anything in the world that a man can not make a little worse and sell a little cheaper" - John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

AU$TRALIA... come and stay and PAY and PAY!!! The moral high horse of the world!

My Missus is a Domestic Engineer BradW's Avatar

Default Re: alternator + brushes help

Clean the gunk off the solder too (the bits you circled). You will get better heat penetration from your soldering iron.
    Brad

Old Corollas never die...

My KE30
    Updated 15/7/2007............ yes, I need to pull my finger out.