Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: ca18de into ke55 will this engine do the job?

Estranged Member Chief Engine Builder mullett's Avatar

Default Re: ca18de into ke55 will this engine do the job?

No, you won't need a clutch at all That said, i STRONGLY recommend a manual gearbox. The sump shouldn't be a problem, you'll have to see if it interferes with the front Xmember...

-RM.

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

i would highly prefer a manual, but cuz overall im doing this car be myself i dont have to money or the brains to go buy a manual gearbox and ECU if i cant run the manual off the auto one.
    once i get this engine and gearbox in when i upgrade to the ca18det engine i will be using same mounts so what ever gearbox i use now will stay in for while.

there is a datsun 120y i have seen on youtube im hoping to get my car something like that power wise.

may i ask y you think go with a manual? funner to drive??

thanks heeeeps Dylan btw i apreciate this alot!

Blasphemist Chief Engine Builder Bananaman's Avatar

As far as i'm aware the auto ECU is fine, i was intending on using one on mine. Probably just needs something bridged to fool it into thinking it is in neutral all the time so that it will start.

As a general rule, auto 4 cyl's are usually pretty ordinary, hard to keep in the powerband, drones, hunts gears up hills, etc. Would be much more enjoyable to drive as a manual, and arguably better on fuel as well.

Assuming the ke55 crossmember is the same style as ke20 the sump fouling it won't be a problem.
    KE20 CA18DET / RN25 12R / IS200 1G / NA MX5 B6

yeah thanks for that, how much could i sell the auto gearbox for and get a manual one for?
    if there isnt much differance i will look into it much much more.
    and is there much extra stuffing around to get the manual g'box and clutch to work?

btw look at the pic of your ke20 very very nice work, lovin your car got me jealous = )

thanks heeeeps happy i got ppl that are switched on and give out info that make sence!!!!!
    Last edited by xjaxsonx; 31-01-2009 at 09:20 PM.

heya can some1 plz tell me if the engine in my silvia is a ca18de? one of my brother mate said it was something else (btw his not into cars much) i think he said it was a ca20 or something.

thanks Dylan = )

No, it's a CA18. The CA20 came out in a local car (the bluebird i think?)

I'd get the manual without hesitation, save for it if you have to. You'll only have to change it out later when you realise how shit an auto is

The gearbox won't be too much, CA stuff is very cheap compared to SR20. You'll need gearbox, clutch assembly, and flywheel, along with the flywheel bolts and the driveshaft. Try CVAP and other importers for a decent deal.

-RM.

*clicky*

CA boxes, $450.

-RM.

Quote Originally Posted by mullett
    *clicky*

CA boxes, $450.

-RM.
    Shouldn't cost anywhere near that.. i paid $250 for mine through a shop, for a CA18DET box, with warranty. As it happens i bought an auto engine and box combo and swapped everything over, so this i can help with...

You need:
    -Gearbox - ~$250-300 for CA18DET. DE should be cheaper, and you can use one from a CA20E bluebird they are the same
    -Clutch and PP kit - $400ish for heavy duty?
    -Manual flywheel bolts, have to be genuine as they are a retarded thread.. $100ish
    -S/H manual flywheel - $90
    -Machine the above -$40 i think?
    -The blanking plate that goes between the bellhousing and the motor is different between auto and manual. I sourced through ns.com and paid $30ish
    -Bush that goes in the middle of the flywheel where the input shaft sits $SFA

Thats based on me having gone through the same process. I sold my auto gearbox on ebay for $100, i was happy just to get rid of it, it was sitting there for ages..

I also got a brand new slave cylinder, was less than $10. I am using an ae86 clutch master, they are the same bore as a silvia unit

Also, while you have the flywheel off do the rear main seal. They don't cost much. Most parts like this you can get from your local parts store, just say it is for an EXA and they will likely have it on the shelf. This applies to everything on the front of the motor, timing belt / tensioners and whathaveyou. Not sure about clutch though i ordered to suit silvia.

thanks!!! = ) will its be easier for me because im on a very tight budget to just keep the auto g'box on the ca18de
    and when the time comes around to buy the ca18det engine i will get a manual one and just get some new g'box mounts and it should be sweet?

the only reason the ca18de is going in is to get me some driving skills and to please the parents = )

but once the ca18de is in and running all i need to do is save up the coin to get the ca18det engine and gearbox to get started. because i have a back up car for the time that my baby will be off the road on the second conversion.

if there are any real pains that putting the ca18det engine and manual gearbox in after a ca18de with auto gearbox. please do let me know!!

thank heeeps again you two!!!!

because my big problem is that i only have about 1.5 - 2g cash ready to go.
    so i was trying to keep as much of that for getting the engine it and running.

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic

Quote Originally Posted by Bananaman
    As far as i'm aware the auto ECU is fine, i was intending on using one on mine. Probably just needs something bridged to fool it into thinking it is in neutral all the time so that it will start.
    Nissan ECU's of this era don't inhibit through the ecu, its a switch on the gearbox so yeah doing a manual conversion later on will be fine, the auto ecu is seperate in the early generation nissan ecu's.

Quote Originally Posted by xjaxsonx
    heya can some1 plz tell me if the engine in my silvia is a ca18de? one of my brother mate said it was something else (btw his not into cars much) i think he said it was a ca20 or something.

thanks Dylan = )
    Depends, do you have an S12 or S13 silvia wreck? S12's have CA20E's and there a heap of crap (and thats being nice) whilst 1988-1990ish S13's have CA18DE/DETs and later S13s have SR20DE/DETs.

Also the wiring for early ECCS based Nissan ECU's isn't that hard, from memory there used to be some info stating the minimum requirements for CA18 ECU's to run, incase you can't work it out yourself. Do a search and you might find it.

That price for the gearbox seems much better.

To be honest mate, in light of the info above about the CA20 box being the same, I'd buy a wrecked or dead-engined bluebird with a manual CA20, or hunt down your local pick-a-part or wreckers for one. That way you can take EVERYTHING you need, you can use the flywheel, clutch, bushing, slave cylinder etc, you could probably pick a whole car up for $200-400, and if you're going to learn to drive and practice in this car, a manual is a total must. Apart from anything else, it'll make the car a dream instead of a dog to drive Remember that a B+M shift kit will cost at least $500 (if they even make them for the CA box) plus the fitting of the internal valving, and they only let you go up gears, not down...and at the end of the day, it's still a sloppy-ass auto box

-my 2c

-RM.

Quote Originally Posted by XR Pilot
    Nissan ECU's of this era don't inhibit through the ecu, its a switch on the gearbox so yeah doing a manual conversion later on will be fine, the auto ecu is seperate in the early generation nissan ecu's.

Depends, do you have an S12 or S13 silvia wreck? S12's have CA20E's and there a heap of crap (and thats being nice) whilst 1988-1990ish S13's have CA18DE/DETs and later S13s have SR20DE/DETs.

Also the wiring for early ECCS based Nissan ECU's isn't that hard, from memory there used to be some info stating the minimum requirements for CA18 ECU's to run, incase you can't work it out yourself. Do a search and you might find it.
    i think its a s13 i will go have a look if there is any engine plates.
    heres a side pic of the silvia. http://i41.tinypic.com/29nf8k7.jpg

i would be very happy to pay around $400 for that i need. just with money as tight as it is i couldn't afford to spend up to 1g on gearbox on conversion.
    i will be seaching around at the part shop and wreckers to see if i can grab what im after.

thanks!!! = )

Yep, that's S13. There's probably quite a lot of parts you could rat from that, including brakes, rear differential and suspention assembly (too hard to put in the corolla, but good for another project...) seats etc.

-RM.