Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Car shakes

Gorilla Industries Conversion King Koffee-Black's Avatar

Default Car shakes

hey guys, the car is pretty rough. I was thinking i may need to change my engine mounts? I don know what the symptoms maybe for that, but what i have is, if Im stationary, and rev really slowly, some points of the rev range get really shakey! Could it be engine mounts?

Junior Member Too Much Toyota oldcorollas's Avatar

Default Re: Car shakes

i guess you'd hope that the engine wouldn't want to shake that much anyway..

what sort of rpm?
    are you having any ignition probs or fuel probs? missing can cause engine shaking. this will be exacerbated by any broken or loose engine mounts tho...

havent lost a rod/ piston?
    "I'm a Teaspoon, not a mechanic"
    "There is hardly anything in the world that a man can not make a little worse and sell a little cheaper" - John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

AU$TRALIA... come and stay and PAY and PAY!!! The moral high horse of the world!

Toymods Club Member #274 Backyard Mechanic Rallystanza's Avatar

Just double check all the new piping and hose connections now that you have changed to a FMIC.

But sounds like you have a miss somewhere....

Good luck,

Jeremy

engine is perfect and it did happen before i put the intercooler on. About 1.5-2rpm it shakes quitw vigrously

Hey guys, I was on the freeway, and I thought I will see what happens past 120, and at 140, the car shook like a washing machine!! Like really bad. I had the cars alignement done about a month ago. What are engine mounts cost usually?? I got a price of TRD Mounts, and they are $104US each, is it worth it?? Dunno what Genuine Toyota are.

Gary Motorsport Inc. Too Much Toyota takai's Avatar

The TRD engine mounts are extremely stiff and will transmit even more vibrations into the car than the stock mounts. I have them on my AE86 IPRA car and while they are great for racing and restricting the movement of the engine under load they do have a fairly detrimental effect on comfort.
    -Chris | Garage takai - Breaking cars since 1998
    Sparky - AE86 IPRA Racer | RZN149 Hilux - Parts and Car Hauler
    I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

Ahh ok ok, Maybe they have TRD Mounts already ehehehe.

The car is very shakey in the steering wheel above 120, like the alignment is way out. Its the worse as im driving to Melb on thursday, and can only stick to the speed limit hehehe.

Excited Member Grease Monkey thomasbl's Avatar

I have noticed that you have another thread up about your car not boosting properly and having running issues. I would be looking to see if you have some sort of miss that is CAUSING the vibration before jumping to an engine mount conclusion. Yes, if your mounts are stuffed or very stiff you will notice a vibration more, but if your engine is shaking around that much while you are stationary, i would check other possibilities as well as mounts.

is damn glad to meet ya. Domestic Engineer andy's Avatar

very strange. if you put the clutch in on the freeway(or put it in neutral) and the vibrations are still there then its prob your wheel banacing. maybe a weight fell off....

i thought there was sever problems with my car but it was just a rear wheel off balance.
    you can do anything at http://www.zombo.com/
    the only limitation is yourself

Junior Member Too Much Toyota YLD-16L's Avatar

The car is very shakey in the steering wheel above 120
    As mentioned, this will be most likely be wheel balancing. The causes could be:

>Balance weight has fallen off = get wheels balanced.

>Flat spotted tyre in a recent lock up (easily dismissed if you haven't locked it up ) = fit them to rear of car and "spin" them till round again.

>A big lump of crap sitting inside the rim i.e. a lump of mud or tar etc. = clean wheel.

>Tyre delaminating or "egging" = feel tyre with hand and if "egged" or delaminating then replace.

if Im stationary, and rev really slowly, some points of the rev range get really shakey! Could it be engine mounts?
    Not likely. Is the shakiness associated with any other unusual engine noises?
    My KE25 thread
    WSID - 12.8@108mph || Wakefield Park - 1:11.4 || SDMA Hillclimb - 49.1

Actually, at first i thought it could have been the tyres, but I changed them, same thing. I will checkt he weights/balanceing again.

Could a Bent Chasis result in this? the tyres are noisy too, the ones that came with the car were really bad, so I changed to SP9000 Dunlop, much better, but can still hear.

Toymods Net Nazi Too Much Toyota river's Avatar

Hi,

You mentioned in your first post that it happens when you're stationary. If so, then it can't be an issue with your wheels.

If it only happens when you're moving then look at the wheel balances and also your tailshaft in case it's out of balance also.

seeyuzz
    river
    The thinking man's clown and the drinking woman's sex symbol
    RA25GT - There is no substitute | 18R-G - Toyota's Dependable Masterpiece
    Toymods Car Club Treasurer, assistant Historic Plate Registrar & Forums Admin

Can you rebalance tailshafts? i thought this might be it, but that doesnt move at idle does it?

Junior Member Too Much Toyota YLD-16L's Avatar

Can you rebalance tailshafts?
    Yes

but that doesnt move at idle does it?
    Correct, only whilst the car is in motion. So that won't be your stationary free revving vibration that you are trying to find the cause of.
    Last edited by YLD-16L; 28-03-2006 at 03:30 PM. Reason: speeling
    My KE25 thread
    WSID - 12.8@108mph || Wakefield Park - 1:11.4 || SDMA Hillclimb - 49.1

Toymods Net Nazi Too Much Toyota river's Avatar

Hi,

You need to put the car in neutral, lift the bonnet and have a look at the engine when you rev it to see what's moving/vibrating.

Check your fan/generator/air-con belts aren't shaking all over the place to remove any bad accessory or pump causing the issue. Check the engine mounts to see if they're loose or broken. Just look for any visible signs when the vibration starts to see if you can pin point where it's coming from. Also, listen out for strange knock or click sounds, that will get faster as you rev, etc.

If it all looks okay, then it must be something in the engine that's out of balance. Can a flywheel cause this?

seeyuzz
    river
    The thinking man's clown and the drinking woman's sex symbol
    RA25GT - There is no substitute | 18R-G - Toyota's Dependable Masterpiece
    Toymods Car Club Treasurer, assistant Historic Plate Registrar & Forums Admin