Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1uz Ms65. I Need Some Advise

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Default 1uz Ms65. I Need Some Advise

As the title says I am in need of some advise. I just purchased a MS65 Crown and my plans are to do 1UZ conversion. From the little research i have done I have found some pics of this being done but no real specs or descriptions. My brother sugested that if I want to go V8 I may be better off with a 302 or 351 Windsor, as it maybe easier to fit.
    The only thing is, my preference is the 1UZ!

Any advise or tips is more than welcome.

Default Re: 1uz Ms65. I Need Some Advise

Excellent choice of platform there mate!

Anyway-yes, it can be done. The primary difficulty is the headers on the 1UZ fouling on the top suspension arm. You need the 1UZ half-cut that has the most compact headers-or make your own once it's in there.

You'll also need custom engine mounts, but you may be able to re-use the ones from the front-cut with adaptor brackets to the original mounting points on the the Crown chassis. The advantage of the crown is the full chassis, meaning you have big, thick chassis section to weld mounts to wherever you like if the need arises.

I suspect also that some mods to the sump and oil pick up will be needed, but that's easy stuff. (pick a front-cut with a mid or front-sump config.)

The trans will fit in the tunnel fine, and you can re-use the MS-65 shifter or fit the front-cut one instead.

A new radiator-or the one from the front-cut would also be adviseable.

Obviously a surge-tank and EFI fuel pump is needed, but the std fuel lines are big enough. One thing I'd suggest is at least vented discs from a later crown, or bigger again if you have the chance.

It's all prettymuch custom-type work, but far from impossible, and there are plenty of guys here that can help you with advice on what, where, how much, how big etc.

Hope this helps
    Sean
    [email protected], WSID, COMPAK ATTAK, MAY 2006

Toymods V8 Member Too Much Toyota CrUZida's Avatar

Putting a 1UZ into a Pre UZS131 crown, I'd ONLY be choosing a UZS131 front cut.

It already has the mid sump, it already has the compact headers, and its already tilted to clear the steering box (at least on the UZS131 it is).

If you intend to mount if flat, I'd suggest some trickery is required.

The UZS131 mounts put the motor on a slight lean, passengers side down.
    In doing so the sump is on a slight lean (compared to the motor), and so is the oil pickup.
    Find out from GT what he did. I can't remember if he left it on an angle, or mounted it flat, and what he did with the pickup.
    The lean is purely to do with clearing the steering box, nothing to do with oil drainage.

Also, the transmission is on a lean too (compared to the motor, but on the same plane as the sump) so that when the motor is tilted, the autotrans sump is flat.
    If you mount the motor flat, you will need a different bellhousing.
    The UZS131 runs a U2 bellhousing, which rotates the tranny to keep it flat. Every other 1UZ runs a U1 bellhousing, which keeps it all level.
    Peewee
    1985 MZ12 Soarer - 1UZ Powered
    2013 86 GTS

Plumber Automotive Encyclopaedia Robbos_Toyotas's Avatar

I have a hot 302 windsor in my ma61...they are a really nice motor to work. its up to you what you want from the car...the 1uz will require a rack and pinion conversion as it is actually wider than a ford cleveland from memory...let alone a windsor...if you want cheap power with potential go the 1uz, but if u want some fun with buckets of torque and still lots of potential go the windsor. Just expect to fork out for bottom end bits if u want big power. Mine has cost me lots...but the bottom end bar the block (dunno there) are good for at least 8-900hp

thanks guys, I really appreciate the advise.

Yep they look great Carport Converter gianttomato's Avatar

I mounted it flat but remember I had to go rack and pinion to make room.

Everything else has been covered above. I strongly recommend using a UZS131 halfcut. It has the correct sump.
    Last edited by gianttomato; 18-03-2006 at 01:13 AM.

Toymods V8 Member Too Much Toyota CrUZida's Avatar

What did you do about the sump/pickup/tranny being on an angle with the motor flat?
    Peewee
    1985 MZ12 Soarer - 1UZ Powered
    2013 86 GTS

Nothing. The tilt is less than 5 degrees.

Looks like I all I need now is some $$$$$$$. Can anyone help me with that?

On the trans tilting issue, I've got the A340 in the crown tilted around 20 degrees. I didn't modify the pickup, and just keep it a bit over-full to compensate. Initially it was a suck-it-and-see, but hasn't given any probs so far.

Sean, by default that's what happens with the 1UZ- A340 combo when tilting it flat. Engine is tilted back maybe 3-4 degrees towards the driver's side. The dipsticks for both are on the passenger's side so they naturally are up slightly higher. Filling them to the full mark automatically slightly overfills them.

I have not had an issue at all. I've done all manner of stupid launches, driving up and down steep inclines and never seen a low oil pressure.

The only other issue is that I used Soarer engine mounts and used some Mackay pillow mounts to mount the engine on some bits of custom plate that I welded to the chassis. Just made life a shiteload easier. The Mackay's pillow mounts were $30 as opposed to the original Soarer jobbies which I understand are in the hundreds.

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic

I have some pics of the 1uz sitting in the 80 series chassis if your interested. I just can't seem to upload them here. They must be too big?????

As CrUZida said, use the uzs131 front cut and you can't go wrong. No steerin mods necessary.

Yeh throw the pics up if you can

Hey GT, do you have any pics/spec posted up anywhere of your 1uz crown?

Quote Originally Posted by gianttomato
    I mounted it flat but remember I had to go rack and pinion to make room.

Everything else has been covered above. I strongly recommend using a UZS131 halfcut. It has the correct sump.
    What rack did you use dave? Also, did you change the length of the steering arms at all? I ask as all the racks I looked at so far have been attached to short steering arms, meaning I'd lose some turning circle.

I'm wondering if maybe a 1UZ and trans would go well in the MS123 I've picked up for free...