Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: MX83/JZX81 swap...done to death but this is how i did it!

Corona loving Grease Monkey TTMX83's Avatar

Default Re: MX83/JZX81 swap...done to death but this is how i did it!

Quote Originally Posted by brett_celicacoupe
    no chance, unless someone has added an extra runner to the TB and taped in extra wires to the body loom.
    Some did, I have seen pics.... As far as I know, they were electronic as opposed to our vacuum cruise.

I am unsure if there is a difference in the Ser I and Ser II looms, only as far as color codes go. There are a few pins that need to be swapped around before you can plug it together. Try looking for info on here and on toyotacressida.net.

Founding ****** Automotive Encyclopaedia Mos's Avatar

just a bit confused and want someone to tell me it just doesnt 'plug in'
    It just doesn't plug in

it seems that the 2 grey body plugs on the 1JZ engine loom will fit the MX83 dash/body loom. the wires seem the same colours and thicknesses. same goes for the white MX83 dash plug, it mates no problems with the 1JZ engine loom plug. i will thoroughly check later though
    One plug is the same shape, the other plug is larger on the JZ. The pinout is partially different (enough to send the output of the EFI relay straight to ground and blow fuses) and there are extra wires on the JZ.
    The white dash plug should be the same (but the tacho signal is low voltage so you'll either need to swap the tacho out of the JZ or install a tacho booster).

now i just had a look and the dash plug to the ecu is 22pin for both the 7MGE (MX83) and the 1JZGTE(JZX81). surely this isnt just a plug-and-play for everything
    No, it is not the same pinout but can be mostly repinned with some minor alterations.

there is however a dash->ecu plug unique to the jZX81, labelled "pigtail" here (8 pin)
    is this just associated with the extra auto features on the centre console? i see "MANU" "POWER" and "TRC OFF".
    but.......VTA and IDL2 rings a bell for TPS
    For some reason I think that should be VTA2 and not VTA but I don't have notes with me right now to make sure - it refers to the traction control tps. You can tie IDL2 to signal ground (E2) and VTA2 to VC (+5V) if you remove the traction control tps and butterfly.
    NCO is the front speed sensor off the auto and is important. These wires come off the larger grey plug and should be the same colour (on both sides of the plug, ie engine loom -> cowl loom), and twisted together.
    As far as I remember, manu, pwr goes through the 22pin ecu connector coming off the chassis - MX has the pwr pin already there (no manu pin, but there may be an N for normal pin). TRC off will go to the traction control computer (in the boot of the JZ iirc, so you probably don't have it).

this halfcut has an electrically driven cruise controller. it seems to be integrated into the body loom, something which seems to be a no-no for swapping (REFER: http://forums.toyotacressida.net/for...96&postcount=7 )
    Can't access the link. Can you take photos? If it's a round plug with....7 pins, it's probably very very factory. There are many toyotas that don't have cruise control but the wiring is there (ST185 just as an example) - there is nothing to say it wasn't an factory option - if it has a switch on the steering wheel and an "speed control" or similar under the steering column (either 26 or 22 pin connector that looks like an ECU connector) it's highly likely it's just a factory option.
    The cruise control motor seems to be pretty standard with a 7 pin round connector - it depends where it goes to - ie second lever on the throttle body or to the accelerator pedal inside the cabin. I've never seen one on a JZX81 half cut, but I've seen all the appropriate looming and plugs.

If my assumptions are correct, you have a few choices.
    1) Stick with the MX83 cruise
    2) Reuse the entire JZX81 half cut loom (and worry about the wiring to the rear of the car)
    3) Add the bits for the motorised cruise actuator to the MX83 loom (possibly only those 7 wires, and swap the controller, but might be more r&d required - I toyed with the idea of using the Aristo cruise actuator on the 2JZ by adding the wiring for the 7 pin connector, but never got around to doing it, so there may be details that stop it from working).
    (Oh yeah, it's possible the JDM controller only does the 107km/h or whatever the max cruise speed is).

summing up, can i just connect the factory MX83 body loom plugs to the 1JZGTE ECU and engine loom and have everything work? (i will double check pin labels on respective ECU PCB boards later)
    No, you cannot just do that (as above).

im also aware the alt wiring need to be lengthened
    Sure does (Or find a way to use the engine bay loom, but the front section of the JZ is different to the MX in a few ways - I don't think it will just plug in and work but I can't remember the subtle differences).

no chance, unless someone has added an extra runner to the TB and taped in extra wires to the body loom.
    Actually, could you please please post photos? I'm really curious about this extra runner? Do you mean extra throttle cable?

Good luck!

Edit: deja vue - post 22

Mos.
    Last edited by Mos; 29-03-2007 at 02:18 AM.
    Admin, I.T., Founding Member, Toymods Car Club Inc.
    2000 IS200 Sports Luxury 1UZ-FE VVTi, 1991 MX83 Grande 2JZ-GTE (sold)

User Conversion King

thanks mos!
    very helpful as usual

ill get pics of the cruise setup tonight. basically its located where the MX83 washer bottle would be. big black plastic cover, looks very legit
    hello

User Conversion King

pics as promised. note the black cover for it sitting on the strut tower, i removed it for pics

hello

..and you can even see the grey round plug

Mos.

User Conversion King

im 99% sure its factory.

what do you think?
    hello

There is no doubt If you're curious, look up the part number on an EPC.
    It's got the switch/lever on the steering column or wheel?

Mos.

User Conversion King

yeh the cruise stick is on the column in the same position as the MX83 cruise. the stick and controls are identical.

only difference is the MX83's say "cruise ON/OFF"
    the JZX81 says "AD ON/OFF" (something like that). id presume the AD means automatic drive or something to the japs
    hello

TA22WEPN Grease Monkey Ta22Wepn's Avatar

Can someone please tell me whether these wiring diagrams are front on view or the as if you are looking at the back of the plug
    Originally Posted by tricky
    Obviously well travelled sheilas realise that a back massage is simply a way of sneakily depositing bum lube for deviant pleasure

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia

With the ecu pinouts its looking at the ecu pins , which is the same as looking at the back of the plug anyway.
    Dave

turbo-a Grease Monkey

Great job on the swap!. Looks like it was meant to be there.Having a couple of dyno guys that weight must have stopped any power lost through wheel spin on the rollers..
    Turbo-A lives here!