Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: MX83/JZX81 swap...done to death but this is how i did it!

Founding ****** Automotive Encyclopaedia Mos's Avatar

Default Re: MX83/JZX81 swap...done to death but this is how i did it!

Few of my experiences (may not be definitive):

JZX81 ABS hydraulics not compatible with MX83 because it also has traction control (actuator on D/S strut tower). JZX81 front cut will not contain the TRC ECU which is in the boot - so ditch the TRC lines if swapping everything from JZX81 front cut.

JZX81 ECT ECU (inside engine ECU case) expects different number of pulses from the ABS ECU than the MX83 ABS ECU provides. JZX81 ABS gearbox speed sensor is compatible with MX83 ABS ECU.
    Failure to install SP2 pin with the ABS sensor hooked up makes auto transmission work correctly with ECT error code - ABS sensor signal needs to be divided appropriately to feed SP2 to fix without error code.

Majority of plugs don't need to be cut, just repinned, and some added. If you want to keep the hydraulic fan you need to be creative with running the cabling for the hyd fan ECU (sits around the steering column in JZX81 - can be made to hang off engine loom behind glovebox).

Swapping entire looming from JZX81 deletes MX83 cruise control (I'm not aware of any JZX81s having cruise control - anyone?).

JZX81 tacho output is low amplitude, MX83 cluster expects high amplitude - either use a tacho booster or swap the tacho from the JZX81 if you got one with an analogue tacho.

That's all I can think of right now

Summarising answer - repin and add, don't swap.

Mos.
    Admin, I.T., Founding Member, Toymods Car Club Inc.
    2000 IS200 Sports Luxury 1UZ-FE VVTi, 1991 MX83 Grande 2JZ-GTE (sold)

Corona loving Grease Monkey TTMX83's Avatar

Some JZX81's came with cruise. I think it was electronic though, the actuator is mounted on the pass side and the cable goes directly to the throttle boby, not the acc pedal.

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic jzk25's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mos
    JZX81 tacho output is low amplitude, MX83 cluster expects high amplitude - either use a tacho booster or swap the tacho from the JZX81 if you got one with an analogue tacho.

Mos.
    Mos, can you help me out with a tacho booster for my brothers JZX83?

Just Another Part Time Grease Monkey

Everything MOS says is correct - as usual

When doing my conversion I just left the cruise control from the MX83 as it was and it worked.

I extended the hoses for the power steering reservoir so it could sit under the wiper motor (unmounted but snug fit). This allowed the cruise control module to remain where it was.

Only trouble is unwanted boost getting to the cruise unit so a one way valve needs to be installed and then a vacumn reservoir T'ed onto the vac lines so it has enough vacumn to allow the car to maintain speed up a big hill.

It is satisfying how agressive the cruise is when you get it to accelerate up to a predefined speed.

I kept the MX83 cruise on mine in the standard spot too. I extended the power steering lines a bit too so it sits more rearward on the strut tower. I found I had to put a one way valve on the cruise as well. I found it is a lot more aggressive than before when the 7M was in there, not really a problem. Up a hill, it is very keen to shift back to 3rd and it holds it a lot longer. Here is a pic of my bay:

The main power cables from the alternator have since been tucked behind the timing belt cover and I have a non-TRC throttle body on it.

Cheers Brad.

Cressyskidder Grease Monkey Bowlsclubboy's Avatar

Thanks for all the replies guys, it's sure to help a lot of people out there to build their commodore driver ego bruising cressies heh

There wasnt a whole lot of information readily available when i did my swap, so i went for the easiest option in my eyes at least and it was pretty straightforward, just a fair bit more labour than the repinning method you guys describe. I was kinda scared of frying things if i stuffed up some wiring...only had one close call while trying to get my overdrive to work (thought it was my greddy SCC causing the problems so i screwed around with that) and i blew the fuse on the ECU...lucky it caught it heh...

If anyone has a analogue jzx81 cluster they want to get rid of, i'd be happy to take it off their hands...even better would be a GX81 1ggte dash with 9000rpm tacho mmmm hehe.

One more thing Mos, if i just copy the colours on the plugs from the MX83 loom, and transfer the mx83 dashboard plugs onto my JZX81 loom (along with a simple tacho booster on the tacho signal line), would i then have a functioning analogue speedo, tacho, water temp and fuel gauge? Or would things start making smoke? haha
    Cheers,

Troy
    1992 MX83 Cressida Grande-1JZ-GTE...Actively Dori.

Quote Originally Posted by Bowlsclubboy
    One more thing Mos, if i just copy the colours on the plugs from the MX83 loom, and transfer the mx83 dashboard plugs onto my JZX81 loom (along with a simple tacho booster on the tacho signal line), would i then have a functioning analogue speedo, tacho, water temp and fuel gauge? Or would things start making smoke? haha
    The cluster signals are on the white plug, including all the shifter position lights, reverse lights, speedo (only on electronic speedo models), tacho (requires booster), water temp (signal and ground) and oil light.

The fuel gauge comes in through the driver's side kick panel and is not affected by the engine loom.

Just copying wire colours without being sure of their function is a path to disaster.

On the 20 pin JZX81 grey plug some wires perform the same function as the ones on the 16 pin MX83 grey plug. Other wires are used for things such as the hydraulic fan solenoid, extra diagnostic pins, traction control TPS signals to the engine ECU, etc.

The 15 pin grey plug on both looms is pinned differently although some pins are the same. Some colours are the same and some are different eg: there are four Black/yellow wires on the JZX81 plug and they all do something different depending on their position... There are at least two wires on this plug in the MX83 that have to go directly to the last ECU plug on the JZX81.

So it's not as simple as "repin" - kinda must be the right wires You have both looms there, you're not working blind

Quote Originally Posted by TTMX83
    Some JZX81's came with cruise. I think it was electronic though, the actuator is mounted on the pass side and the cable goes directly to the throttle boby, not the acc pedal.
    That would make sense given the second throttle cable entry. Hmm need to revisit the JZX81 loom to see if there's a plug for it
    (A lot of other cars, such as GT4s, did not have cruise control, but the loom had the necessary plugs for the electronic cruise actuator and ECU).

Quote Originally Posted by jzk25
    Mos, can you help me out with a tacho booster for my brothers JZX83?
    Yes, I can. Please Pm me for details.

Mos.
    Last edited by Mos; 09-07-2006 at 11:42 AM.

I have just made a post on the Cressida forum of my accounts:

click me
    Last edited by TTMX83; 26-02-2007 at 06:08 PM.

Don't Trust Me I'm A Backyard Mechanic Jabtronic's Avatar

Are there any wiring differences between the Series I and Series II MX83?

Yes...

Mos.

Don't Trust Me I'm A Backyard Mechanic Jabtronic's Avatar

Ok would anybody be able to tell me what the differences are? I only need to know for the Series I body to ECU plug. I've tried searching but found nothing in particular about the actual differences in wiring.

This is the standard Series II body plug.

That one is the same.

Mos.

User Conversion King

thread revival time!

im putting a markII 1jz & a341e in a series 2 grande MX83.

just a bit confused and want someone to tell me it just doesnt 'plug in'

it seems that the 2 grey body plugs on the 1JZ engine loom will fit the MX83 dash/body loom. the wires seem the same colours and thicknesses. same goes for the white MX83 dash plug, it mates no problems with the 1JZ engine loom plug. i will thoroughly check later though

now i just had a look and the dash plug to the ecu is 22pin for both the 7MGE (MX83) and the 1JZGTE(JZX81). surely this isnt just a plug-and-play for everything

there is however a dash->ecu plug unique to the jZX81, labelled "pigtail" here (8 pin)

is this just associated with the extra auto features on the centre console? i see "MANU" "POWER" and "TRC OFF".
    but.......VTA and IDL2 rings a bell for TPS

this halfcut has an electrically driven cruise controller. it seems to be integrated into the body loom, something which seems to be a no-no for swapping (REFER: http://forums.toyotacressida.net/for...96&postcount=7 )
    Quote Originally Posted by cressida gun from other forums
    Just an update to the swap.

I have had the (unfortunate) pleasure of witnessing a JZX83 swap using the entire loom from a JZX81 front cut. My reccomendation is don't do this. It seems to be far more work than just repinning a few wires into the MX83 loom.

Using the wiring from the front cut requires more knowledge and labour than repinning. Sure if you are comfortable doing it, go for it.

Good luck to all.

summing up, can i just connect the factory MX83 body loom plugs to the 1JZGTE ECU and engine loom and have everything work? (i will double check pin labels on respective ECU PCB boards later)

im also aware the alt wiring need to be lengthened

help appreciated

cheers,
    Brett
    hello

Cressyskidder Grease Monkey Bowlsclubboy's Avatar

If you swap 'EVERYTHING' like i did, it will work...well in my case it did!
    I think the only things that didnt work were: Fuel gauge, ABS and trac control...i couldnt be bothered getting the wiring sorted with the fual gauge and i put non ABS lines in shortly after anyway lol.

as far as i'm aware, no JZX81 came out with factory cruise either so this is prolly a ghetto mod.
    1992 MX83 Cressida Grande-1JZ-GTE...Actively Dori.

User Conversion King

Quote Originally Posted by Bowlsclubboy

as far as i'm aware, no JZX81 came out with factory cruise either so this is prolly a ghetto mod.
    no chance, unless someone has added an extra runner to the TB and taped in extra wires to the body loom.
    hello