Thread: Help needed with JZA70 1JZ into MX83 wiring (custom wiring diagram inside)

Don't Trust Me I'm A Backyard Mechanic Jabtronic's Avatar

Default Help needed with JZA70 1JZ into MX83 wiring (custom wiring diagram inside)

Hi,
    I just replaced the 1JZ engine wiring loom in my cressida, and am redoing the wiring from scratch.. the wiring was previously done when I got the engine but wasn't done properly and I was having some electrical problems which is why I decided to do it again.

So anyway, there are plenty of guides on JXZ81 -> MX83 conversions and that's basically plug and play.. however the JZA70 loom (and plugs) are different, there's almost nothing written up for JZA70 -> MX83 so I'm doing it all myself and have run into a few things I'm unsure about.

So here's the diagram I've drawn up....

Keep in mind my car doesn't have aircon and I've got an R154 so all the A/C and A/T stuff can be ditched.

I've pretty much got the white plug sorted (dash lights etc), just not sure about a few things on the JZA70 IH1 plug, I've labeled it all so hopefully it's all pretty self explainatory? I've been using the japanese JZA70 wiring diagram to follow the wires from the IH1 plug but I'm still a bit confused. I just need some pointers on the FC and FP connections etc that I've labelled with question marks.

Here's the jza70 wiring
    http://www.jzgte.com/tech/1jzgte/1JZ...iring.v1.1.pdf

Any help would be greatly appreciated, cheers
    Last edited by Jabtronic; 07-01-2009 at 01:58 AM.

Backyard Fabricator Automotive Encyclopaedia

Default Re: Help needed with JZA70 1JZ into MX83 wiring (custom wiring diagram inside)

IH1 pin 6 is for fuel pump speed control, I'd have to look up my mx83 diagrams to determine what pin that needs connection to.

IH1 pin 4 is the actual "control" for the fuel pump, comes from the FC pin on the ECU. In the mx83 the AFM switched this circuit so you need to wire it to the MX83 grey plug pin 15

I'd also ensure you hook up the W pin from the ECU to the MX83 check engine light.

RZN169R+2JZGTEVVTI+R151 Domestic Engineer madmont's Avatar

Default Re: Help needed with JZA70 1JZ into MX83 wiring (custom wiring diagram inside)

The green wire in the square grey plug is used to turn on the circuit opening relay to run the fuel pump .In the MX83 it was connected to a switch in the AFM which closed when there was airflow. The circuit opening relay on the MX83 is also operated when the starter is operated. The fuel pump relay is operated by the ecu, I think it was a green/red wire, and will need to be connected The blue/red wire which went to fp in the check connector goes directly to the fuel pump
    Jealousy is a curse

Quote Originally Posted by JP
    IH1 pin 6 is for fuel pump speed control, I'd have to look up my mx83 diagrams to determine what pin that needs connection to.

IH1 pin 4 is the actual "control" for the fuel pump, comes from the FC pin on the ECU. In the mx83 the AFM switched this circuit so you need to wire it to the MX83 grey plug pin 15

I'd also ensure you hook up the W pin from the ECU to the MX83 check engine light.
    Ok great, since I've removed the fuel pump resistor and shorted the wires to run the pump full speed, does that mean I won't need to hook up IH1 pin #6?
    EDIT: When comparing the wiring on each wiring diagram, IH1 pin #6 is pin FPR on the MX83 which is on the ECU connector.

I wasn't sure about the check engine light wire coming from IG1 because there's already a W pin coming out of the ECU and it gets repinned into the W pin of the MX83 ECU plug, so can I leave the IG1 CEL pin #19?

Quote Originally Posted by madmont
    The green wire in the square grey plug is used to turn on the circuit opening relay to run the fuel pump .In the MX83 it was connected to a switch in the AFM which closed when there was airflow. The circuit opening relay on the MX83 is also operated when the starter is operated. The fuel pump relay is operated by the ecu, I think it was a green/red wire, and will need to be connected The blue/red wire which went to fp in the check connector goes directly to the fuel pump
    I think I've found the correct green/red fuel pump relay wire which is in the MX83 ECU body plug above (FPR), where do I repin this to? I'm guessing pin #16 on the 1JZ ECU connector X (labelled FP)? EDIT: I just traced the wires on both diagrams, and I can run MX83 FPR wire to either ECU connector X pin #16 or IH1 pin #6 as they're both the same.

I can't find the blue/red wire on the MX83 diagram (at bottom of post)

Here's the whole MX83 engine wiring diagram with the pages joined together.

Last edited by Jabtronic; 07-01-2009 at 05:09 PM.

RZN169R+2JZGTEVVTI+R151 Domestic Engineer madmont's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jabtronic
    I can't find the blue/red wire on the MX83 diagram (at bottom of post)

Here's the whole MX83 engine wiring diagram with the pages joined together.
    ]
    In your American? diagram it is the wire which starts off as the green/white and ends up as the black/white
    Jealousy is a curse

Ok cheers, +rep both of you.

After studying the both diagrams for JZA70 and MX83 for a while I think I've worked it all out.

Here's my revised diagram

I'll have to check pin16 on the grey MX83 plug in the middle, to see if it really is the FPR like it suggests.
    Last edited by Jabtronic; 07-01-2009 at 07:31 PM.

Toymods V8 Member Too Much Toyota CrUZida's Avatar

Your pink wire is wrong.
    The pink wire is the signal from the dash to the ecu. The pin on the MX83 side you have it wired to is the wire that goes from the speedo sensor to the dash (ie, the one that makes your speedo work). You want to pin that pink wire to pin4 of the first plug (the one incorrectly labelled with SP2, it should be SPD).

Also in regards to the oil pressure light, find which ever one in the JZ loom goes to the oil pressure switch and use that. If you still have the oil pressure sensor installed, remove it and install an oil pressure switch (I'm assuming the MX83 only has an oil pressure guage and not an oil pressure light). Oil warning light may be the level switch (not sure if JZA70 has it?)

STP is only needed for auto's to unlock the torque convertor

WIRE UP THE CEL!!!! (if you haven't already)

You will need to wire up the reverse lights.

You'll possibly find you'll get some of the COR wires wrong. It make take some trial and error to get it right.
    Peewee
    1985 MZ12 Soarer - 1UZ Powered
    2013 86 GTS