Thread: How to remove doorlocks on an AE9x

Cunning Linguist Domestic Engineer The Last Streetfighter's Avatar

Default How to remove doorlocks on an AE9x

After I had to have the car broken into to get the keys out of it, I took the skin off and found that the ring that holds the locker wire onto the barrel had come off. I tried to get it back on and could not figure out how to. There seemed to be a groove in the back of the barrel to put a screwdriver in, so I tried that but it just snapped the groove out.

I am currently running a different ignition key to the door keys due to using the ignition barrell from the import AE101 and no key cutters say that they can duplicate it.

My door key only works in the passenger side due to problem mentioned above.

I want to do keyless entry but I also want to be able to use the key for backup.

What's the best solution to this mess?

Solution 1:

go to a wrecker and grab a key barrel set from an AE92 hatch.

Once you have them they're easy to change.

For the ignition key barrel, take the plastic trim off, put the key in and switch to the accessory position, there's a silver locking pin on the underside of the keybarrel which can be pressed in when the key's in the acc position, press the button in with a small screwdriver or pick while pulling on the key and the barrel will come out.

To get the door barrels out, take the trim off, unfasten the locking arm from the lever and the door opening rod from the handle, undo the two bolts holding the door handle in and take the whole handle out.

For the rear hatch, remove the interior trim, and from memory it uses a spring clip to hold the lock in place, it's been a while since I did the one on my old hatch.

Reply 1:

Thanks for the tip on the ign barrell.

The part that I am having trouble with on the doors is, "unfasten the locking arm from the lever and the door opening rod from the handle,"

How do you fasten/unfasten the locking arm from the lever (mine is already off, but I could not figure out how to get it back on.)

How do you unfasten the door opening rod from the handle?

Does it matter that I snapped the screw at the back of the barrell?

Reply 2

Are you missing the little plastic clips that fasten the rods to the lock arm and door handle arm? They fit into the lever and the handle where the rods are to be located. Once the rod is in position you clip them over the rod to hold it in place.

Reply 3

I am not missing those plastic bits. For the Door opening mechanism, the door handle (exterior) is attached to the door opening link, and at that point there is a bit of white plastic. That bit of plastic clicks off the vertical part of the link easily enough, but it is also bushed inside the bit where it connects to the door handle. How do I get the link (and white bit of plastic) out of the door handle?

Do I need to squeeze the plug bit of the white bit with a pair of 90 deg pliers or something?

Sorry for the confusing layout, I copied from Twincam but was hoping to get some better descriptions/photos
    AE90 Silvertop - GONE; 2001 ST215W GT-T Manual - SOLD; EP82 Starlet GT - Sold
    Now driving 20V Turbo 1.8 N-S FWD

Forum Member Grease Monkey TwentyTwo's Avatar

Default Re: How to remove doorlocks on an AE9x

If I were you I'd head to the wreckers and find an AE9x with the key in the ignition and just pull out all the locks and the barrel, then stick them in your car and have the new key duplicated.
    Lots of cars in wreckers here in Vic have the keys in them, no idea about Qld. Thats the solution that immediately jumps out at me...