Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: 1UZ into Toyota Coaster

Forum Member Grease Monkey

Default Re: 1UZ into Toyota Coaster

Yeah burtha is a camper, was my home on and off for a fair while used to work from it traveling east coast. She has leaf spring front end as do the Dyna trucks with the disk brake front end, I would bet the King pins are around the same size though when I pick up a disk brake front end I'll measure it up for you and you might be able to just swap the hubs etc.

Burtha had 4 100amp hour deap cycle sealed lead acid batterys, 1600 w continious sign wave inverter, 200 amp aultinator, 4 80 watt solar pannels, a 55 L engal van fridge, and a 80 L top load deep freeze. 120 L water tank, electric water pump, sink, convection microwave, Van double bed (sux to small I'm 5 ' 10" and bed is sideways behind drivers seat head on pillow feet touch window durning the night !) Puting a full size double in its place with pillows at driver seat end.

Also has a ramp where boot should be so I can ride a motorbike or two into the rear of burtha, there is a 5 inch metal lathe with mill attachment on one side at rear. Metal tool cabnets on other side. Also has a air compressor under driver rear gard and 8 Kva genset under passanger side rear gard. Bla Bla Bla etc etc

Forum Sponsor Carport Converter TurboRA28's Avatar

Mate that sounds awesome! We currently have a dometic 3 way fridge, 9kg bottle box, gas oven, 2x burner stove top, sink, 3x 70amp sla batteries..

I am planning on fitting 2x 80w panels or maybe 3 now they are so cheap..

I want to fit water tanks, but can only find room for around a 70l tank which would sit next to the side step, between step and rear wheel. I could put another same size on the other side behind the fuel tank.. But interested to know where a 120l tank fitted?

Also im really stuck with the 3 way fridge.. basically if fits neatly under a side window.. but the upper vent cant get higher than the fridge due to the window. I didn't really want to remove the window.. any ideas on that one?

Any pics?
    1977 RA28 Celica - 1MZ-FE Members Rides
    1996 FZJ80 Landcruiser.
    Email : [email protected]

My water tank is between the chassie rails behind diff , better to have it mounted central for weight issues as every L of water is a kg . As for the fridge I used electric compressor fridges, better in the hotter climates 3 ways dont cut it to good when it gets above 35 deg c regually. If you want to persist with a 3 way use a pair of 6 inch computer fans (can be bought in 12 volt) to extract the hot air make sure cool air vent comes up from underneath bus and has little restriction put a 90 deg bend on it facing forward so when your driving along fresh air is pumped through the system.

Forum Sponsor Carport Converter TurboRA28's Avatar

Where did you put the spare tyre? That is where mine sits..
    If I did it again i'd go a compressor fridge with some more solar/batteries.. But this was taken over half finished from my old man and he already had the fridge for it so thought should make use of what I can.
    1977 RA28 Celica - 1MZ-FE Members Rides
    1996 FZJ80 Landcruiser.
    Email : [email protected]

Junior Member Grease Monkey

Here's another fridge solution I found a couple of weeks ago. It's supposed to be a low power consumption refrigerant system for use on yachts , boats and "off the grid" campers/motorhomes.

http://ozefridge.com.au/

The spare moves about a bit was toying with putting it on the back of my rear door/ramp but atm it lives on the roof rack. Which is almost the entire lenght of the bus and strong enough to support 6 100kg men a big sun shade and the larger fridge for those trips to the track where everyone is standing and you want to see over them (mostly Superbikes at phillip island)

I'd give ebay a look for a electric fridge there cheap , the 80 L is a two compartment setup with 60L frezer 20 L fridge or 60 L fridge 20 L vegie crisper and it only cost $450 new with good compressor runs on both 24 and 12 volt uses the same power (amp hours per 24 hours) , about 4 amps running at 12 volt (in bus real world tested) as the 55 L engel ! And that was with it set as 60L frezer.

Not to keen on the ozefridge , as there idea is sound but only good as a fridge. they will tell you its ok to use as a frezzer but the way it works is by using a large block of ice trapped in a stainless steel tank as the cooling panel. This block of ice goes through a phase change from ice to liquid delaying when the compressor turns on to make it more effeciant. But this means your frezzer also goes through mini cycles of defrost and frezze also meaning food isnt garenteed to be 100% frozen and prob not down at the -18 deg very often at all. Fine for very short term stuff but no good for food stored for weeks or months.